Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

How much blame should be assigned to Manning in his playoff losses?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013...ne-dones-fault

The writer has a "Manning Blame Scale" from 1 to 10, 10 being Manning shouldering the loss completely.

- What, really, is the biggest amount of credit/blame you can put on any single QB, factoring that there are differences in play style that rely on one more than the other?
    - Is this a fair or accurate assessment?

GAME 1: Jan. 16, 2000, divisional, Titans (14-3) at Colts (13-3)
    Spread: Colts by 5

Score: Titans 19, Colts 16

Manning performance: 19-42, 227 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT, 62.3 passer rating. Indy didn't score its first TD until after the two-minute warning.

Mitigating factor: Colts defense gave up 162 yards rushing to Eddie George.

Manning blame scale (1-10): 8

GAME 2: Dec. 30, 2000, wild card, Colts (10-6) at Dolphins (11-5)
    Spread: Colts by 1

Score: Dolphins 23, Colts 17, OT

Manning performance: 17-32, 194 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 82 passer rating.

Mitigating factor: Colts soft defense gave up 209 yards to Lamar Smith. Sensing a pattern here? Mike Vanderjagt missed a 49-yard field goal in OT.

Manning blame scale: 6

GAME 3: Jan. 4, 2003, wild card, Colts (10-6) at Jets (9-7)
    Spread: Jets by 6

Score: Jets 41, Colts 0

Manning performance: 14-31, 137 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT, 31.2 passer rating.

Mitigating factor: Colts had the ball for just 7:44 in the second half of one of the worst shutouts in NFL postseason history.

Manning blame scale: 9

GAME 4: Jan. 15, 2006, divisional, Steelers (12-5) at Colts (14-2)
    Spread: Colts by 8

Score: Steelers 21, Colts 18

Manning performance: 22-38, 290 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 90.9 passer rating. Sacked on fourth down with 1:20 to play.

Mitigating factors: Returning a fumble late in the game, the Colts' Nick Harper had a clear path to the end zone and the winning TD, but he was tackled by Ben Roethlisberger. The Colts missed a 46-yard field goal that would have tied the score. The Steelers went on to win the Super Bowl.

Manning blame scale: 7

GAME 5: Jan. 13, 2008, divisional, Chargers (12-5) at Colts (13-3)
    Spread: Colts by 11

Score: Chargers 28, Colts 24

Manning performance: 33-48, 402 yards, 3 TD, 2 INT, 97.7 passer rating. Manning threw for more than 400 yards, but his picks ended two excellent scoring opportunities.

Mitigating factors: The Chargers were without their starting QB and running back and were a double-digit underdog, but they still scored 28 points against the Colts' No. 1 ranked scoring defense.

Manning blame scale: 8

GAME 6: Jan. 3, 2009, wild card, Colts (12-4) at Chargers (8-8)
    Spread: Colts by 2

Score: Chargers 23, Colts 17, OT

Manning performance: 25-42, 310 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 90.4 passer rating.

Mitigating factors: Manning never got to touch the ball in OT after a 22-yard rushing TD by the Chargers ended the game.

Manning blame scale: 7

GAME 7: Jan. 8, 2011, wild card, Jets (11-5) at Colts (10-6)
    Spread: Colts by 2

Score: Jets 17, Colts 16

Manning performance: 18-26, 225 yards, 1 TD, O INT, 108.7 passer rating. Manning led a drive with under a minute to play to put the Colts up 16-14.

Mitigating factors: The Jets returned the final kickoff 47 yards and moved into game-winning field-goal range in only five plays.

Manning blame scale: 6

GAME 8: Jan. 12, 2013, divisional, Ravens (11-6) at Broncos (13-3)
    Spread: Broncos by 8

Score: Ravens 38, Broncos 35

Manning performance: 28-43, 290 yards, 3 TD, 2 INT, 88.3 passer rating. Interception in OT led to Ravens' winning field goal.

Mitigating factors: Broncos gave up a 70-yard TD pass with 1:09 to play.

Manning blame scale: 8

Conclusion? I hate to be a killjoy, and I tried until I was dizzy to spin these stats, I really did, but there's no way around it. As great as he is, in the opening games of the playoffs, as my colleague Bomani Jones likes to say, Manning suffers from "First-degree lemonbooty."

Yes, poor play by the defense was a factor in a lot of these games and several times Manning put his team in a position to win only to lose because of a missed field goal or a fluke play. But, for the most part, the more you dig the worse it gets. A perfect example of how we tend to re-write history in Manning's favor is the Ravens game from a year ago. Most of us tend to blame the Broncos' sleepwalking defense for giving up a 70-yard pass to send the game to overtime. Now maybe it's all the fantasy wins he has given us, or all those adorable against-type commercials, but it was Manning's interception in the second OT that set up the winning field goal. Or had you forgotten?
    Jerry West or Larry Bird? The discussion is over.
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/.../birdje01.html

Part of the GOAT team: Chamberlain, Bird, Duncan, Durrant, Ewing, Gervin.
    http://bkref.com/tiny/JIHaF

vCash
    Let's just put it this way.

A hell of a lot more than he gets.

vCash
    27%
    Go Knicks!

All time

vCash
    A hall of fame QB should be propelling his team despite the defense. I'd say he should get most of the blame for every playoff loss.

vCash
    This is a sad truth. One that worries me. Every time I speak of it I get attacked though.i just hope he steps up and is pissed enough to change it this year.

Me and my Boy.
    No halo.
    Thank you PSD for your support and prayers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RateSports View Post
    Let's just put it this way.

A hell of a lot more than he gets.
    This, absolutely. In nine of his 11 playoff losses, his team has scored less than 20 points. That's on him and the offense. Even in last year's playoff loss, Trindon Holliday contributed 14 points on special teams, so the offense only scored 21. Without Holliday's contributions, there'd be no "Hail Mary" by Joe Flacco because the Broncos would have lost in regulation.
    "...more talking went on between us all until [Roethlisberger and his entourage] left the bar. Then I seperated with [name redacted] and the other girls and went with another group, and everything else happened, and I was told about it this morning and felt I needed to give my statement. Looking back and hearing all of the details, it seems to me that it was a set-up, and so I think this needed to be told."

-Victoria Garofalo, Zeta Tau Alpha sorority sister, in a statement to the GBI

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    This, absolutely. In nine of his 11 playoff losses, his team has scored less than 20 points. That's on him and the offense. Even in last year's playoff loss, Trindon Holliday contributed 14 points on special teams, so the offense only scored 21. Without Holliday's contributions, there'd be no "Hail Mary" by Joe Flacco because the Broncos would have lost in regulation.
    Not to mention his interception in OT/Super Bowl. Neither were even remotely close to being a decent pass.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RateSports View Post
    Not to mention his interception in OT/Super Bowl. Neither were even remotely close to being a decent pass.
    Yeah, Tracy Porter said he knew exactly who Manning was going to throw to in Super Bowl XLIV, and that last pass in overtime against the Ravens last year was about as dumb as I've ever seen. He tried throwing the ball from near the sideline across his body back toward the numbers. Terrible decision.
    "...more talking went on between us all until [Roethlisberger and his entourage] left the bar. Then I seperated with [name redacted] and the other girls and went with another group, and everything else happened, and I was told about it this morning and felt I needed to give my statement. Looking back and hearing all of the details, it seems to me that it was a set-up, and so I think this needed to be told."

-Victoria Garofalo, Zeta Tau Alpha sorority sister, in a statement to the GBI

vCash
    100% since people give him 100% credit for the wins......................

but seriously though, no more than anyone else who played. its a team sport
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 11 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals (May 2014)

vCash
    It's simply not that clear cut and dry. We have to look at the why the Broncos loss. Was someone injured, did the special teams lose it? Bad calls or no calls we should have seen, we can;t ignore any of that.
    Last edited by CCRider; 01-10-2014 at 02:16 PM.

vCash
    Yup. Let's face it, the guy sucks. Denver should cut him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Yup. Let's face it, the guy sucks. Denver should cut him.
    I thought your post would have more quality than this. I am disappoint.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Austeezy View Post
    I thought your post would have more quality than this. I am disappoint.
    Sometimes I disappoint myself.

No single player wins or loses games, it's a team sport, and questioning the legitimacy of one of the best of all time just doesn't seem worth it to me. Seems like any amount of success is immediately met with "how can we minimize it".

vCash
    Indy hasn't had a good team around Peyton. He doesn't have the luck that a Brady does, in having a good defense, good offensive line, great special teams, and good running game. If peyton loses, it's because he didn't have a great game. In some cases he will have a great game and still lose, like that game against the ravens. Manning was a flacco hail mary away from advancing.

When was the last time Brady lost a playoff game because of a missed field goal? How many games were won by a great field goal? Manning lost because his kicker missed a field goal in OT, that is harsh.
    Pitches Thrown: 239 Strikes: 145
    15.1 INN 9 K 4 BB
    1 W 1 L 0.59ERA
    Joe "The Bunter" Kelly

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shlumpledink View Post
    Indy hasn't had a good team around Peyton. He doesn't have the luck that a Brady does, in having a good defense, good offensive line, great special teams, and good running game. If peyton loses, it's because he didn't have a great game. In some cases he will have a great game and still lose, like that game against the ravens. Manning was a flacco hail mary away from advancing.

When was the last time Brady lost a playoff game because of a missed field goal? How many games were won by a great field goal? Manning lost because his kicker missed a field goal in OT, that is harsh.
    This is the dumbest post I have ever read.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast