Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

How concerning is Julius Randle's lack of wingspan?

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/1/2...-prospect-2013

Randle is built like a Tyrannosaurus Rex: all torso and no arms. He has a 6'11 wingspan, per Draft Express, which is enormous in most contexts, but not the super-sized world of the NBA paint. When matched up against the best power forwards in the world, he's going to have a significant length disadvantage, a problem that could impact his game on both sides of the ball.

--------------------------------------------

It's hard to build around a player with Randle's skill-set. He is a post-scoring big man who can't protect the rim. If you play him with a big man who can't stretch the floor, there won't be much room in the paint for him to operate. If you play him with another big man who can't protect the rim, your defense will be limited. There aren't many NBA centers who can shoot, block shots and play hi-low to preserve proper spacing. Randolph didn't find much team success until he started playing with Marc Gasol, one of those rare birds. The same dynamic has blunted the impact Al Jefferson and DeMarcus Cousins make on their teams despite gaudy offensive numbers.

------------------------------------------------------

In the right situation, playing next to one of those rare floor-spacing and rim-protecting big man like Serge Ibaka or Anthony Davis, Randle could be a really good player on a championship-caliber team. In the wrong one, though, drafting Randle could end up setting a team back significantly. In the NBA, the shorter your arms, the harder it is to reach your ceiling.

Read the article, post your thoughts on whether you think your team could build around or with this prospect.

vCash
    i don't know what the **** this guy is talking about. he's 6' 9" and has a 6' 11" wingspan therefore is built like a T-Rex? I've heard the same comparison used for Blake Griffin and it hasn't really slowed him down. these writers just recycle ******** they've heard. is it an elite wingspan? no, and he definitely would be a better player with a 7' + length but the guy is still a freak matchup. his athleticism is through the roof, his handle looks like it can become elite and his scoring and rebounding instincts make him guaranteed to go top 6. people need to get over what an inch of height means, what a slight lack of vertical leap means, what being too slow, or not having the ideal body type for your position means. these guys are basketball players, dirk can't jump, wade can barely shoot except from a few chosen spots, in the end, if he is dominating CBB like this at 18, and has all the other traits in the world, he's gonna be a stud in the nba.

vCash
    If you can help turn Randle into a stretch 4, he could be good at shooting and then also pound it inside with bigs. Rim protecting is more of the 5's role or a Bosh role in Miami. A few years in college can change Randle from a rawer prospect into something efficient. Will he stay? Doubt it. Lexington is college town around the campus. Not a huge location to enjoy in the offseason.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JEDean89 View Post
    i don't know what the **** this guy is talking about. he's 6' 9" and has a 6' 11" wingspan therefore is built like a T-Rex? I've heard the same comparison used for Blake Griffin and it hasn't really slowed him down. these writers just recycle ******** they've heard. is it an elite wingspan? no, and he definitely would be a better player with a 7' + length but the guy is still a freak matchup. his athleticism is through the roof, his handle looks like it can become elite and his scoring and rebounding instincts make him guaranteed to go top 6. people need to get over what an inch of height means, what a slight lack of vertical leap means, what being too slow, or not having the ideal body type for your position means. these guys are basketball players, dirk can't jump, wade can barely shoot except from a few chosen spots, in the end, if he is dominating CBB like this at 18, and has all the other traits in the world, he's gonna be a stud in the nba.
    True, however Blake Griffin couldn't block a shot if his life depended on it. However, he makes up for his deficiencies in other ways. I agree with you mostly.

Randle might not have a great wingspan, but he'll be a good player. Every NBA player has SOME deficiencies. I agree the particular article is nitpicking and regurgitating information that has already been said.

vCash
    I read this a few days ago. We briefly talked about it in the Magic forum.

I personally want nothing to do with him, regardless of how well he looks right now. But that's always been my stance. A lot of it has to do with fit. Even before his length concerns I was terrified of his defense...and pairing him up with Vucci would create a complete sieve. If we're taking a big man he has to play defense, particularly at the rim, much better than Randle can or ever will.

He's also not terribly athletic, so using him as a means to defend Randle might be a little iffy. And Blake has deficiencies, and many of those do probably come from his size

So yeah, I think he's someone that you have to take fit into concern. Philly has Noel who figures to be a solid defender for a long time; I think he'd pair well with Randle.

To the more direct point: length and size does matter. To the guy saying "get over what an inch means", well, we're not talking about in inch here. We're talking a lot of inches. And that length means a lot defensively. SJust check the wingspans on the league's best big man defenders: Gasol, Ibaka, Noah, Sanders, Duncan, Ribbert, and so on.
    [IMG]hi[/IMG]

vCash
    Is randle anywhere close to blake athletically? If not, I dont see the point in the comparison, blake also has great vision

vCash
    Reminds me of a bit more athletic z bo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Is randle anywhere close to blake athletically? If not, I dont see the point in the comparison, blake also has great vision
    There are vids of him throwing down insane dunks. Behind the back, between the legs, etc. With ease too. Not saying he's Blake, but he's insanely athletic for someone his size.

He's averaging like 17 and 11 as a freshman. Again... not saying he's Blake but even Blake didn't put up those numbers in his first year at OU

Wiggins-Mobile

vCash
    This is a terrible article and a 6'9" power forward prospect with a 6'11" wingspan who is only 19 years old, and could still grow is not a t-rex frame.

I think Kevin Love does pretty well with a 6'11" wingspan.

Like I said, terrible article, Julius Randle is a tremendous basketball player, and could very well end up being the best player in this stacked draft class.

vCash
    Terrible article, any team would love to have him.

Wrestling & Bobcats Mod

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post

I personally want nothing to do with him, regardless of how well he looks right now. But that's always been my stance. A lot of it has to do with fit. Even before his length concerns I was terrified of his defense...and pairing him up with Vucci would create a complete sieve. If we're taking a big man he has to play defense, particularly at the rim, much better than Randle can or ever will.

He's also not terribly athletic, so using him as a means to defend Randle might be a little iffy. And Blake has deficiencies, and many of those do probably come from his size

So yeah, I think he's someone that you have to take fit into concern. Philly has Noel who figures to be a solid defender for a long time; I think he'd pair well with Randle.

To the more direct point: length and size does matter. To the guy saying "get over what an inch means", well, we're not talking about in inch here. We're talking a lot of inches. And that length means a lot defensively. SJust check the wingspans on the league's best big man defenders: Gasol, Ibaka, Noah, Sanders, Duncan, Ribbert, and so on.
    I agree, I just want to pair Vuc up with a shot-blocker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post

Three things:

1. Joakim Noah is in the 20th percentile for wingspan dif%, he's 7'0" with a 7'1" wingspan. He also plays a different, traditionally bigger position.

2. Everything on tape shows Julius Randle as an exceptional athlete. DraftExpress - "absolutely lethal in transition" and "outstanding athlete". espninsider- "super athletic power forward"

3. I can't fathom a "want absolutely nothing to do with him" stance. To each their own I suppose, but it really seems unwarranted for a player of Randle's caliber.

vCash
    I love Randle for most situations. Ideally I'd like to see the 76ers trade for Monroe, and then draft Randle. MCW, Randle, and Monroe would be enough to make Phily worth watching again.

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt8pMZ7Gg-M

For people questioning his athleticism

Wiggins-Mobile

vCash
    Less concerning than Andrew Wiggins lack of game. Talk about over hyped.

He's like a less motivated Paul George.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast