Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who is the Mets #4 prospect?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dilson Herrera

0 0%
  • Domingo Tapia

0 0%
  • Dominic Smith

15 65.22%
  • Wilmer Flores

3 13.04%
  • Gavin Cecchini

0 0%
  • Amed Rosario

1 4.35%
  • Cesar Puello

1 4.35%
  • Kevin Plawecki

1 4.35%
  • Brandon Nimmo

2 8.70%
  • Jacob deGrom

0 0%
  • Steven Matz

0 0%
  • Michael Fulmer

0 0%
  • Cory Mazzoni

0 0%
  • Jeurys Familia

0 0%
  • Vic Black

0 0%
  • Erik Goeddel

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

2014 PSD Mets Forum #4 Prospect

Vote for who you think is the #4 prospect.

vCash
    Dominic Smith, because he is a better prospect than the #3 prospect that was just voted in.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Dominic Smith, because he is a better prospect than the #3 prospect that was just voted in.
    Agreed

vCash
    lol

I think it was close though. People seem to really value being close to the big leagues.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    lol

I think it was close though. People seem to really value being close to the big leagues.
    Or people have no idea how to evaluate talent, but they think they do.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē

vCash
    Yeah. I try to make my own evaluations and judgments on a player first by watching them and reading about them.

vCash
    Yeah. I try to make my own evaluations and judgments on a player first by watching them and reading about them.
    It wasn't directed to you, it was a broad statement.

vCash
    It wasn't directed to you, it was a broad statement.
    I know, I just wanted to say it so maybe others can do the same instead of just guessing lol

vCash
    Smith, but it seems I might not know anything about evaluating talent. So........

vCash
    You mean people like Toby Hyde, or Matt Eddy from Baseball America?
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    I think its fair to judge a player based on two completely different categories -- ceiling and floor.

Personally I think Dom Smith has a higher ceiling than just about everybody (= to Noah). Being 18 w/ 200 AB in the GCL there is not a lot I could say about his floor.

It is about what you prefer, they are equally important and favoring one over the other is a matter of managerial strategy.

A guy like Montero has a lot of polish and at this point has a very high floor -- I don't think I'm jumping the gun too much to say he has already made the major leagues. His ticket is punched even if its not opening day. That is not to say he has a low ceiling but he's not Noah, Zack, TDA or Dom Smith.

Its kinda the same Gioloto/Cecchini argument.

I voted Smith second but I completely understand why somebody would put TDA or Montero ahead of them. I think they are around the same value/status wise, but Smith has a much higher ceiling.
    "Andy Dalton is an average QB. Look at the Bengals offense, it's like Noah's ark. Two of everything."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Smith, but it seems I might not know anything about evaluating talent. So........
    I think Clay went a bit too far, but honestly I'm surprised you went with Montero since you were a huge Smith guy before the draft.

I respect your decision, but I really doubt Montero is better than a #3 starter, regardless of his numbers.

I know Smith is far away and all, but he has a good approach and was labeled the best hitter in the draft class. That's pretty special. As a 1st rounder, I think the hype is justifiable until proven otherwise.

He has a chance to be a very good 1B in the future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I think its fair to judge a player based on two completely different categories -- ceiling and floor.

Personally I think Dom Smith has a higher ceiling than just about everybody (= to Noah). Being 18 w/ 200 AB in the GCL there is not a lot I could say about his floor.

It is about what you prefer, they are equally important and favoring one over the other is a matter of managerial strategy.

A guy like Montero has a lot of polish and at this point has a very high floor -- I don't think I'm jumping the gun too much to say he has already made the major leagues. His ticket is punched even if its not opening day. That is not to say he has a low ceiling but he's not Noah, Zack, TDA or Dom Smith.

Its kinda the same Gioloto/Cecchini argument.

I voted Smith second but I completely understand why somebody would put TDA or Montero ahead of them. I think they are around the same value/status wise, but Smith has a much higher ceiling.
    Hard to have a higher ceiling than an above average catcher borderline AS.

I'm not fooled by TdA's cup of coffee. Smith is a 1B, that's the only thing holding him back.
    Last edited by YoungStuna; 01-09-2014 at 08:01 PM.

vCash
    Hard to have a higher ceiling than an above average catcher borderline AS.

I'm not fooled by TdA's cup of coffee. Smith is a 1B, that's the only thing holding him back.
    Hard? Sure. Impossible? No. Enter Dom Smith. Like you said, above average borderline all-star. I think Dom Smith could be an all-star. 1B or no 1B there's the same amount for both positions.
    "Andy Dalton is an average QB. Look at the Bengals offense, it's like Noah's ark. Two of everything."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Hard? Sure. Impossible? No. Enter Dom Smith. Like you said, above average borderline all-star. I think Dom Smith could be an all-star. 1B or no 1B there's the same amount for both positions.
    Except catcher is way harder to play than 1B. I don't think Smith will be better than above average honestly(3-4 WAR), but as a 1B that's damn good.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast