Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Detroit Red Wings (19-15-10) @ LA Kings (27-13-5)

Didn't notice a thread yet, I know football is still on. I may be one of the few guys that still likes these late starts. Go Wings!

Quote Originally Posted by NHL.com
    Last 10: Detroit 4-5-1; Los Angeles 4-5-1

Season series: This is the first of two games between the Detroit Red Wings and Los Angeles Kings. They meet again Jan. 18 at Joe Louis Arena.

Big story: Detroit is clinging to a berth in the Stanley Cup Playoffs while trying to tread water through a spate of injuries that never seems to end. Los Angeles is 2-0-1 since a season-high five-game losing streak. The Kings still hold the third spot in the Pacific Division, but the fourth-place Vancouver Canucks aren't far back of the division's final guaranteed playoff slot.

Team Scope:

Red Wings: Detroit comes to L.A. off a 4-1 road loss to the San Jose Sharks on Thursday, a game in which the Red Wings got back rookie defenseman Danny DeKeyser from a groin injury but didn't have top center Pavel Datsyuk (lower body). They're also missing four regulars who are on injured reserve.

One guy they've recently gotten back from injury is starting goalie Jimmy Howard, who's been up-and-down in four games since his return. He allowed a pair of bad goals in the loss to the Sharks and was pulled in the second period.

"You got to keep it out of your net," coach Mike Babcock told Ansar Khan of MLive.com. "We're not getting to four [goals]. Weíre getting to three, max. You got to keep them to two and under."

Kings: Los Angeles was 1-5-1 in seven games prior to beating the Boston Bruins 4-2 on Thursday at Staples Center. The Kings are hoping that game can help springboard them back to their former winning ways.

Also helping their cause is the return of top goalie Jonathan Quick, who is 2-0-1 since missing 24 games with a lower-body injury. Quick hasn't allowed more than two goals in the three games since returning last Saturday.

"Being out for seven weeks, even in his first game back it seemed like he didn't miss a game," captain Dustin Brown said. "It's impressive and it's a credit to him doing the work that he needed to do to be ready and it's why he's the best goalie [in the NHL]."

Who's hot: Tomas Tatar has scored goals in back-to-back games for the Red Wings. Ö Kings forward Jeff Carter has recorded at least a point in seven of his past 10 games, scoring seven goals and 10 points.

Injury report: Defenseman Jonathan Ericsson (fractured rib), forward Stephen Weiss (sports hernia surgery), forward Johan Franzen (concussion) and goalie Jonas Gustavsson (groin, neck) are on injured reserve for the Red Wings, who also faced San Jose without Datsyuk and center Darren Helm (groin). Ö Los Angeles isn't currently missing any regulars for health reasons.

vCash
    Riley's first goal!

vCash
    Ughh....I am totally against your energy drinks, due to that they're terribly unhealthy. BUT the wings really need to drink some Red Bull....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by madchenmarie View Post
    Ughh....I am totally against your energy drinks, due to that they're terribly unhealthy. BUT the wings really need to drink some Red Bull....
    I like Mt Dew Kickstart (orange citrus!, fruit punch is nasty)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    I like Mt Dew Kickstart (orange citrus!, fruit punch is nasty)
    My energy juice comes from either 1. a cup of coffee or 2. a cup of orange juice.....I know, hardcore lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by madchenmarie View Post
    My energy juice comes from either 1. a cup of coffee or 2. a cup of orange juice.....I know, hardcore lol
    lol nothing wrong with that

vCash
    Very cool that Tatar scored and apparently in honor of his father who passed away recently.

vCash
    Three straight games for Tatar!

vCash
    Lol. RW's boy *might* have just put this game on ice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    Lol. RW's boy *might* have just put this game on ice.
    lol goals are goals right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    lol goals are goals right?
    Definitely. Especially considering how awful the last few games (Dallas aside) have been.

vCash
    Gotta give credit where it's due. Cleary has played much better lately. He just looks so much faster recently.
    You need centerman that can play two ways and if they donít play two ways in the end, you canít win, because the guy you are counting on canít get himself on the right side of the puck enough. So sure he can score, he can score but his team loses every night, I didnít know that was the objective. I thought winning was the objective. So if you centers canít play down the middle, and canít play without the puck, you have no chance.
    - Mike Babcock

vCash
    Jimmy was amazing. Tatar has been great after that awful shootout attempt during the wc. And I didn't know Cleary lost 10 teeth against the Panthers, crazy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post
    Jimmy was amazing. Tatar has been great after that awful shootout attempt during the wc. And I didn't know Cleary lost 10 teeth against the Panthers, crazy.
    Wow that's a lotta teeth!