Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: What If?

vCash

What If?

What if Nonis made a trade for Cory Schneider and Bernier was in NJ instead? Would Schneider's #s be around the same with the lack of D we have? (This is a hypothetical of course.) I think the D is a big issue and Phaneuf's new contract is a problem, but I can see why Nonis wanted to lock him up.

vCash
    No way of knowing that really... But what is obvious is that LA makes it really easy for any goaltender to play. Jones, Scrivens, Bernier, and Quick all had / have fantastic numbers with that team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysLeafs98 View Post
    No way of knowing that really... But what is obvious is that LA makes it really easy for any goaltender to play. Jones, Scrivens, Bernier, and Quick all had / have fantastic numbers with that team.
    They don't have like a Top 5 D, but they have consistently good D regardless. What good is Phaneuf when you have Gunnerson at the first line? Reily and Gardiner need to reach their potential asap.

vCash
    I would say their team Defense is one of the best in the game, but Gunnerson and Dion are fine, but the Leafs desperately need a second pairing that can play.

vCash
    Ideally I'd like to bring in somebody to play with Phaneuf and knock Gunnar down to the 2nd pairing where he could help out Franson, Reilly or Gardiner. Gunnar gets less minutes which helps him and the team. No knock on him. And Phaneuf gets somebody that can help him out more than Gunnar can. Again no knock. You'd have the option to pair Phaneuf with the new guy, which would be an upgrade over anybody else except for Phaneuf most likely, against a team that has limited scoring threats. Games against teams with multiple threats you could pair Phaneuf back with Gunnar and play the new guy with another D man to give sort of two shutdown options.

vCash
    I did like Gunner with Franson while Phaneuf was suspended. We just need right handed D badly...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysLeafs98 View Post
    I would say their team Defense is one of the best in the game, but Gunnerson and Dion are fine, but the Leafs desperately need a second pairing that can play.
    I meant individual D.

vCash
    Doughty is probably in my top 5 in terms of all-round players. He'd probably be even better if he didn't drink like a trucker in the summers..

vCash
    Njd defense is probably a good amount worse than Torontos.

vCash
    Would you guys have been mad if it was Gauthier/1st rounder and maybe a low level prospect for Schneider at the time though?

vCash
    Yes, if i knew at the same time we could get Bernier for Scrivens, Frattin, picks, and salary retention. AKA no 1st round picks and no top specs

vCash
    I'm pretty happy with Bernier.