Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Three reasons for Knicks' recent success

It was not too long ago that Iman Shumpert was at the center of several different trade rumors for the reeling New York Knicks. Now, things in New York are far from perfect, but a three-game win streak (first of the season) and a strong five-game stretch have given Knicks’ fans something to get excited about. And Shumpert has been at the center of the recent turnaround.

So what has led to the Knicks’ recent success?

Iman Shumpert’s turnaround

Over the last five games, the Knicks are outscoring opponents by 58 points with Iman Shumpert on the court and getting outscored by 30 points with him off the court. He has played 169 minutes and sat 71 minutes over that stretch.

Shumpert entered the league three seasons ago with a reputation as a strong defender.While his defense has certainly had an impact over this five-game stretch, his offense is what has been most surprising.
    Knicks with Iman Shumpert On/Off
    Last 5 Games
    On Court Off Court
    Pts Diff +58 -30
    Off Effic 117.3 83.9
    FG pct 50.7 37.5

Over the last five games, Shumpert has averaged 15.8 points per game, 2.8 assists per game and 1.8 steals per game. All of those would be career highs for Shumpert (APG tied for career high).

His effective field goal percentage (adjusts for value of three-point field goal) is 76.0 percent over the last five games, compared to 42.7 percent before that.

During the Knicks’ win over the Miami Heat Thursday, Shumpert hit three shots from behind the arc in the 3rd quarter.

That is perhaps where he has improved the most over the last five games. Shumpert has attempted 5.6 threes per game and connected on 3.4 per game over the last five games. Through the first 30 of the season, Shumpert was attempting 2.7 3-pointers a game and connecting on just 0.8 per game.

Better defense

Knicks This Season
    1st 30 Gms Last 5 Gms
    PPG Diff -4.5 +5.6
    Opp PPG 99.2 92.0
    RPG Diff -4.1 +2.8

The Knicks as a whole have picked it up on the defensive end over the last five games. And it has not been because they have faced weak competition. They’ve beaten the Spurs, Heat and Mavericks during that stretch, who are a combined 75-33 this season.

Over the last five games, the Knicks have allowed 92.0 points per game, compared to 99.2 points per game during the first 30 games this season. That improvement comes even though the Knicks are playing at a relatively similar pace – 92.7 possessions per 48 minutes through Dec. 31, compared to 91.1 in the new year.

Getting easier looks

Against the Heat Thursday night, the Knicks finished with 52 points in the paint, breaking a streak of 73 consecutive games in which they scored 50 or fewer paint points.

The Knicks are averaging 6.5 more points per 100 possessions over their 4-1 stretch, and one of the reasons why is that they are getting easier looks. Over the last 5 games, the Knicks have averaged about 4 more paint points per game than they did in the first 30 games of the season.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/po...recent-success
    Last edited by 29$JerZ; 01-10-2014 at 04:02 PM.

vCash
    Absolutely true and on the mark...... I had shump a no factor coming into this season. ..so ill take that humble pie now....

vCash
    I remember when people were bashing shump, calling him overrated, he needs to be traded

knick fans and organization never let they players take time to develop
    this is why we lose such good players in the process of trading or dog housing

im so glad dolan and our new gm didn't pull the trigger on shump
    he's shown that he can really be an above avg and have the work ethic to get better

vCash
    People wanted to trade him for a Contract year Lowry or Faried...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yankstheknicks View Post
    Absolutely true and on the mark...... I had shump a no factor coming into this season. ..so ill take that humble pie now....
    non factor coming into the season??? yeah dude, have a couple of those pies on me.
    Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

So Tired of Melo Ball

vCash
    The fresh Prince is bizack

vCash
    3 reasons for the turnaround?

1. Woodson falling out of love with JR.

2. Melo realizing that he needs to be a coach on and off the court because Woody is deficient.

3. The rest of the team following Melo's lead.

vCash
    I don't know if 5 game stretch should be called success.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cheetos185 View Post
    When it should be a 5 game win streak against mostly good competition and a return to some of the things we saw last season when we won 54 games? Yeah it's a success. If we can stretch this run to 8 or 9 out of 10, bigger success. If we stretch our home heavy schedule to something like 15-4, even bigger success.

Plus you forgot "recent".

vCash
    These might have been the toughest 5 games in a row on our entire schedule, so you gotta get some brownie points for that. Its not your typical 5 game win streak against crappy east teams at home.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksFan4Years:27774617
    When it should be a 5 game win streak against mostly good competition and a return to some of the things we saw last season when we won 54 games? Yeah it's a success. If we can stretch this run to 8 or 9 out of 10, bigger success. If we stretch our home heavy schedule to something like 15-4, even bigger success.

Plus you forgot "recent".
    I'll call it success if they make it to ECF lol

vCash
    So Shump has a few good games and we all jump back on the hype train?

Don't get me wrong. I want Shump to succeed just like everyone else. I just can't forget how horrible he has been all season. Show me some consistency over a longer span of time and I'll gladly become a believer again.
    The Future!

vCash
    Shump has been great in these 5 games, but re really need him to be a 14, 5, 5, 40% 3 point shooter and all NBA level defender, consistently.

vCash
    Anyone else think the team had a bit of a wake up call while Melo was out? Since he's been back there seems to be a more fall in line approach to the team, like maybe some players got an eye opening experience with him out when they had the opportunity to get the ball as much as they want.

I just don't know what else to think for this kind of turnaround so suddenly. We had success on a 4 day break earlier, the back to back 30 point wins, but those game vs poor teams and that play quickly went bye bye.

vCash
    I'll call it success if they make it to ECF lol
    So you want to relive 1999 again? Dont blame you... I wonder if Y2K was as bad as it was supposed to be

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast