Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Tank watch: The Celtics NBA Draft Discussion

We're currently staring pick #5 right in the face.

This means we're looking at Randle/Exum/Smart

The top 3 picks are going to be Embiid, Parker and Wiggins in some order.

4-8 will consist of Randle, Exum, Smart, Gordon, Saric.

With Sully, Olynyk on board, do we go for another 4 in Randle or Gordon? I dont think so.

Will Rondo be signed long term? That would probably eliminate need for Exum or Smart.

If we dont get one of the top 3 picks, I could really see a trade coming.

vCash
    I was just about to post a thread like this actually, and I agree we should stay clear of PFs and PGs. Currently we have an 8.8% chance of winning the lottery, with only a handful of games separating us from having the #1 chance.

If we start winning and get a mid-round pick, I'd like to trade up, or take James Young/Gary Harris. Need a SG who can score and shoot the three ball.

Best case is #1/2 obviously, where I'd be fine with either Embiid or Parker (in which case we trade Green for a center or something like that). If we get the #5 pick, I'd look to trade that pick, Green or Bass and possibly future pick (Clips 2015) to get top 3....and that's still a long that any team accepts that.

P.S. I just came here after playing ESPN's lottery machine...I assume you were doing the same Corey lol?
    Last edited by BostonSports96; 01-11-2014 at 02:13 AM.

vCash
    Depending on where they end up and if he's still available, I would still be interested in a guy like Randle. With Sullenger's injury history and Olynyk's...I don't know, trade one of them and plug Randle in, he's ready for the NBA.

vCash
    Just taking a look at some past 1-10 picks since 04' and here is a list of the PF's drafted...

Thomas Robinson, Tristan Thompson, Derrick Favors, Blake, Jordan Hill, Love, Yi, Tyrus Thomas, Charlie V, Frye...

Fair to say Love is the only franchise, cornerstone, one of those once in a blue moon talent guy out of that bunch...???

Randle is talented but he is not going to be a foundation type player... I think DA got his PF's in Sully and Olynk...

I agree with Corey that if the C's are out of the top 3 a trade is very possible...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

vCash
    I believe we need to either:

1. Get so high in the draft we can get the player we most want - or better yet trade down a few slots and still get the player we want, and a nice bit of booty also.

2. Draft the best player we can get regardless of need. It's ridiculous to avoid a projected great PF or PG (stallions) in favor of dealing for a couple of shetland ponies at other positions. It would be easy to trade away any logjam pieces to accomplish a proper fit - even during the draft. For instance, if we can see Smart being the pick, deal Rondo right then and there, even for not much, to get his money off the books, avoid any extension with him, and point ourselves to the future without a player that's missed over 40% of his games the past 3+ seasons, not to mention all his other issues.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever35 View Post
    Just taking a look at some past 1-10 picks since 04' and here is a list of the PF's drafted...

Thomas Robinson, Tristan Thompson, Derrick Favors, Blake, Jordan Hill, Love, Yi, Tyrus Thomas, Charlie V, Frye...

Fair to say Love is the only franchise, cornerstone, one of those once in a blue moon talent guy out of that bunch...???

Randle is talented but he is not going to be a foundation type player... I think DA got his PF's in Sully and Olynk...

I agree with Corey that if the C's are out of the top 3 a trade is very possible...
    Each draft is different, and if this one isn't one of the 5 best since 1984 I'll be very surprised.

Again avoided a very talented player because we already have some at PF or PG is a poor choice. There isn't a single player on this team today that projects as a starting level player (32 MPG+) over the next 5 years for a top 5 seed in the RC. Green and Rondo will both be too old in 5 years, and even at best they would be marginal choices. Sully looks to be a very good rotational PF - say 26 MPG for such a team, and at his current contract it also makes him easily dealt as well. KO if he can add 25 lbs of muscle and drop 10 lbs of fat in the next 3 years could become such a player - but that's not a slam dunk by far.

At PG it's even easier. Instead of messing around with a declining Rondo that's going to cost about $87-90M over the next 6 years, get rid of him, and draft a PG, and pay him rookie money, and stock up with a very fine SG with the remaining money. How does keeping Rondo match that in terms of competing for the EC in 2 years and beyond? Poorly is the answer - unless the PG is a complete bust, in which case all our extra picks will allow us to reload at PG again 2-3 years later or via trade/FA.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    I believe we need to either:

1. Get so high in the draft we can get the player we most want - or better yet trade down a few slots and still get the player we want, and a nice bit of booty also.
    That seems to be DA's route on past draft days...

Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    2. Draft the best player we can get regardless of need. It's ridiculous to avoid a projected great PF or PG (stallions) in favor of dealing for a couple of shetland ponies at other positions. It would be easy to trade away any logjam pieces to accomplish a proper fit - even during the draft. For instance, if we can see Smart being the pick, deal Rondo right then and there, even for not much, to get his money off the books, avoid any extension with him, and point ourselves to the future without a player that's missed over 40% of his games the past 3+ seasons, not to mention all his other issues.
    Discussing the draft the last few season's the term BPA always seem to have come up, but I just don't think DA believes in that route... Sully, Olynk and AB were all guys that DA coveted... He moved up for Olynk, got real lucky with Sully's injury rumors and he wanted AB from the beginning...

I wonder what his thoughts are for this years draft...???
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

vCash
    Picks 4-12 in this draft are the danger zone in the sense players of similar ability will be available 13-18. The value is therefore in the mid teens. If the C's don't get a top three pick, then they either trade up to get one or go BPA route in accumulating more assets to eventually put together a trade package to bring an impact player to Boston.
    Current
    Rajon Rondo, Phil Pressey
    Jerryd Bayless, Chris Babb
    Jeff Green, Chris Johnson
    Brandon Bass, Jared Sullinger
    Kris Humphries, Kelly Olynyk, Joel Anthony

Injured
    Avery Bradley
    Gerald Wallace
    Keith Bogans
    Victor Faverani

Colton Iverson (stashed overseas)

vCash
    Randle is impressive....but he reminds me a lot of T-Rob who I loved and I know he hasn't really had an opportunity in the league .....he's already been traded ....and seems more like a bust....I'd avoid randle....if we get a high pick obviously I'd want embiid first then parker....after that Wiggins exum or smart.....exum really intrigues me .....6' 6" pg/SG....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by corky831 View Post
    Randle is impressive....but he reminds me a lot of T-Rob who I loved and I know he hasn't really had an opportunity in the league .....he's already been traded ....and seems more like a bust....I'd avoid randle....if we get a high pick obviously I'd want embiid first then parker....after that Wiggins exum or smart.....exum really intrigues me .....6' 6" pg/SG....
    Exum reminds me of mcw

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonSports96 View Post
    I was just about to post a thread like this actually, and I agree we should stay clear of PFs and PGs. Currently we have an 8.8% chance of winning the lottery, with only a handful of games separating us from having the #1 chance.

If we start winning and get a mid-round pick, I'd like to trade up, or take James Young/Gary Harris. Need a SG who can score and shoot the three ball.

Best case is #1/2 obviously, where I'd be fine with either Embiid or Parker (in which case we trade Green for a center or something like that). If we get the #5 pick, I'd look to trade that pick, Green or Bass and possibly future pick (Clips 2015) to get top 3....and that's still a long that any team accepts that.

P.S. I just came here after playing ESPN's lottery machine...I assume you were doing the same Corey lol?
    lol that thing is addictive

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by corky831 View Post
    It just doesn't pay to draft power forwards and combo 4/5's in the lottery. It's why I would avoid Randle, Vonleh, Gordon and the like unless they slip into the teens. All are going to be good players, but none are likely going to be great let alone transcendent in the NBA. The Celtic's don't need solid role player types - they need impact difference makers.
    Current
    Rajon Rondo, Phil Pressey
    Jerryd Bayless, Chris Babb
    Jeff Green, Chris Johnson
    Brandon Bass, Jared Sullinger
    Kris Humphries, Kelly Olynyk, Joel Anthony

Injured
    Avery Bradley
    Gerald Wallace
    Keith Bogans
    Victor Faverani

Colton Iverson (stashed overseas)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonSports96 View Post
    I hadn't been, actually. I didn't know it was up yet.

I was just re-watching some Kansas games and I felt like talking draft because of how impressive Embiid had looked.

vCash
    Last time the C's and Laker's were in the lottery together was 1994...

C's drafted Eric Montross and Laker's drafted Eddie Jones...

Reggie Lewis

vCash
    Jones had some really quality years

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast