Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Should the MLB adopt a 16-team playoff format?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they should.

7 17.50%
  • No, I don't like adding playoff teams.

8 20.00%
  • No, the regular season would be less important.

4 10.00%
  • No, because of scheduling issues.

1 2.50%
  • No, I don't like adding playoff teams and think the regular season should be more important.

7 17.50%
  • No, I don't like adding playoff teams, and because of scheduling issues.

2 5.00%
  • No, I think the regular season should be more important, and because of scheduling issues.

0 0%
  • No, because of all three reasons.

11 27.50%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Angry 16-team Playoffs?

I've been thinking of whether or not the MLB should adopt a 16-team playoff, similar to those of the NBA and NHL. Of all four major sports, I think it'd actually be the most exciting and dramatic in basebal, the way basball is played, the way no baseball game is ever over until the final out is recorded. There would be numerous Cindirella stories, and legends of players that took those teams through the playoffs would be born. I think it would also increase the popularity of the sport. Rivalries generate interest in a sport, and rivalries are generated by meaningful games. Old rivalries would be fostered, and new rivalries would be made. But do these pluses overcome the obvious problems of somewhat making the regular season irrelevant, making the playoffs no longer an accomplishment, scheduling issues, etc.?

vCash
    Yes, more than half of all baseball teams should be in the playoffs, and the WS can wrap up right before the Super Bowl.

vCash
    For reference these would be the playoff teams on this format this year.
    AL:
    1. Boston
    2. Oakland
    3. Detroit
    4. Cleveland
    5. Texas (better intradivisional record than Tampa Bay)
    6. Tampa Bay
    7. Kansas City
    8. New York or Baltimore, depending on tiebreakers

NL:
    1. St. Louis
    2. Atlanta
    3. Pittsburgh
    4. Los Angeles
    5. Cincinnati
    6. Washington
    7. Arizona
    8. San Francisco or San Diego, depending on tiebreakers
    Last edited by BoRedSox; 01-10-2014 at 05:43 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by otatop View Post
    Yes, more than half of all baseball teams should be in the playoffs, and the WS can wrap up right before the Super Bowl.
    With two days between each series, Game 7 of the World Series would be on the 43rd day of the playoffs (November 12 if they started the playoffs on October 1.)

vCash
    No, the fight for the 5th spot amongst the 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th best teams is what makes it good. If you let them all in, it's boring. Not to mention possibly letting in under-.500 teams.

5 of 15 is very good. If only they would eliminate divisions and play a close-to-balanced schedule. I want the top-3 teams to earn it, with the 4th and 5th best teams playing the one-game Play-In.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BoRedSox View Post
    ...16 team playoff..For reference ...on tiebreakers
    (I've omitted the first / opening thread statement and the names of the teams. As the concept is the point of the thread. Getting specific about teams seems counterproductive).

Interesting concept.. The question regarding schedule could be handled in more than one way. Suffice to say, an almost certain full house for every game played in September and on into October as the 'playoffs' proceed, will more than make up for the loss in revenue from the 14 teams that are excluded from the season ending tournament.

-A collective bargaining component where revenues are shared by all teams would have to be on board from the outset. The playing of interleague games would have to be adjusted to earlier in the season as once the tournament begins, the leagues would remain separate.

-The September roster expansion option would be all but eliminated. That may be shifted to the start of the year when teams are JUST beginning to play to form and health would be more protected by having a larger roster of players.

Not a bad concept.. there are some good ideas here...perhaps there are many more?..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by getfoul View Post
    No, the fight for the 5th spot amongst the 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th best teams is what makes it good. If you let them all in, it's boring. Not to mention possibly letting in under-.500 teams.

5 of 15 is very good. If only they would eliminate divisions and play a close-to-balanced schedule. I want the top-3 teams to earn it, with the 4th and 5th best teams playing the one-game Play-In.
    Division play is the heart and soul of the middle and small market teams.. Elimination of the approach would send baseball into a tailspin where there would be NO recovery. In general, two thirds of the playoff spots go to the one third of the highest payroll.. The Senior and Junior circuit hey days.. reduce the chances for all but a handful of teams to have a FAIR chance at winning a world series...

Like a hard salary cap, this is a bad idea..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GeronimoSon View Post
    Division play is the heart and soul of the middle and small market teams.. Elimination of the approach would send baseball into a tailspin where there would be NO recovery. In general, two thirds of the playoff spots go to the one third of the highest payroll.. The Senior and Junior circuit hey days.. reduce the chances for all but a handful of teams to have a FAIR chance at winning a world series...

Like a hard salary cap, this is a bad idea..
    I disagree. Plenty of small market teams are very good, and have good chances for winning the third seed. The actual difference between the 3rd and 5th best team is very small, but when it comes to the playoffs, you should earn it. Being in a weak division shouldn't be used as a market correction.

vCash
    I voted last one, but I don't think scheduling issues would be an issue.

I think a balanced schedule is more important.

vCash
    Two WC teams and 3 division winners in both leagues are enough imo.

I deal with the NHL having 16 teams in because there is better parity in the NHL playoffs than there is in any other major sport imo. Whereas the NBA, it would be almost impossible for me to watch the 2nd seeded Miami Heat take on the 7th seeded Charlotte Bobcats in the playoffs (if the season ended today in the NBA).

Baseball is fine the way it is. The introduction of the first WC in 1995 (the first year it was used at least) was a very good idea and I like the second WC as well but no more.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-10-2014 at 07:18 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by getfoul View Post
    I disagree. Plenty of small market teams are very good, and have good chances for winning the third seed. The actual difference between the 3rd and 5th best team is very small, but when it comes to the playoffs, you should earn it. Being in a weak division shouldn't be used as a market correction.
    They weren't plentiful prior to 1980.. and extremely so before 1950...

vCash
    So we will play baseball until early December?

vCash
    The playoff format is fine the way it is, no need to change it.

vCash
    Let's not turn baseball into a participation ribbon sport where pretty much everybody makes the playoffs.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BoRedSox View Post
    For reference these would be the playoff teams on this format this year.
    AL:
    1. Boston
    2. Oakland
    3. Detroit
    4. Cleveland
    5. Texas (better intradivisional record than Tampa Bay)
    6. Tampa Bay
    7. Kansas City
    8. New York or Baltimore, depending on tiebreakers

NL:
    1. St. Louis
    2. Atlanta
    3. Pittsburgh
    4. Los Angeles
    5. Cincinnati
    6. Washington
    7. Arizona
    8. San Francisco or San Diego, depending on tiebreakers
    They were both bellow .500, god damn I would hate to have seen them make the playoffs.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast