Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 66 1231151 ... LastLast
    vCash

Saints Official Offseason general discussion

OFFICIAL OFFSEASON GENERAL THREAD

It was a great season boys! WHO DAT!!!

vCash
    Safety FA options are

Jairus Byrd (unrealistic, unless Magic Mickey can do his work)
    TJ Ward (kind of the same as Byrd)
    Donte Whitner (Might be a viable option)
    James Ihedigbo (this is our guy IMO)

LB Options

Brian Orakpo (Say something weird happens with graham, I'd throw this guy money)
    Shaun Phillips (older Vet that might be viable)
    Jo-Lonn Dunbar (blew up in STL, I hope we can get him back)

LT...as down as I was on Terron he looks like our future...but if that's not the case we could use a suitable guy that can fill in. I wont even pretend to know about lineplay but I'd stand pat with Terron for a while

I personally feel we need to get another Corner..Haven't really hit on many in the draft so

Aqib Talib (big physical Corner that Rob would like and took Jimmy our the game...I'd love him)
    Walter Thurmond III (I cant see him commanding much money, could be something)
    Vontae Davis (probably Colts 2nd best defensive player)

WR....we don't seem to have much luck hear I'd rather FA here

Hakeem Nicks (injury Prone yes, could get in at a good price)
    Golden Tate (I think he's a D-bag, but let him be our D-bag)

clearly we aren't getting all these guys or even 1 lol a lot depends on Jimmy and who we cut...but WR and Corner especially I feel we need to go at in FA as they typically take a while to develop. we need that guy now.

vCash
    Needs:
    Another big CB across from Lewis
    Speed at WR (Stills will improve and Morgan will be back, but more help would be nice)
    A tough WR to go across the middle and take hard hits late in the game (Colston is the ballsiest WR the Saints have, but he's slowing down. Graham isn't going to do that)
    OT (Armstead has potential, but I'm not a huge fan of Strief starting
    Depth at safety

The 2014 Saints have committed to $135,446,190, which is $9,146,190 over the projected cap. The base salaries I could see going are:
    Smith - $10,400,000
    Bunkley - $4,400,000 ($2,700,000 counts against cap)
    Harper - $2,350,000 ($3,690,000 against cap. I could see him staying or leaving, but it would cost more to let him go)
    Greer - $4,000,000 (if he can't bounce back from that nasty injury. $2,650,000 would count against the cap)
    Sproles - $3,400,000 ($750,000 against cap. I don't see him going, but I listed regardless)
    PT - $2,500,000 (last year of the contract for PT and Sproles. Smooth move by Loomis)

If all went aside from Harper, that would save the Saints $20.95M. What I think happens is that Smith, PT, Bunkley and Greer are gone, which saves the Saints $15.95M. Now that I think about, I could see Moore going, which would save the Saints $1.9M. Brees didn't look his way often.

vCash
    I think (I also hope) that Will Smith, Roman Harper, Jonathan Vilma are gone. Bunkley might go too if he doesn't want to restructure his contract. I hate to say it, but Greer might be gone too, coming off that ankle/knee injury. Great guys, and their contribution have been truly appreciated but it is time to move on. We've got a good thing going here on D, young guys on rookie contracts. I hope we don't lose Malcolm, he was starting to look really good and was having a good year. I love Rafael Bush, I think Bush/Jenkins/Vaccaro is perfect, no need for more safety signings in free agency.

One guy I wouldn't be surprised if we signed him would be Jason Hatcher. Rob Ryan is obviously familiar with him, would make lots of sense. Same goes for Anthony Spencer. Saints were ready to throw a lot of money at Paul Kruger, wouldn't be surprised to see them throw some money at Spencer.

Draft: I like to see them go corner or OLB/DE. Depending on how our free agency goes, I'd like to see a CB drafted to play across from Keenan. I know BB loves Corey White but for the love of God, this guy cannot be starting at CB. Maybe in the slot but my God he was horrible 1-on-1. Got burnt a few times on 3rd down vs Seattle and a few times vs Philly. Can't have that. We got unlucky with injuries this season but these guys were still able to grind out an 11-5 season, that speaks volume about our drafting and coaching.

Another position I'd like to look at is WR in the draft. We don't have that Julio/Alshon Jeffrey type (other than Jimmy) who can make a difference on offense. Colston isn't that guy anymore. Stills will take over Lance Moore's role and I expect Joe Morgan to be our deep ball guy. Nick Toon should be developing but I really hope we go WR in the 2nd round, at least. Strief actually had a good year, he was rated highly on PFF, almost made their Pro-Bowl roster. If he doesn't cost too much, I'd like to see us bring him back. If not, it'll probably be another draft pick spent on an OT or trying Charles Brown at RT.
    New Orleans Saints
    LA Kings
    Cleveland Cavs
    NY Mets
    Duke Blue Devils

THE WORLD IS YOURS CHICO! KENNY VACCARO BABY!

vCash
    PS, we're not getting Orakpo or Shaun Phillips. We don't have that kind of money. But if we do somehow swing a deal for a OLB/DE, look for Anthony Spencer. Like I said earlier, he's familiar with Rob Ryan and would probably take a discount to sign in New Orleans.
    New Orleans Saints
    LA Kings
    Cleveland Cavs
    NY Mets
    Duke Blue Devils

vCash
    Here's a breakdown of some of the key decisions looming this offseason:

FREE AGENTS:

Unrestricted free-agent starters:

TE Jimmy Graham
    RT Zach Strief
    C Brian de la Puente
    S Malcolm Jenkins
    OLB Parys Haralson
    K Shayne Graham.

Unrestricted free-agent reserves:

WR Robert Meachem
    OT Charles Brown
    QB Luke McCown
    LB Jonathan Vilma
    LB Will Herring
    LB Ramon Humber
    LB Keyunta Dawson
    DE Kenyon Coleman
    S Jordan Pugh

Restricted free agents:

FB Jed Collins
    WR Joe Morgan
    S Rafael Bush
    DE Tom Johnson

POSSIBILITIES FOR RELEASE OR PAY CUTS:

DE/LB Will Smith (due $11.55 million in salary and bonuses; cap cost of $13.9 million)
    S Roman Harper (due $3.15 million in salary and bonuses; cap cost of $5.87 million)
    CB Jabari Greer (due $4.5 million in salary and bonuses; cap cost of $6.8 million)
    DT Brodrick Bunkley (due $4.5 million in salary and bonuses; cap cost of $6.1 million)
    WR Lance Moore (due $3.8 million in salary and bonuses; cap cost of $5.1 million)
    RB Pierre Thomas (due $2.9 million in salary and bonuses; cap cost of $2.9 million)

OTHER NOTABLE SALARIES (Just for the sake of comparison):

G Jahri Evans (due $7.5 million in salary and bonuses; cap cost of $11 million)
    G Ben Grubbs (due $6.1 million in salary and bonuses; cap cost of $9.1 million)
    WR Marques Colston (due $5.6 million in salary and bonuses; cap cost of $8.3 million)
    LB David Hawthorne (due $2 million in salary and bonuses; cap cost of $3.5 million)
    CB Patrick Robinson (due $950,000 in salary and bonuses; cap cost of $2.4 million)

Cameron Jordan is awesome

12.5 sacks and this http://instagram.com/p/jfs5DemKo3/

vCash
    The most I'd want Loomis to give Graham is 7 years and $50M. Something like (cap hit wise): $2M, $3M, $5M, $6M, $8M, $11M, $15M. If Jimmy toughens up, he'll earn that money late in the contact. If not, restructure or cut. He's already 27. Gronkowski signed his deal when he was 22 (8 years and $55.23M).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by akay47:27792427
    PS, we're not getting Orakpo or Shaun Phillips. We don't have that kind of money. But if we do somehow swing a deal for a OLB/DE, look for Anthony Spencer. Like I said earlier, he's familiar with Rob Ryan and would probably take a discount to sign in New Orleans.
    I 100% agree on Orakpo, was just saying if Jimmy and NO cant work out. Phillips has got to be old as hell lol. I think hr can be had at a decent price.

vCash
    Jeremy Hill (6' 2" 236) has declared for the NFL Draft!

Rumor has it that Payton is talking about drafting a big back.

How about Jeremy Hill in the 2nd / 3rd round.

Is it really going to happen? Is Payton going to lean on a power running game?? I sure hope so.

vCash
    No need to take a RB that high. PT, Joique Bell, Ivory and Robinson were all undrafted.

vCash
    I feel like we can get better in alot of places, but CB and WR are two big ones. I think Corey White has all the tools, but I got so tired of seeing him not being able to locate the ball. He would always be in decent position to make a play, but he wouldn't locate the ball to make a play. At WR, we aren't getting any younger. Stills and Morgan will burn the defense, but we need that star playmaking WR for Drew to get the ball to. It'll be an interesting offseason with free agency, the draft, and seeing who gets cut/restructured.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SAINTFOR35 View Post
    Jeremy Hill (6' 2" 236) has declared for the NFL Draft!

Rumor has it that Payton is talking about drafting a big back.

How about Jeremy Hill in the 2nd / 3rd round.

Is it really going to happen? Is Payton going to lean on a power running game?? I sure hope so.
    No. No. Please no. We have K Rob, Ingram, Thomas, and SProles already on the roster. I think Cadet gets cut. We can lean on Robinson Ingram and Thomas to run the ball, they've all shown they can do it.
    "I am and always will be- The Optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes. The dreamer of improbable dreams."

vCash
    No RBs. I actually wouldn't mind if we went WR in the first round. Some of you here (Neo, BB, MT, among others) follow college football closely. Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard this year is a deep WR class. I wouldn't mind if we somehow traded up into the top 10 and traded for Mike Evans, for example. I know that the last time we took a WR in the first round (Robert Meachem) it failed miserably. But then again, how many 1st round picks in the Payton/Loomis era turned out well? Jordan, Jenkins and Vaccaro? 06 Bush, 07 Meachem, 08 Ellis, 09 Jenkins, 10 Robinson, 11 Ingram/Jordan, 12 no pick, 13 Vaccaro.

What do you guys think of Kelvin Benjamin? The WR from FSU? Will he be there at 27? I wouldn't mind if we went OLD/DE, CB or WR in the first but I think we address the OLD/DE position in free agency by signing Anthony Spencer.

Any good CBs in this years draft? Anyone know?
    New Orleans Saints
    LA Kings
    Cleveland Cavs
    NY Mets
    Duke Blue Devils

vCash
    My realistic take is we need to get our injured players back healthy (Morgan, Butler, Greer, Vacarro, etc) come out next season stop the untimely turnovers (Brees), focus more on the run game (Payton) vs the pass, find a KR/PR (Sproles), upgrade at K (Graham) and upgrade our ILB play (Lofton, Hawthorne), teach up Toon, and we should win the Superbowl. Do these things and give this thing 1 or 2 more shot as is current team and if it doesnt work I dont know what else we can do other than have a bad season and get higher draft picks to rebuild.

I wish we would trade Brees for some playmakers primarily at WR and or ILB. Pick up a couple more solid FAs, and draft picks.
    Get Griffin trained up and give that a go going forward focusing on running the ball. But thats my unrealistic version.
    LET'S ROLL SAINTS!!!

vCash
    You'd never get fair value for Brees. A couple of 1s isn't enough unless you could guarantee All-Pro players.

12 INTs for the season is very good for him. I think you're overreacting.

Page 1 of 66 1231151 ... LastLast