Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

What happens if Jeter cannot play?

Put me at the top of his fan club. Besides that, I am concerned about just how healed he is. He has had a serious injury and has been cleared to play. I hope he plays all year and bats .350 but if that injury rears it ugly head again what should we do?

Not having him in games is a huge deal. Derek hanging out in the dugout being supportive is not the same as him being on the field. He is a leader. He is our Captain. Replacing him has much more to do than stats. Jorge is gone, Mariano is gone. I don't see any leaders like them.

I guess we have been spoiled for too long.

Go Derek! Go Yanks!

R.I.P. Jerry Coleman, wonderful Yankee and true war hero.
    'Real' Yankee fans tell the truth about the team whether it is nice or not.

"Well, that kind of puts a damper on even a Yankee win."
    -- Yankees announcer Phil Rizzuto after reading a bulletin that Pope Paul VI had died

vCash

Nunez!
    10 Rec, 96 YD, 1TD

vCash

Really tho as good as Ryan is defensively if he had to play semi regularly and bat 9th I'd be ok w that
    10 Rec, 96 YD, 1TD

vCash

vCash
    Brendan Ryan pretty much with Nunez getting time there if Ryan really struggles offensively and doesn't provide a ton of defensive value.

That's Ryan's game pretty much. He was maybe the best defensive SS in baseball prior to last year.

vCash
    Ryan plays and makes Jeter look like he is a 95 year old gimp.

Masahiro Tanaka

11-1| 99.2 IP| 10.20 K/9| 1.44 BB/9| 0.90 HR/9| 1.99 ERA| 2.70 FIP| 2.32 xFIP| 2.9 fWAR

vCash
    nunez 2014!
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    I think the more serious question is what can you expect out of Jeter. I'm with 7chuck7, top of the Jeter fan club, but at 40 he can't have much left in the tank. I think last year's injuries weren't necessarily due to the ankle not healing properly but rather Jeter rushing back and not being fully conditioned. That's why we saw a bunch of calf/hamstring/groin strains and each time he tried to come back too quickly (for a then 39 year old) and his body just needed more time. Since being shut down and having the entire offseason to regain the strength in his lower body I'm not as concerned with those recurring injuries. Don't get me wrong, at 40 he's still a big injury risk, but not as great as when he was fresh off ankle surgery.

The bigger question mark is what can Jeter still do on the field. As a Yankee fan, you never want to count him out as you've seen him rise to the occasion too many times to count in the past, but... For him to have value this year he's going to have to hit enough that it more than covers up his defensive liabilities. In 2012, he was -10.6 runs below average with the glove and 15.5 runs above average with the bat, so his bat did cover his defensive deficiencies to the tune of almost 5 runs. In order to do that though he had to hit .316/.362/.429 and lead the league in hits. After the time and injuries his defense is probably even worse and it's a real question if his bat can keep up. Jeter's going to see a lot of time at short, if healthy, but it becomes a question of whether he can produce enough to actually be a better bet than Ryan.

vCash
    What happens if Derek cannot play?

The Yankees defense IMPROVES QUITE A BIT!

vCash
    Unless this is a trick question, the answer is Brendan Ryan.
    <a href=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/29/Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg/240px-Ichiro_Suzuki_on_August_1%2C_2012.jpg target=_blank>http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._1%2C_2012.jpg</a>

BA: .282 HR: ONE! RBI: 20 SB: 12 AGE: 40

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    Well, it wont be Jayson Nix. He signed with the Rays.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    Well, it wont be Jayson Nix. He signed with the Rays.
    :cry:

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Really tho as good as Ryan is defensively if he had to play semi regularly and bat 9th I'd be ok w that
    Yes.

I think Jeter will play and be good. I don't think he will play more than 4 times a week in the field. He will get a day off and DH a couple times.

It's all downhill from here.
    Might as well enjoy the ride.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees 1903 View Post
    Ryan plays and makes Jeter look like he is a 95 year old gimp.
    Unfortunate but true. Ryan is so quick in the field and Jeter's range is greatly decreased, even before the injury
    I suspect if Jeter has a decent season, it will be his last.

It's all downhill from here.
    Might as well enjoy the ride.

vCash
    jeter's leadership is overrated, Ryan can hold SS pretty well, he will be the only black hole in the lineup if all pans out which is ok with me, you dont ned 1 through 9 sluggers, if i gets really bad theres always mid season trades, someone like Zack Cozart intrigues me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast