Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

I think Pep should return

Anyone else want to flip-flop their opinions on Pep? Beginning of the year, I was excited when the Colts hired him. Towards the middle of the year I was quickly souring because of his stubbornness and lack of creativity. However, my opinion changed again. Colts finally let Luck throw. Remember that opening series against KC? 7 plays, 7 throws. He is figuring out how to get the ball into Hilton's hands. He's putting the offense in Luck's hands. I think he's shown enough these past 5 weeks and he deserves to stay next season. Let's see what he can do when the Colts get their most versatile weapon back (Dwayne Allen).

Who else wants Pep to stay?
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    12-5 And doing well with an Injury ravaged team, I absolutely believe Pep should and will return. The bigger issue in my opinion is Pagano, he's the one obsessed with this whole "RUN & POUND THE BALL". Pep has really adjusted well with the shotgun and up tempo offense. I really believe having Allen & Ballard back next year will make a huge difference as well they both fit the offense well. A two TE Set with Hilton and Wayne at wideout is pretty damn impressive.
    "Only Losers Blame Refs" - Seth Davis

Colts

Pacers

Hoosiers

vCash
    Manusky is the only guy I have concerns about but Pep has proven he can get the job done. I also think Luck needs continuation of a play book to thrive and grow as a QB. The same way Peyton had TOm Moore for so many years.

A healthy and improved line should also help the run game but I said that last year and it never happened so who knows if the COlts ever get a run game to take the pressure off of Luck.

vCash
    I believe in continuity but would love to see a "special advisor" hired to assist Pep next year....this team is gonna have a ton of weapons and most of them will be WR's and TE's.
    If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacerlive View Post
    Manusky is the only guy I have concerns about but Pep has proven he can get the job done. I also think Luck needs continuation of a play book to thrive and grow as a QB. The same way Peyton had TOm Moore for so many years.

A healthy and improved line should also help the run game but I said that last year and it never happened so who knows if the COlts ever get a run game to take the pressure off of Luck.
    ^Same. Always been skeptical with Manusky.

#iubb

vCash
    of course. I was pissed at him at times but fans always criticize and overreact to playcalling. It was his first year so I'll give him a pass on the negatives.

I don't want a rotating door of coordinators coming in and messing with Luck like it did with Sanchez and Bradford

vCash
    Having to use TY Hilton in new formations/sets, forcing Brazil/Rogers into the mix...he got the young kids to play well down the stretch.

Gotta figure out the O-Line...

#iubb

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadds The Gr8 View Post
    of course. I was pissed at him at times but fans always criticize and overreact to playcalling. It was his first year so I'll give him a pass on the negatives.

I don't want a rotating door of coordinators coming in and messing with Luck like it did with Sanchez and Bradford
    The only OC's i would want over Pep are Kubiak and Norv. Otherwise, it's probably best we stay with Pep.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    According to the hype pre season, Pep was a hot name in coaching and was going to use this as a stepping stone anyway, so his hire wasn't really expected to be a long term thing, it was expected to be a short term solution to a problem we had from having too much success with Arians. The problem with Tom Moore was that he spoiled us, usually when you have success or failure you loose coordinators, sometimes they come back after failing on their own, but Moore didn't want to be a HC and again spoiled us. Usually only the mediocre teams that are too good to house clean but not good enough to warrant attention of other teams get to keep their coordinators for extended periods of time.

Here are my thoughts:

1) It isn't all Pep's fault but this coaching staff is great at making adjustments, and terrible at making game plans. If it wasn't Pep making the same gameplan for the first half of the next week, why did he not stand up and change it so we didn't fall in a 1st half hole?

2) Pagano needs at least one coordinator with head coaching experience with him. He obviously doesn't know how to make a game plan, nor do either of his coordinators. With Pagano's defensive background I would hope he could do some D game planning, so that means the OC needs to be self sufficient on coming up with the attack plan, and I'm not sure Pep is that from what I saw last year.

3) As many have and will say Manusky needs to go....and Pagano should have taken the D over after the KC game...at least I hope he didn't.

4) Who was in charge of starting/sitting/activating players? They need to be held accountable weather it was Pep, Pagano, Grigson...or even Irsay or a combination of the group. Satele over McGlynn in the playoffs when we see way too much pressure up the middle, Da'Rick sitting for so long while DHB was dropping us to the 4th seed (pun intended), even having Toler (I know for a fact this wouldn't be Pep) start when he had no business physically being out there...I don't know who got input from who, but they were both wrong on the ones I mentioned and more. Again maybe not Pep's fault, but you gotta wonder why he wouldn't stand up and make a bigger case for Da'Rick or even Griff (at KR or WR) sooner.

5) 3 words: No Huddle offense...how was this not a huge part of who we were as a team this year? Not sure if this would be Pep completely, but obviously it worked in the 2nd half and this goes back to poor game planning. Didn't even need to hurry the offense, just keeping the opposing team from subbing is huge.

I've said all along I liked Pep's offense, but I couldn't stand our offensive gameplanning or preparation. I just think that someone could come in with head coaching experience and help Pagano with these things on the offensive side of the ball while running a similar offense...and allow him and our new D coordinator to brainstorm more on the defensive side.

vCash
    Yeah I am all for Pep staying and maybe next year giving another look at power running considering he will have better players to run it next season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider28 View Post
    Yeah I am all for Pep staying and maybe next year giving another look at power running considering he will have better players to run it next season.
    Even with a better OL and a TRich that understands the offense and is 100% ready, Pep still can't line them up in an obvious power formation that is a run 70-80% of the time and expect to succeed by pounding it up the middle out of said formation in the first half. If he is going to stay, he needs to realize that predictability is the death of many good coaches in the NFL. Even the best OL and RB combination can be shut down when the D knows what is coming.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by matthollabak View Post
    Even with a better OL and a TRich that understands the offense and is 100% ready, Pep still can't line them up in an obvious power formation that is a run 70-80% of the time and expect to succeed by pounding it up the middle out of said formation in the first half. If he is going to stay, he needs to realize that predictability is the death of many good coaches in the NFL. Even the best OL and RB combination can be shut down when the D knows what is coming.
    O I agree but I think it would be good to try it maybe 20% of the time.