Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Andrew Luck's world
    Posts
    74,047
    vCash
    1500

    Coordinator watch

    Colts OC Pep Hamilton is a candidate for the Vanderbilt HC job, according to multiple league sources.
    https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...92841134014465

    Here's the first report of Pep possibly leaving. Will be interesting.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

    <3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,686
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...92841134014465

    Here's the first report of Pep possibly leaving. Will be interesting.
    Have to fully admit that it wouldn't hurt my feelings. Though do think he came back decently in the last several games. Think they could really use an OC with more experience. Someone that could game plan much better than Pep did. Letting Pagano spend more time working with whatever DC is here next season.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Andrew Luck's world
    Posts
    74,047
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosiercubsfan View Post
    Have to fully admit that it wouldn't hurt my feelings. Though do think he came back decently in the last several games. Think they could really use an OC with more experience. Someone that could game plan much better than Pep did. Letting Pagano spend more time working with whatever DC is here next season.
    My only problem is Luck will have 3 OC's in 3 years. Big problem.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

    <3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,013
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    My only problem is Luck will have 3 OC's in 3 years. Big problem.
    Agreed, but the bigger problem is Hamilton staying. I think he's terrible, and I think he set Lucks progress back.

    The only reason the Colts offense changed towards the last few games Is because Hamilton was forced to change it, not because he wanted to. It's a big problem to me that he couldn't, on his own, see that his game plans didn't work.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    All Up In There!
    Posts
    3,886
    vCash
    1500
    It really is a conundrum! On one hand it is the easiest way to rid Indy of his lack of imagination but it would be the following players 3rd OC in their 3rd year in the league:

    Luck
    TY
    Allen
    Fleener
    Ballard
    Richardson

    All skill positions....

    Truly an interesting dilemma!
    If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,634
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    My only problem is Luck will have 3 OC's in 3 years. Big problem.
    I figured Pep was going to be a 1 (maybe 2) year and gone for a HC job in the NCAA or maybe NFL if we had a big year when he was originally signed anyway.

    I don't see this as that big of an issue for Luck for a couple reasons:

    1) this year actually wasn't a full new system for Luck....he ran a lot of what they were doing here at Stanford with Pep, so basically he had to learn BA's offense then go back to a lot of what he already knew. So really you have to look at it as this year he wasn't starting over, he was building on his offense in college after working on his vertical attacking for a year under BA.

    2) Luck isn't a fragile minded QB that will get overwhelmed by change. As long as some OC doesn't come in and try to change him, doesn't put him in a position to get hurt (like running an insane amount of zone read or wildcat) or put a lock down on his improvisation he will pick up an offense and be fine. Basically as long as an ego driven idiot isn't signed as our next OC (if Pep leaves) we are looking at a QB that is about as unbreakable and adaptable as a player as you can get.

    I just think we need to bring in a guy that every off season we aren't going to be wondering if he will be back, which would have been the case with Pep and honestly was at least to me day 1. I also think Pagano also needs a veteran coach with him to help him along as a coach and with game planning rather than an up and coming young name in coaching that is trying to build his resume to work his way up.

    Dream situation for me is Pep to get the job at Vandy and we wish him well...no hard feelings. Then we bring in Kubiak. I want Kubiak because of his history with guys who had a lot of the tools Luck does like Young and Elway, plus his HC experience, which I think he did a pretty good job, he needed to be fired but you can't blame your QB throwing pick 6s like they were going out of style on the coach, at some point it is just bad play...the fact that he had a very talented team in Houston and couldn't get over the hump IMO makes him more attractive to us because it will take a few years before teams forget about that and start looking at him in HC searches, giving us a worry free off season for a few years.

    I've said this all along, I like Pep's offense and his adjustments and think he is a good coach and may be a great one in time. Currently however, I don't like how he calls his offense and his predictability out of formations, his game planning style, how he utilizes certain players and refuses to use some (may not be his fault with things like Satele vs McGlynn and Da'Rick not suiting up, but you also have to think he wasn't trying to pull too hard for these moves either if it isn't), and what I take to be not knowing his team because he kept trying to do what we obviously weren't good at by pounding it up the middle. I just don't know if he is ready or understand the difference between NFL and NCAA yet and I don't want to suffer his growing pains only to be his stepping stone to bigger and better things.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Andrew Luck's world
    Posts
    74,047
    vCash
    1500
    I agree with Kubiak. I've said that if Pep had to go my top 2 OC targets would be Turner and Kubiak. Both can develop QBs, and both have HC experience so Pagano isn't outcoached every game, and I think both would jump at the opportunity to work with Luck.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

    <3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    23,927
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyld1 View Post
    It really is a conundrum! On one hand it is the easiest way to rid Indy of his lack of imagination but it would be the following players 3rd OC in their 3rd year in the league:

    Luck
    TY
    Allen
    Fleener
    Ballard
    Richardson

    All skill positions....

    Truly an interesting dilemma!
    Yes.

    And like the first comment, i wouldn't be upset if Hamilton left but we need to establish some form of continuity with this coaching staff and our future. We took a big step this year in decreasing drops from everyone (except DHB cause he is irrelevant) and reducing turnovers...credit to Pep for some of that. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to pursue Norv Turner so we can start seeing 30 TD seasons from Luck.

    #iubb

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    99
    vCash
    1500
    This would be the best thing to happen all offseason. I would love to see what Chud can do with Luck. I dont think T-Rich would be a good fit with Kubiaks zone blocking.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    303
    vCash
    1500
    I hope Pep takes that job and then we sign Kubiak. I also hope that we let Manusky go. I am not at all impressed with his defensive game plan.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,634
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Dayman26 View Post
    This would be the best thing to happen all offseason. I would love to see what Chud can do with Luck. I dont think T-Rich would be a good fit with Kubiaks zone blocking.
    How could TRich not be? As long as the real TRich shows up and not the guy we saw last year. He is a strong runner with some quickness and able to make cuts, he has good but not elite speed, before this season was known as a guy who didn't fumble, and he was known as such a hard worker in college the strength coach at Bama had to tone TRich's routine down.

    You give him the off season and camp to learn one cut and go and I think he will be the back we thought we had traded for and something similar to what we saw from Arian Foster in HOU under Kubiak.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    658
    vCash
    1500
    TRich wouldn't be effective in zone blocking because he doesn't see the cut he needs to make. Not to mention our line is terrible and the league has been shutting down zone run as of late. If you think TRich can make the cuts like Foster did you are wrong.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,634
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ponderingpluto View Post
    TRich wouldn't be effective in zone blocking because he doesn't see the cut he needs to make. Not to mention our line is terrible and the league has been shutting down zone run as of late. If you think TRich can make the cuts like Foster did you are wrong.
    He can make the cuts, and is physically capable of being much like Foster....whom people didn't think would be like Foster and why he went undrafted...well I guess health and work ethic questions took him from a 6-7th round pick to undrafted. T-Rich physically and work ethic wise while at Bama and during the draft was most often compared to AP.

    TRich just needs to know where to look for those holes and be able to see them when he does. I've said this about TRich since we traded for him....he was with a team that has made one total playoff appearance since returning to the league in 1999, they don't have a direction, they don't have a good locker room, they don't have vets to help players learn how to be a pro and the difference between the NCAA and the NFL. The guy was learning to be a pro from a broken franchise with little to no hope of the team going anywhere. The things like learning there are 2 yard holes, 4 yard holds, and 20 yard holes haven't been explained or shown to him...he knows what holes from 4 or 5 NFL lineman blocking against over matched teams looks like from his time at Bama...not what NFL holes he need to hit look like.

    So you are saying a zone blocking scheme wouldn't work here because we have a poor OL? That is what Zone blocking would help. We have good pass blocking Tackles, and with Thomas plus hopefully 2 FA in the middle we have upgrade scheme and positions.

    Since the NFL is shutting down zone blocking maybe you should call Denver, Philly (led league in yards and ypc), and Seattle to tell them to stop their zone blocking because it isn't working....even Wash was a top 5 rushing team (yes I realize partly due to RGIII) running a zone system. Green Bay has made it work with a QB with a similar style in Rogers (until his injury) to what Luck is, and a RB in Lacey who is what I see TRich should be. Of course you would be correct about teams like Pit, Ari, and Jacksonville who were shut down rushing this year, that was due to personnel and team and not their blocking scheme.
    Last edited by matthollabak; 01-16-2014 at 01:07 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,016
    vCash
    1500
    Is rob Ryan available?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    99
    vCash
    1500
    Well Pep turned down the job so he can continue riding the coat tails of Andrew Luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •