Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

The Steroid Hunt -- A History of Journalism and Steroids in Baseball

Excellent article about what journalists did and did not do during the steroid era, and what they are doing and not doing about it now as voters for the HoF.

The Steroid Hunt
    We know what MLB players were doing during the steroid era. Here's what baseball writers did.

By Bryan Curtis on January 8, 2014

As sports fans, we've decided two things about the annual Baseball Hall of Fame announcement. First, we don't want to flatter the voters that is, baseball writers by talking about their nay votes for PED users, their moral preening, or their hand-wringing about the "soul" of baseball.

Second, we've decided that we can't stop talking about this. Let's expand the ballot, reimagine the electorate, etc.

What's missing is a portrait of baseball writers during the Steroid Era. The Baseball Writers' Association of America grants its nearly 600 voting members a curious privilege: They're responsible for shaping a player's reputation both during his career and after his retirement. They write the game story and then row the boat across the River Styx.
    Read the full article here:
    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ng-steroid-era
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    That was really well done.

I learned a lot too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    That was really well done.

I learned a lot too.
    There are a lot of great links to other very informative stories in the article as well -- such as this one about how weight lifting -- and using supplements -- became popular in baseball. Who knew no baseball team had it's own weight room until ~1984?

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...ive-pumped.htm
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash

Man, I have read some excellent articles in regards to the Hall of Fame as well asteroids this week. And this was no exception. I wish more people wouldn't be scared away by the fact that it's a long read.

Not only did I read the entire, well written article, but I probably read more articles by clicking on links throughout the read. The Keith Ockerbloom article "Nobody elected to HOF" was another excellent read.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tragedy View Post
    Man, I have read some excellent articles in regards to the Hall of Fame as well asteroids this week. And this was no exception. I wish more people wouldn't be scared away by the fact that it's a long read..
    Sad statement about fans who want to spew opinions but refuse to educate themselves. It was a good read too.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 01-09-2014 at 08:09 PM.

vCash

Thanks for sharing. That was a great read.

Sidenote: I went to middle school with Greg Anderson's kid back in 05. Nice kid, but everyone saw Bonds as a saint in the Bay Area and Anderson as the devil. For that, his kid suffered since people have him crap for "ruining" Bonds' image.

vCash
    I have read that PED's can slow the aging process, prevent injuries and speed up the recovery from injuries. These are all good things, why aren't they legal? Shouldn't you and I be taking them? Someone please clarify my doubts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffreyfeldman View Post
    I have read that PED's can slow the aging process, prevent injuries and speed up the recovery from injuries. These are all good things, why aren't they legal? Shouldn't you and I be taking them? Someone please clarify my doubts.
    I'm not steroid expert, but there's a reason why people like Ken Caminiti die of heart attacks at such a young age.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffreyfeldman View Post
    You read wrong, were misinformed, or came across a bad source.

PEDs have no known medical benefit. They are dangerous and harmful taken at the doses administered to the athletes for the purpose of enhancing their performance. This is why they are not legal and never will be legal.

Synthetic Human Growth Hormone has a medical benefit: to treat people with an under-active pituitary gland that does not produce enough natural human growth hormone.

It does not reverse the natural effects of aging. And it is not administered at doses even close to what athletes use it for.

Growth hormone is produced by the pituitary gland — a pea-sized structure at the base of the brain — to fuel childhood growth and help maintain tissues and organs throughout life. Beginning in middle age, however, the pituitary gland slowly reduces the amount of growth hormone it produces. This natural slowdown has prompted an interest in the use of synthetic human growth hormone (HGH) to stave off the realities of old age.

If you're skeptical, good for you. There's little evidence to suggest human growth hormone can help otherwise healthy adults regain youth and vitality.

Who needs to take human growth hormone?

Synthetic human growth hormone, which must be injected, is available only by prescription. It's approved to treat adults who have true growth hormone deficiency — not the expected decline in growth hormone due to aging.

Growth hormone deficiency in adults is rare and may be caused by pituitary adenoma — a tumor on the pituitary gland — or treatment of the adenoma with surgery or radiotherapy. For adults who have a growth hormone deficiency, injections of human growth hormone can:

Increase bone density
    Increase muscle mass
    Decrease body fat
    Increase exercise capacity
    Human growth hormone is also approved to treat AIDS- or HIV-related muscle wasting.

What can human growth hormone do for otherwise healthy adults?

Studies of healthy adults taking human growth hormone are limited. Although it appears that human growth hormone injections can increase muscle mass and reduce the amount of body fat in healthy older adults, the increase in muscle doesn't translate into increased strength. It isn't clear if human growth hormone may provide other benefits to healthy adults.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/growth-hormone/art-20045735
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Excellent article about what journalists did and did not do during the steroid era, and what they are doing and not doing about it now as voters for the HoF.

Read the full article here:
    http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ng-steroid-era
    Magnificent article, Dug, one of the best I've seen on the subject. Many thanks for posting.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Thanks for posting this. Will def have a look at it soon. Don't know if there's a more polarizing issue in sports now than steroids in baseball.
    Favourite Teams:

Boston Red Sox: 39-49, games this week vs. White Sox (4), Rays (3)
    Indianapolis Colts: Good draft and off-season so far.
    Looking for new NBA team to cheer for
    Ottawa Senators: 37-31-14, season over, free agency begins this week.

vCash
    Great article!! For years I've told my friends that LaRussa was involved in either hooking guys up, or looking the other way. And I would bet anything that it didn't change anything when he went to Stl. And numbers show that it was pretty obvious...at least to me. Since LaRussa left, I really can't be as positive as I was about the Cards.

I think there's about 5 pretty obvious teams that either provide PED's, encourage it, or look the other way.

Balt
    Yanks
    Bos
    Stl
    Tor

It's my opinion that Nelson Cruz will sign with one of these teams. Again, my opinion.