Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Conversion to 3-4 defense coming?

With Whiz now officially our coach it seems to simply be a matter of time before this switch is made. With that being said how do you feel about the switch and the current personel running it? Personally outside of Casey I can't see anyone in the front seven taking to this system quickly. Maybe Hill can play NT and Ayers can be unleashed as a pure rush backer? Your opinions welcome!

vCash
    Whiz ruled out a 3-4 2 gap defense in his press conference today. He did say however we will be a Hybrid defense. He wants both 4-3 and 3-4 looks depending on the situation. Sounds exactly like a Hybrid.

If he eventually transitions to a full 3-4, sounds like it could take 2 years.

vCash
    We will need 2 ILB's. I've entertained the idea of Brown inside cause I love him, but I just don't see it. Yes, Ayers would also fit quite well in my opinion.
    Chicago Cubs: #4 pick, Prospect Watching
    Tennessee Titans: 7-9, #11 Pick/Bring on the "Whis" Kid
    Utah Jazz: 12-26, We're getting dangerously close to being decent

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KnocOnYoBloc View Post
    Whiz ruled out a 3-4 2 gap defense in his press conference today. He did say however we will be a Hybrid defense. He wants both 4-3 and 3-4 looks depending on the situation. Sounds exactly like a Hybrid.

If he eventually transitions to a full 3-4, sounds like it could take 2 years.
    I think anyone trying to talk themselves into this conversion is doing just that, talking. Whiz has ran the 3-4 the majority of his coaching career and while I agree it won't just change today, it will within two seasons so why not draft a 3-4 player this season? Someone like Louis Nix, Mack, Ealy or even Jerrigan? Any of those players could not only make an easier transition but also still step into the 4-3 this season and help out. Imagine a three man front with Sammie lee hill (6'4" 328 lbs), Louis Nix ( 6'3" 340 lbs) and Jurrell Casey ( 6'1" 304 lbs). With the depth we would have on the defensive line, we could assure everyone stays fresh. Subbing Nix, Hill, Casey, Johnson, Martin, Klugg, Edwards and possibly even Morgan. We could instantly have the size and strength we needed in our front line and could potentially make things easier on whoever our linebackers are.
    Last edited by WVA_Titan; 01-15-2014 at 11:35 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by scarylarry23 View Post
    We will need 2 ILB's. I've entertained the idea of Brown inside cause I love him, but I just don't see it. Yes, Ayers would also fit quite well in my opinion.
    Just my personal opinion but I think brown would be best utilized as a "joker" type player, allowing him to split time inside and out. Brown has shown his ability to get to the quarterback so why not let him pin his ears back a little?

vCash
    I don't think it would be that hard to run a 3-4 or a hybrid considering Gray's defense. So much of the personnel he brought in is tailor made to play in a 3-4, including speedy linebackers in Ayers and Brown and bigger defensive ends like Derrick Morgan. I am curious how Casey would be used in a 3-4, but I could see him playing sort of an undersized NT or playing a 3-4 DE. The way the NFL has changed, there are hardly any prototypical 350-pound NT in the league anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    Lakers will make the playoffs this year and my bold prediction is they finish higher than the Rockets.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdymez View Post
    And Lebron puts up great numbers, your right. Debate over. You win. Lebron is the greatest

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I don't think it would be that hard to run a 3-4 or a hybrid considering Gray's defense. So much of the personnel he brought in is tailor made to play in a 3-4, including speedy linebackers in Ayers and Brown and bigger defensive ends like Derrick Morgan. I am curious how Casey would be used in a 3-4, but I could see him playing sort of an undersized NT or playing a 3-4 DE. The way the NFL has changed, there are hardly any prototypical 350-pound NT in the league anymore.
    I think if the season were to start today we would see Casey, Hill and Morgan on the front line with Brown/McCarthy inside backers and Wimbley/Ayers as rush backers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WVA_Titan View Post
    I think if the season were to start today we would see Casey, Hill and Morgan on the front line with Brown/McCarthy inside backers and Wimbley/Ayers as rush backers.
    I'd buy that. I could see Hill as a 3-4 NT with Casey on the outside. I think Brown and Ayers are also so versatile that they could play inside or outside in a 3-4. Wimbley is an ideal fit as a 3-4 OLB.

Lakers will make the playoffs this year and my bold prediction is they finish higher than the Rockets.
    And Lebron puts up great numbers, your right. Debate over. You win. Lebron is the greatest

vCash
    Wimbley probably won't be around and Lee Hill scares me as a NT because he's terrible vs the run. I don't think Brown is physical enough to play ILB. Fokou might do ok as ILB in a 3-4 though. Casey would probably make a fine DE in a 3-4.

Klug and Martin would be fine DE's too.

Ayers benefits most from 3-4.

Still, I'm afraid we lack most personnel necessary for a 3-4 right now.

vCash
    Wimbley probably won't be around and Lee Hill scares me as a NT because he's terrible vs the run. I don't think Brown is physical enough to play ILB. Fokou might do ok as ILB in a 3-4 though. Casey would probably make a fine DE in a 3-4.

I actually think we have a solid core for a 3-4. I consider Hill to be a serviceable NT but could also slide outside on certain snaps. Our front four is already up to snuff with what a 3-4 would require. The only area of weakness for me would be inside linebackers but I think fokuo and McCarthy could be serviceable for the first year as long as we continue to rotate brown at inside and out.

vCash

I think they would need one more legitimate pass rusher as a 3-4 OLB, but they need another pass rusher in a 4-3 defense anyway. Could they use a better NT? Sure, but again I think that's a hole they have right now on their defense already. So, really, their two biggest holes in a 3-4 are their two biggest holes in a 4-3.

vCash

As soon as I heard any 3-4 talk, these are the exact thoughts that popped in my head. Didn't Ayers play in a 3-4 at UCLA? Or am I mistaken?

vCash
    As I've stated before, I think we have the personal to make a hybrid defense work this season and we are not in a position to force draft picks simply to fit a 3-4 scheme or to force a position we believe we need an immediate starter at. If we take the best players available early in the draft, I think all of our needs will be addressed. According to reports, Ray Horton is the "lead dog" in the DC search so regardless the pick your giving either Whiz or Horton just another weapon to use on their side of the football.

vCash
    Casey would likely play outside in that 3-4. Again, I think Lee Hill would really struggle as a NT.

Good point they have weaknesses in both 3-4 and 4-3. I'm open to drafting a 3-4 guy like Barr or Mack.

vCash
    Casey would likely play outside in that 3-4. Again, I think Lee Hill would really struggle as a NT.

Good point they have weaknesses in both 3-4 and 4-3. I'm open to drafting a 3-4 guy like Barr or Mack.
    Barr probably wont make it that far

Philadelphia 76ers 2000-2001 Sim League Champion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast