Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 83
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,730
    vCash
    1500

    Drafting QB high gives little chance of satisfaction.

    From 2013, Mike Glennon (3rd round) outperformed E.J.Manuel (1st) and Geno Smith (2nd) this past season. 2012 draftees Russell Wilson (3rd round) and Nick Foles (3rd round) were only two QBs with 100+ passer rating from that class. None of Luck, Griffin, Tannehill, Weeden, taken in round 1 made it into the 90s. From 2011 class, second rounders Dalton and Kaepernick finished ahead of all the first rounders, Newton, Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder, in passer rating in 2013. Sam Bradford from 2010 is hanging in there, but the other first rounder Tebow is out of football. Going further back it's hit and miss, Matt Stafford has put up some big numbers but the Lions are still in a rut five years later. Matt Ryan same with Atlanta after six years. Mark Sanchez is hanging on by a thread after his career started out promising. Then it gets real ugly with J. Russell and Vince Young further back.

    Plus you take yourself off the QB market for a few years. Either in terms of using another high draft pick at the position or acquiring a promising young prospect through free agency or trade.
    Last edited by Alpha Dog; 01-12-2014 at 01:59 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Dirty Duval
    Posts
    6,608
    vCash
    500
    agreed. explains why the jags should NOT take a QB

    and should take watkins or clowney
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    Gabbert is actually 24 now.
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    Yeah, in human years. In Gabbert years he's still 22.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,761
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jags4Life:27784299
    agreed. explains why the jags should NOT take a QB

    and should take watkins or clowney
    if thats the case we will not draft Winston, Mariota, etc next year either..... no need for a Damn qb

    The Future Jacksonville Jaguars Power Couple

    #InCaldwellWeDon'tTrust

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,730
    vCash
    1500
    Lesson is that you never know where your QB is going to come from. Gus Bradley is a proponent of throwing as many people as possible into the ring and seeing who emerges. If you use top 3 pick on a QB that effectively ends competition at the spot for several years. Whether the guy justifies the pick or not. Historically there is less than 50% chance that the pick is justified. More like about 30% chance.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,730
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by TDjacksonville View Post
    if thats the case we will not draft Winston, Mariota, etc next year either..... no need for a Damn qb
    At this point there is reasonable consensus that a top three of Winston, Mariotta, and Hundley is a lot more promising than a top three of Bridgewater, Bortles, and Manziel. Things can change, but the three guys who will be available next year could easily have been the top three QBs taken this year.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,761
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dog:27786598
    Quote Originally Posted by TDjacksonville View Post
    if thats the case we will not draft Winston, Mariota, etc next year either..... no need for a Damn qb
    At this point there is reasonable consensus that a top three of Winston, Mariotta, and Hundley is a lot more promising than a top three of Bridgewater, Bortles, and Manziel. Things can change, but the three guys who will be available next year could easily have been the top three QBs taken this year.
    they all will have Snead syndrome. After all according to your analysis it is absolutely worthless to draft a quarterback round 1.

    The Future Jacksonville Jaguars Power Couple

    #InCaldwellWeDon'tTrust

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,761
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dog:27786598
    Quote Originally Posted by TDjacksonville View Post
    if thats the case we will not draft Winston, Mariota, etc next year either..... no need for a Damn qb
    At this point there is reasonable consensus that a top three of Winston, Mariotta, and Hundley is a lot more promising than a top three of Bridgewater, Bortles, and Manziel. Things can change, but the three guys who will be available next year could easily have been the top three QBs taken this year.
    hundley is worse than all 3 listed. He's all potential and not much substance

    The Future Jacksonville Jaguars Power Couple

    #InCaldwellWeDon'tTrust

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,730
    vCash
    1500
    I don't think there is a QB worthy of a top 3 pick this year. Next year may be different.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,761
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dog:27786852
    I don't think there is a QB worthy of a top 3 pick this year. Next year may be different.
    according to your analysis it is never worth taking a quarterback in round 1.

    The Future Jacksonville Jaguars Power Couple

    #InCaldwellWeDon'tTrust

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,730
    vCash
    1500
    No, according to my analysis, quarterbacks shouldn't be "pushed up the board" strictly because of the position they play. Which happened every year except last year. There isn't much difference between Bridgewater, Bortles, and Manziel as prospects, compared to Geno Smith, E.J. Manuel, and Matt Barkley from last season.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,730
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by TDjacksonville View Post
    hundley is worse than all 3 listed. He's all potential and not much substance
    Hundley has thrown 51 Tds 6600 yards, 67% completion rate in two seasons as a starter. That is "substantial". He isn't playing for a powerhouse college team, either.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,761
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dog:27788820
    No, according to my analysis, quarterbacks shouldn't be "pushed up the board" strictly because of the position they play. Which happened every year except last year. There isn't much difference between Bridgewater, Bortles, and Manziel as prospects, compared to Geno Smith, E.J. Manuel, and Matt Barkley from last season.
    I'd disagree a lot there. Teddy is clearly a better passer than the said 3. Bortles I could see both ways. I'd say he's equal to ej. Manziels the wildcard. Can't say he's like any qb of recent memory of how he plays.

    The Future Jacksonville Jaguars Power Couple

    #InCaldwellWeDon'tTrust

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,761
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dog:27788853
    Quote Originally Posted by TDjacksonville View Post
    hundley is worse than all 3 listed. He's all potential and not much substance
    Hundley has thrown 51 Tds 6600 yards, 67% completion rate in two seasons as a starter. That is "substantial". He isn't playing for a powerhouse college team, either.
    if hundley was so good he would have declared. He's a 2nd rounder in terms of actual playing. Stats are skewed a ton by that offense.

    The Future Jacksonville Jaguars Power Couple

    #InCaldwellWeDon'tTrust

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,730
    vCash
    1500
    Of the final four for the SB, the only QB drafted highly was Manning, and he was signed as a free agent by Denver. That doesn't do much to support the "quarterback trumps everything" viewpoint.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bakersfield
    Posts
    2,869
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dog View Post
    Of the final four for the SB, the only QB drafted highly was Manning, and he was signed as a free agent by Denver. That doesn't do much to support the "quarterback trumps everything" viewpoint.
    Tom Brady of course was a fluke drafted in the 6th round. Greatest steal in the draft all time. Hard to use him as an example of why not to go QB in the first

    Manning was 1st overall and even though he was a FA for Denver his career in general has been HOF worthy. Just because he was signed as a FA in the back end of his career doesn't mean where he was drafting shouldn't be of note when ranking QBs.

    Wilson had first round talent. Most people who of all agreed that going into draft day. Wasnt seen as a 1st rounder soley for his height. Wilson at 6'4 or 6'5 and it would have been like Luck 1 RG3 2nd and Wilson 3rd. Although this could be used to point out either side but its not like he came out of no where.

    Kaepernick is the one example that works against drafting a QB in the first. With guys like Locker Ponder and Gabbert drafted in the early 1st because of need guys like Kapernick here fell. Although Kaepernick did go to a school not normally seen as a school to look for QBs at. Plus the pistol wasnt considered as an NFL weapon. Thats part in why he fell to the second.

    All and all sure a 1st round QB especially early is a hard pick. They are immediately expected to lead the team from the get go. This isnt as case in point in other positions. Jordan DE drafted by the Miami last draft 3rd overall was used in a rotation and didnt start. No one was rioting there over that. If a QB was drafted 3rd overal and didnt start in todays NFL fans would be calling for the coaches head the moment it was known he wasnt the starter. The coaches gms and their scouts just have to see who they like best and draft based on where they rank their players. If its a QB the draft a QB if not go with your best player.
    Member of the Mack/Donald Crew


    The David Fales QB Crew-HunterNRoss


Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •