Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Mike Zimmer to be Minnesota Vikings next coach

By Gregg Rosenthal
    Around The League Editor
    Published: Jan. 15, 2014 at 10:47 a.m.

The Minnesota Vikings have replaced one defensive-minded head coach with another one. Mike Zimmer, passed over for top coaching jobs for many years, finally has his chance to run a team.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday that Zimmer will be the next coach of the Vikings, according to a source. Zimmer, the Cincinnati Bengals' defensive coordinator since 2008, was previously the defensive coordinator for the Dallas Cowboys (2000-06) and Atlanta Falcons (2007).

Zimmer previously had interviewed for five coaching jobs and been passed over for many other interviews despite an excellent body of work as a creative defensive mind. Anyone who has watched Zimmer during three separate seasons on HBO's "Hard Knocks" knows that he is a man who doesn't pull verbal punches. The style might not be for every owner, but Zimmer has earned this shot. He's been great in his career at maximizing his talent and developing defensive players.

Zimmer replaces Leslie Frazier, a defensive coach who couldn't solve Minnesota's offensive issues. NFL Media columnist Michael Silver says to watch out for former Detroit Lions coordinator and St. Louis Rams coach Scott Linehan as a potential offensive coordinator. Silver notes that Zimmer would target Bengals assistant Paul Gunther as defensive coordinator.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...ngs-next-coach

vCash

Nice

ACE
    2-2
    5.19 ERA
    26.0 IP
    27 K
    1.27 WHIP

vCash
    Norv Turner or Scott Linehan as a potential offensive coordinators. Paul Guenther as defensive coordinator.
    It's all coming together now...

I just hope we get Guenther. Washington Redskins are suppose to be looking at him as Defensive Coordinator too, since that's where Jay Gruden went. Marvin Lewis and the Bengals could opt to not allow Zimmer or Gruden to talk with Bengal's linebackers coach Paul Guenther for the DC position though. Guenther is under contract with the Bengals so they can block it. Zimmer would love to have Guenther in Minnesota as his DC, which is why promoting Guenther makes sense for Cincinnati but coach Marvin Lewis could very well choose to go outside the staff. A likely possible name is former Detroit head coach Jim Schwartz. Lewis and Schwartz worked together in Baltimore and the two remain close friends. Even if Guenther becomes defensive coordinator, Schwartz could end up with Cincinnati as linebackers coach. I think though Schwartz is likelier and more deserving of the position than Guenther. My guess is if Zimmer comes to Minnesota so does Guenther.
    Last edited by 84PurplePride; 01-15-2014 at 11:14 AM.

vCash
    This is great news! I'm thinking Guenther is his probable replacement in Cincy. Any new info on who he's looking at for coordinators? I'm hearing Norv Turner for OC, which would be great!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Nice
    i was excited when i heard that the vikings had hired zimmer as thier new head coach.well atleast untill i read he might hire norv turner to run the offense. ive never been a norv fan but anyone is leaps and bounds better then musgrave

vCash
    Finally!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 84PurplePride View Post
    My guess is if Zimmer comes to Minnesota so does Guenther.
    I'd have to think that Cincy saw the writing on the wall and had meetings with Guenther offering him the DC position if that's what they wanted from him. I'd have a hard time believing that he'd turn that position down. He wouldn't have a build anything. Just maintain.

Turner and Guenther sounds pretty good right about now.

vCash
    I will be curious to see if the coordinators get hired before or after the Senior Bowl.

vCash
    uSTADIUM ‏@uSTADIUM 3m
    Will be interesting to see what current #Bengals LB coach Paul Guenther does. He currently has THREE DC offers. #Bengals #Vikings #Redskins
    He's got some decisions to make.

vCash
    Chud or Kubiak wouldn't be bad options either as OC.

vCash
    Norv Turner as a HC, no
    Norv Turner as OC....could certainly do worse, just not sure he'd be as creative with the talent we have

the ONLY question I have re Zimmer is....what WERE the reasons he's not been a HC before?
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

vCash
    ****ing finally. Turner is a great OC in my opinion.

vCash
    I like this move of Zimmer becoming our H.C.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    ...what WERE the reasons he's not been a HC before?
    Stories in the media suggest he's pretty crusty attitude wise. Will try to find supporting material.

vCash
    This is a great move for the MN Vikings. Why, because finally someone in the Vikings organization will hold staff and players accountable for their roles. Zimmer will get in your face if you aren't doing your job and that is exactly what this team needs. He also has played young defensive players and has developed raw talent into pro-bowl skills.

I am most worried about who we hire as OC since I think Zimmer will stay have a bit of say on the defensive side.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast