Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

A-Rod might consider reduced ban

ESPNNewYork.com | January 9, 2014
    NEW YORK -- For Alex Rodriguez, the decision of whether to accept a suspension or fight on comes down to dollars and sense.

A source in Alex Rodriguez's camp says the slugger "might decide to take his medicine and move on."

As the day for arbitrator Fredric Horowitz to rule on Rodriguez's appeal of his 211-game ban draws near -- some think it could come as soon as Friday -- the beleaguered slugger has discussed the possibility of accepting a reduced ban without attempting to get an injunction delaying his punishment, according to a source in A-Rod's camp.

According to the source, a suspension longer than 100 games will likely cause Rodriguez and his attorneys to pursue a temporary restraining order against Horowitz's ruling in federal court.

If he is given a shorter suspension, however, "then Alex will have some things to think about," the source told ESPNNewYork.com.

According to the source, who has been privy to some internal discussions in the Rodriguez camp, the player is weighing the financial implications of continuing to fight this battle versus accepting a suspension that will allow him to take the field sometime in the second half of the coming season.

Taking his battle into the courtroom will cost Rodriguez "at least $10 million, with no guarantee of winning," said the source, while a 100-game ban would cost him $15,425,000 of his scheduled $25 million salary for 2014.

"All of this has been presented to Alex and he is weighing his options," the source said. "In certain situations it may not make much sense to continue to fight."

Previously, Rodriguez and his attorneys had vowed to fight any suspension -- "I shouldn't even serve one inning," he said in November after storming out of the hearing room upon learning that baseball commissioner Bud Selig would not have to testify -- but clearly, that position has softened in the nearly six weeks since the hearing recessed.

According to the source, Rodriguez has been soliciting opinions from his lawyers and advisers on what course to pursue once Horowitz announces his decision and has given indications he is receptive to accepting a reduced punishment rather than tie up more time and money in court.

"It's not just a matter of money," the source said. "It's also about the mental anguish of going through this and not knowing if or when you're going to play again. Alex might decide to take his medicine and move on."

Spokespersons for Major League Baseball and the players' association declined to provide information as to when Horowitz might announce his decision, and sources in Rodriguez's camp said they had not been put on an alert that a verdict was forthcoming.

But now that baseball's annual Hall of Fame announcement has passed and the newly elected players -- Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine and Frank Thomas -- have held New York news conferences, it is expected that Horowitz will announce his decision shortly, perhaps as soon as Friday.
    http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?s...rk&src=desktop

vCash
    Arod entertains me.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

BREAKING NEWS: Sources tell me it's official. We stink.

vCash

I hope he fights til the end

RUDY

vCash
    I agree.. Fight Alex.. Don't give in!

vCash
    The yankees should reach out to Alex and offer to pay the legal fees in order to fight this.
    "I'm an administrator. I'm a good listener. I would not pass myself off as an evaluator of talent"

- Brian Cashman, GM of the Yankees

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    The yankees should reach out to Alex and offer to pay the legal fees in order to fight this.
    They honestly should
    Quote Originally Posted by CubbieSteve View Post
    Squibble Squabble

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    I wish they could, but they can't...

STill, I can understand him not fighting because spending 10 million to save 5 million is rather foolish.

Also, this case is sooooo bad.. if this were a court of law, the case would have been over after the first day.. because of the Chain of Possession of the evidence, and how it was obtained, it would have been thrown out on technicalities... Heck, even the old owner might not have been allowed to testify because the case was easily made that he's doing it under duress... due to MLB currently suing him.

but this is not a court of law, and would be a civil trail where the evidence rules are different... still... MLB should be embarrassed about this whole thing... not because of guys using... but because of how they went about this... .

vCash
    A-roid thinks he is bigger than the game of baseball, to me he is a LOSER. There have been better players than him before and there will be better players after him. He has some balls to go after the people that are paying for him to make an *** of himself.
    He does not warrant the chance to put on a baseball jersey.
    LOSER.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bfrap View Post
    I wish they could, but they can't...

STill, I can understand him not fighting because spending 10 million to save 5 million is rather foolish.

Also, this case is sooooo bad.. if this were a court of law, the case would have been over after the first day.. because of the Chain of Possession of the evidence, and how it was obtained, it would have been thrown out on technicalities... Heck, even the old owner might not have been allowed to testify because the case was easily made that he's doing it under duress... due to MLB currently suing him.

but this is not a court of law, and would be a civil trail where the evidence rules are different... still... MLB should be embarrassed about this whole thing... not because of guys using... but because of how they went about this... .
    The "evidence" has never been revealed, so I'm curious why you say this.

I'm also skeptical that attorneys fees could approach anything close to $10 million. That sounds more like he's rationalizing why he's going to throw in the towel.
    <a href=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/29/Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg/240px-Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg target=_blank>http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._1%2C_2012.jpg</a>

BA: .269 HR: ONE! RBI: 14 SB: 6 AGE: 40

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MAINE YANKEE View Post
    A-roid thinks he is bigger than the game of baseball, to me he is a LOSER. There have been better players than him before and there will be better players after him. He has some balls to go after the people that are paying for him to make an *** of himself.
    He does not warrant the chance to put on a baseball jersey.
    LOSER.
    I would like to be a loser who made $550 million.

In other news, I enjoy your water.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

BREAKING NEWS: Sources tell me it's official. We stink.

vCash

arod

RUDY

vCash
    NEW YORK -- For Alex Rodriguez, the decision of whether to accept a suspension or fight on comes down to dollars and sense.
    I want to be a beat writer

vCash
    A-Rod will do what's best for A-Rod. If the inevitability is that he loses this decision and has to face the 211 ban, he'll come back to MLB and take a lesser punishment.

Either way, he really can't win. If he files an injunction after the arbitrator's ruling against him, there are no guarantees he can win that either and it will just cost him even more money in lawyer's fees to continue fighting the good fight.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-09-2014 at 10:47 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    The "evidence" has never been revealed, so I'm curious why you say this.

I'm also skeptical that attorneys fees could approach anything close to $10 million. That sounds more like he's rationalizing why he's going to throw in the towel.
    What has been release through other sources is the the evidence that MLB got, was in 1 persons possesion, then stolen out of their vehicle... only to somehow make it into MLB's hands a few weeks later... Whether that is true or not, I don't know.. but I would not be surprised if it was...Heck, MLB could have paid the theif to steal it...

As far as the fees, that stuff was mentioned in the article...Sounds like his legal team is recommending that he stop when the winning costs more than simply giving up... I do agree, it is hard to rationalize spending more than you can win... in some states (NY is not one), if he won, MLB would have to reimburse his court/attorney fees...

I know I personally would love to see him make PUD pucker up and win... They claim that Horowitz is an upright guy... we shall see...

vCash
    I love it when Yankee haters talk about banning Arod!! LOL! Freeing up 30 mill this year would hurt the Yanks?!?! HAHA Please ban him for good!!!! And I'm not an Arod hater..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast