Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

David Diehl expected to announce his retirement (1/24 - It's Official)

Ian Taubin (@InReeseWeTrust) tweeted at 6:17 PM on Tue, Jan 14, 2014:

The Newark Star-Ledger expects Giants G/T David Diehl to announce his retirement "in the coming weeks." #nyg #giants
    I know of many people who will be happy to hear this.

vCash

David Diehl expected to announce his retirement

Good for him. He gets a lot of shot for hanging around too long but can't deny his greatness back in his prime. Or playing through the 2011 SB season with a broken hand. Dude has a lot of heart.

He's great on Sirius NFL too. Could be a good broadcast guy.

vCash

THANK YOU FOR ALL THESE YEARS OF SWEAT, BLOOD AND TEARS YOU'VE SPENT WITH BIG BLUE!!!!

When he's ready, I think this guy would make one hell of an offensive-line coach for the Giants.
    BORN AND RAISED TO KILL COWBOYS
    13-9 Record & Super Bowl 46 Champs: You made it true Big Blue!!!!(Now Aim High For #5!!!!! )

Gimme MORE of that BAZE D'andummy!

NY Giants Fan, LA Lakers Fan, LA Dodgers Fan

vCash
    Well I won't miss him as a player in these past few years, but I'll certainly miss the passion and leadership he brought to the team, need more guys like that. Thanks for everything, we had a good run
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

vCash
    Solid career. Stud in his prime but has been declining. Hope he coaches the online in a few years

#TapeTwoOne....Oh Gawd

vCash
    I wish Dielh the best!

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownBears22 View Post
    Kawhi is going to get murdered by Lebron. He is going to make a name for himself, as the guy who cost the Spurs a championship. Guy is garbage on defense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Giants #1 Fan View Post
    I wish Dielh the best!
    I don't think I've ever seen you spell his name right. Lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen you spell his name right. Lol.
    Lol it's my phone it spell checks it like that

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownBears22 View Post
    Kawhi is going to get murdered by Lebron. He is going to make a name for himself, as the guy who cost the Spurs a championship. Guy is garbage on defense.

vCash
    Diehl was a big part of the success of the oline during its heyday. Enjoy your retirement, big fella. You earned those two Super Bowl rings.

I miss our dominating D.

vCash
    Could Snee be next?
    http://newyorkknicksmemesdotcom.file...73bd8ccc5d.gif
    Amare!!!!

SIM LEAGUE SUNS
    Jason Kidd and Chris webber
    2000-2001 48-34 first round KO
    2001-2002 64-18 first round KO
    2002-2003 55-27. Second round KO
    2003-2004 46-36 second round KO game 7 loss
    2004-2005 42-40
    2005-2006 welcome Glenn big dog

Sig bet with Mr. baller on Yankees making the playoffs loser has to hold
    SIG of the winners choice for entire playoffs

vCash
    Doubt it. Snee is planning on coming back I think. Or at least trying to and see what his body says. Quite frankly, I think he can still be a good player. He was playing THROUGH injuries that kept adding up. With surgery and serious rehab, wouldn't be surprised if he was cut and brought back much cheaper or something along the lines (no way Giants keep him on his current contract).

But I don't think he's retiring unless the Giants say they don't want him at any price (in which case I don't think he'd try to play elsewhere) or he does get back on the field and realizes his body still wants no parts. Rumor is his rehab is going well. It really could be a promising surprise if he could get back close to old form on a cheaper contract. Best lineman the Giants have ever had IMO.

It's gonna be something to keep on eye on for sure though.
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Doubt it. Snee is planning on coming back I think. Or at least trying to and see what his body says. Quite frankly, I think he can still be a good player. He was playing THROUGH injuries that kept adding up. With surgery and serious rehab, wouldn't be surprised if he was cut and brought back much cheaper or something along the lines (no way Giants keep him on his current contract).

But I don't think he's retiring unless the Giants say they don't want him at any price (in which case I don't think he'd try to play elsewhere) or he does get back on the field and realizes his body still wants no parts. Rumor is his rehab is going well. It really could be a promising surprise if he could get back close to old form on a cheaper contract. Best lineman the Giants have ever had IMO.

It's gonna be something to keep on eye on for sure though.
    Speaking of "who you know" I think the Snee-Coughlin connection will keep him on the team until he's ready to retire.

Sounded like retirement was on the table 2 season ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if he does it now.

Haven't heard anything about him though. Would be cool if he could comeback on a cheaper deal, whether its to start or back-up. I don't know that I've seen a better offensive lineman on the Giants in my lifetime. Maybe Oates, but didn't appreciate it until later on.

vCash
    JANUARY 24, 2014 6:02 PM

David Diehl retires

BY EBENEZER SAMUEL

A part of David Diehl knew all along.

When the 2013 season began, the Giants' veteran offensive lineman had a feeling it would be the end. His 2012 season had been wrecked by a knee injury, but he'd battled back, arriving in camp in top shape. And all he wanted was one more year.

“I kind of had the feeling that this would probably be the last one going into this season,” Diehl said. “I wanted to rehab, I wanted to come back strong and I wanted to contribute to this football team.”

Diehl battled to leave that perfect, lasting impression on the Giants, and now, he's ready to ride off into the sunset. On Friday, after 11 seasons with the Giants, Diehl, 33, announced his retirement, ending an improbable career that saw him vault from unheralded fifth-round pick in 2003 to linchpin on the offensive line.

Versatility and durability were Diehl's career calling cards. He played the first 120 regular-season games and seven postseason games of his career, the longest streak by a Giant since the 16-game schedule arrived in 1978, a streak that didn't end until Nov. 14, 2010, when he sat out against Dallas with hip and hamstring issues. He's played 164 regular-season games total, tying Phil Simms for 12th all-time in franchise history.

He also played every position except center for the Giants.

"When I think of David Diehl what comes to mind is his indomitable spirit,” coach Tom Coughlin said. “He got the most out of his God-given ability and that’s the best way that you can judge any individual. He took the talent that he had and he used it to the extreme, to the utmost of his ability. What more can you ask of the guy?”

"I love football," Diehl added. "I love being in the game, I love watching film, I love doing all of that and I'm going to miss that aspect of it. But I know I'm ready to start the new and next chapter of my life."

For Diehl, that will mean spending more time with his daughter Addison, 7, who he says played a key role in getting him to return in 2013. He briefly pondered retirement before this season, he said, but Addison "wants me to play forever." He said he could "physically play another year," although he would need to have thumb urgery again. But he stressed that he's ready to start "the new and next chapter of my life."

It likely means a new chapter for the Giants offensive line as well. Diehl is one of three banged-up veteran linemen who could retire this offseason; there's speculation that guard Chris Snee and center David Baas, both of whom ended the 2013 season on injured reserve, could also call a quits.

Baas, 32, played just three games last season and has battled injuries the last two years. Snee, meanwhile, is still recovering from early-season hip surgery, and a source said no decision has been made on his future yet.

Diehl, however, who anchored the offensive lines of two Super Bowl champs (in 2007 and 2011), was ready to be done.

“I’ve accomplished everything I could possibly dream of as a football player," he said. "I have a lot to be proud of."
    http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/gia...-diehl-retires

vCash

Enjoy retirement David. You were a great giant

Va...heart between Giants Stadium and MSG
    vCash
    I always appreciated DD...but it was obvious that father time had caught up with him the last few years. He was a dedicated Giant.

Agreed with the broadcasting career...he is pretty good.

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 18-1 Signature of a Champion!
    ELI MANNING.... 2X SB MVP....2X SB CHAMPION!