Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Shea Weber.... and that gigantic contract

I haven't heard any huge rumors or anything of that sort. I was just thinking about possible big trades or big name players that could be moved and Weber came to mind.

Often thought of as one of the best Defenseman in the world any team would lvoe to have him. I'm pretty sure Nashville isn't gonig to spend to the cap limit every year unless something changes (correct me if Im wrong). Do you guys think Weber could be (or will be) dealt any time soon?

Do you think Winnipeg takes a run at Weber to try to build around him for the future? I know Winnipeg isn't the most desirable place to play with the weather and all, but Weber is under contract for a long time and I'm sure any FA goalie looking for a place to sign would love to have a guy like him in front of them for the forseeable future.

Could something like Byfuglien, one of Ladd/Wheeler/Kane and a pick(s)??? for Weber be a deal for both franchises?

Is Winnipeg overpaying? or are they underpaying? or is it pretty even?

I am not a fan of either team (i dislike Winnipeg and am impartial to nashville). I am curious what other hockey minds think about this??

vCash
    you have to look at it for around even value, weber is at worst a top 5 defenceman in the league. At the same time the predators matched an offersheet that would have gotten them 4 first round picks. Also nashville has payed a significant amount of webers contract allready due to his signing bonus and yearly bonuses.

i would say to get weber out of nashville will only happen if weber demands a trade or to the value equivalent of 5 first round picks. so from winnipeg i would say bogosian+kane+wheeler/trouba. thats an overpayment by winnipeg but imo thats what it would take for the jets to get weber

vCash
    David Poille has said 9857209572057067 times he isn't trading Weber. He's retooling his team around Weber, Jones and Rinne. I suppose anything could happen but I seriously doubt it. They got a commitment from their ownership group before they matched the Flyers idiotic offer sheet that the contract wouldn't be a problem for a player like him.

vCash
    Contract certainly won't be an issue heading forward. Salary cap is about to start going up at an absurd amount. We are talking 10mil+ annually for contracts. It is going to be really hard to see it, but every team that has been able to lock up their main players for long term are going to look real smart and lucky. At the time, I thought Getzlaf and Perry's deals were ridiculous...but they are going to look like decent value in just 2 years time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom! View Post
    Contract certainly won't be an issue heading forward. Salary cap is about to start going up at an absurd amount. We are talking 10mil+ annually for contracts. It is going to be really hard to see it, but every team that has been able to lock up their main players for long term are going to look real smart and lucky. At the time, I thought Getzlaf and Perry's deals were ridiculous...but they are going to look like decent value in just 2 years time.
    Absolutely. I keep hearing guys like Dreger and others on talk radio saying that the cap is headed to a place it's never been before in the NHL in the future starting with the raise next season. That's why a guy like PK Subban would be smart to take a shorter term deal with the Canadians this time around in order to cash in BIG time on the next contract. It's a bit of risk on the players part to go that way but I wonder if agents will begin to advise their younger players to take that approach in the next few years.

vCash
    I'd love to see te cap stay at a steady number throughout a sustained about of time. Maybe keep it for 3 years and after every 3, adjust it for inflation and whatever else you have to account for. I hate how the cap sinks and rises on a yearly basis, it makes the contract signed at the time a completely different contract 3 years down the road

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingerSox View Post
    Absolutely. I keep hearing guys like Dreger and others on talk radio saying that the cap is headed to a place it's never been before in the NHL in the future starting with the raise next season. That's why a guy like PK Subban would be smart to take a shorter term deal with the Canadians this time around in order to cash in BIG time on the next contract. It's a bit of risk on the players part to go that way but I wonder if agents will begin to advise their younger players to take that approach in the next few years.
    Yea, Kane and Toews contracts are up after next year. Needless to say...I'm pretty scared. Thank god for deals like Keith's and Hossa's that circumvented the cap and have a ridiculously low cap hit compared to what is going to happen in the future.

I think McKenzie even said that he expects Kane/Toews to be around $12mil...crazy to think.

These "big" contracts from a team like Nashville is fine for them. They need to get to the cap floor in the future, the contract really isn't that big compared to where the cap is going, and if they need to get out from it they can always retain cap hit if needed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seguin View Post
    I'd love to see te cap stay at a steady number throughout a sustained about of time. Maybe keep it for 3 years and after every 3, adjust it for inflation and whatever else you have to account for. I hate how the cap sinks and rises on a yearly basis, it makes the contract signed at the time a completely different contract 3 years down the road
    I believe the cap hit is going up by $7mil after this year. Then expected to go up atleast another $7mil the year after when the big Canada TV contract kicks in.

In the NHL you can only negotiate in the year that the contract runs out...so it makes it really hard and almost comes down to complete dumb luck on what happens when. Makes it pretty hard to "grade" certain contracts. I was amazed at how much guys like Getz, Perry, Lundqvist, etc got this year...well, looks like they will be just fine now.

vCash
    thanks for the input guys

vCash
    I'd like to see a restructure type of deal adde into the CBA but it also opens the door for potential hold outs for guys who are underpaid. You'd have to imagine adding something like that would cut down greatly on dead cap space with buyouts

vCash
    I imagine there would be several inquiries but mostly below value due to the contract. Players are going to be asking for bigger and bigger contracts as the cap continues to go up. A guy like Callahan is going to fetch something in the 5.5 range this coming off-season and unfortunately I believe the Rangers are going to pay him that. Stone age Ryan Clowe is going to be paid 4.85 per year for the next 4 years is just absurd to think.

I could see Philly making a major push for him if he became available, especially considering their plethora of Top 9 forwards. I could see them offering something like Schenn brothers + Read + 1st.
    Last edited by Rangers&MetsFTW; 01-14-2014 at 08:52 PM.
    There are no men like me, only me.

vCash
    Schenn's plus Read plus the 1st which would be 15th or worse doesn't cut it. Not even close. One of the Schenn's can't even skate.

vCash
    As a Leafs fan, this is what I would offer and this is what I would think it'd take considering they turned down 4 1sts..

Morgan Rielly, Nazem Kadri, Jake Gardiner, 2014 1st rounder, 2016 1st rounder, 2015 2nd rounder and a 4th liner or something.

vCash
    They turned down 4 1st because they're in win now mode... Well, supposedly.

A deal with ANYONE is probably starting with a high end, young offensive player. Think Phil Kessel from Toronto. You don't trade arguably the best dman in the game locked up forever for a couple "what ifs". Not to say the value of whatever prospects teams can come up with come be right in value, I just doubt that's what Nashville is looking for.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingerSox View Post
    Schenn's plus Read plus the 1st which would be 15th or worse doesn't cut it. Not even close. One of the Schenn's can't even skate.
    The hypothetical was that he was being shopped, not that a team was calling and trying to pry him away.

I just kinda figured Philly would be a suitor on the forefront.
    There are no men like me, only me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast