Rookies:

1st Round - Bjoern Werner
    3rd Round - Hugh Thornton
    4th Round - Khaled Holmes
    5th Round - Montori Hughes
    6th Round - John Boyett
    7th Round - Kerwynn Williams
    7th Round - Justice Cunningham

The best word to describe this group: sub-par. Justice, Kerwynn, and John aren't even on the team anymore. Montori ended season on IR, but spent majority of season as a healthy inactive. Same with Khaled Holmes. Hugh Thornton got somewhat thrust into action with Donald Thomas going down in game 1, yet he struggled for a majority of the season. We didn't hear much about Bjoern...now sometimes you say that is a good thing, but with him no. He was almost non-existant. When I see now we passed up on guys like Xavier Rhodes and WR Deandre Hopkins, it irks me. Having a consistent pass rush was a huge issue this entire season...

Really a disappointing first overall impression. Now I'm sure one of those guys are going to turn it around next season and do well for us (let's remember how bad Fleener was his rookie year), but still....gahhhhhhhhh

#iubb

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jacquewho? View Post
    Rookies:

1st Round - Bjoern Werner
    3rd Round - Hugh Thornton
    4th Round - Khaled Holmes
    5th Round - Montori Hughes
    6th Round - John Boyett
    7th Round - Kerwynn Williams
    7th Round - Justice Cunningham

The best word to describe this group: sub-par. Justice, Kerwynn, and John aren't even on the team anymore. Montori ended season on IR, but spent majority of season as a healthy inactive. Same with Khaled Holmes. Hugh Thornton got somewhat thrust into action with Donald Thomas going down in game 1, yet he struggled for a majority of the season. We didn't hear much about Bjoern...now sometimes you say that is a good thing, but with him no. He was almost non-existant. When I see now we passed up on guys like Xavier Rhodes and WR Deandre Hopkins, it irks me. Having a consistent pass rush was a huge issue this entire season...

Really a disappointing first overall impression. Now I'm sure one of those guys are going to turn it around next season and do well for us (let's remember how bad Fleener was his rookie year), but still....gahhhhhhhhh
    We also passed up Keenan Allen

The good thing about Werner is I think he did improve throughout the course of the season. As for Holmes, I am not sure why he barely played. Thornton was one of the worst guards in the league, but like Grigson said it's hard to be a rookie Lineman.

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    http://imgur.com/a/4UK1e <---- BEST 10-15 SECONDS EVER

vCash
    Yea, I also wanted Xavier Rhodes but good pass-rush beats a good secondary IMO so I understand why they went with an OLB. To be fair, for part of the season Werner was graded as a Top-10 pick. I'll give him one more year before I'm disappointed.

vCash
    I don't mind Bjorn as a player, but I questioned the position of the pick to begin with. Mathis was our Rush, and we had just signed Walden to play opposite him.

WRs we passed on for Bjorn: Keenan Allen, Robert Woods, Deandre Hopkins, Cordrelle Patterson, Justin Hunter, Terrance Williams. Da'Rick did nice when finally brought up...but imagine any of the above instead of DHB all year and spending that extra 3.5 million on a CB, ILB, or G/C.

We had already signed Landry so Cypren or Elam wouldn't have made sense....but imagine Te'o or Kiko Alonzo...or even Jon Bostic next to Freeman. Think about Xavier Rhodes or Darius Slay playing opposite VD when Toler went down. Hell RB was more of a need then with just DB31 and Ballard (pre Bradshaw signing) with experience you have to wonder about Bernard and Lacey. I'm not a big fan of drafting 1st round RBs but if you need it and there is quality there sometimes you have to change your mind.

The rest of the draft:

I don't mind the OL picks, seemed like solid picks and guys at the time.

I think he took big gambles with Boyett and Hughes that probably were a little more risk than reward, but we are looking at a 5th and a 6th when you should be gambling a little..if they were say a 3rd and a 4th I would have had a problem with gambling on the picks.

Kerwin Williams and Justice were 7th round stabs in the dark sometimes you catch lightning, sometimes you cut them.

vCash
    Drafts like trades usually need to be looked at no less than 3 years after they occur to get a real sense of their value? Though I understand that this is an evaluation after the first year:

Werner: C-

Thorton: C

Holmes: Incomplete

Hughes: C-

Boyett: D

Williams: D

Justice: C

Werner and Thorton should vastly improve next season with Werner having a year at OLB'er and another off season to learn. Thorton started poorly but played well in the end....he too should benefit from another off season?

Holmes hopefully will show the form that made him a top Center prospect in 2011 and early 2012 before he got hurt. He was drafted while still hurt and missed rookie and most of training camp due to it.

Hughes was mostly an inactive but when he got in showed some flashes of what he could become prior to landing on the IR. Another offseason of proper preparation and hopefully he shows the ability the FO saw in him?

Boyett screwed himself and was a nice pick in the 6th due to his injury status....

Williams showed some glimpses in Training Camp but couldn't catch on....

Justice actually got some play in the regular season...

I refuse to give "F's" to players drafted in the lower end of the 6th and beyond as they were there for a reason
    If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

vCash
    Patterson would have been huge for us but yeah I still we had gotten Rhodes.

vCash
    Yup, I can honestly say watching last years draft I found myself speechless at times. The Werner pick really kind of just left me sitting with my mouth hanging open at one point even yelling "Noooo, are you kidding me??? Rhodes is right there!" (As if anyone who was actually making the decisions was listening to me.)

The entire time I had been hoping that Rhodes would fall into our lap. I felt and still feel that CB was a much greater need than Werner. It's not like Werner stepped in and created so much disruption as to allow Mathis to get his 19.5 sacks this season.

Now, I could end up eating my words if Werner takes a massive step forward this next year and puts up monster numbers. I'm not very encouraged that it will happen but as a true fan of the team, I'm hopeful that is exactly what will happen.

Since Thorton, Holmes and Hughes are the only guys remaining, I'll speak to my 1st impressions of them. Thorton seemed to get a bit better as the season went on, although I'd still much rather see Geoff Schwartz playing RG, Hughes, really have to see more of him and Holmes who knows maybe Satele will be released and Holmes in his 2nd season and being healthy will be tossed in at Center.

I'd have to say overall the entire draft class left me feeling somewhat disappointed especially Werner being a 1st rounder and not doing as much as I'd hoped. I am hopeful that with our picks being limited this year and no 1st Rounder that we hit a lot more than we miss. In the end though, only time will tell.