Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Why wouldn't we bring back Buck?

Last year, toward the end of the year, I posted in a few threads that I thought we should bring back Buck as our #2. People felt that he would be offered a #1 somewhere else, and would go for the playing time and the money.

Well, much like Drew, I feel like he is falling right into our hands, and I feel like I can make a good argument for bringing him back.

-I think we can get him for a 1 year 2 mil, with a team option.
    -We still do not know about TDA's durability and this leaves a tested, reliable catcher as our backup option in case of injury
    -He knows our pitching, and calls a good game
    -He provides power off the bench
    -He's an instant upgrade and worth at least a win or maybe two
    -If TDA is solid next year, he helps take a position that has been a major negative for years for the Mets and turns it into a very solid, plus position

I think he is worth a million and a half over a Recker type player, to turn Catcher into a plus position.

vCash
    Money

vCash
    Buck sucks. Lets move on please.

Recker or Centeno are just fine as the back-up. Recker has a lot of pop while Centeno is more of a contact-hitting defensive catcher.

vCash

$

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna View Post
    Buck sucks. Lets move on please.

Recker or Centeno are just fine as the back-up. Recker has a lot of pop while Centeno is more of a contact-hitting defensive catcher.
    So in the event that tda does not stay healthy for an entire season, which he is yet to prove he can do, which of those choices are you comfortable with making our everyday catcher?

Isn't that question alone worth paying a guy who will probably fall right in our laps? You can say he sucks but he has carried the load as a starter which the other choices have not and can not

vCash
    I wouldn't mind bringing back Buck on a next to nothing deal but let's be frank. He had a monster month of April then had a decent month in July and that was it. His bat was non existent otherwise.

Probably only talking about a one win difference though with him at catcher over Recker or Centeno.

vCash
    Because he sucks.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I wouldn't mind bringing back Buck on a next to nothing deal but let's be frank. He had a monster month of April then had a decent month in July and that was it. His bat was non existent otherwise.

Probably only talking about a one win difference though with him at catcher over Recker or Centeno.
    Look, I am not trying to make him out to be special, and I agree with everything you said. But, I do not think that Recker is capable of a monster week, let alone a monster month, or a decent month like we got in July.

Also, if he is worth one win, maybe two, that is worth the million or so that he would cost over Recker. That's how a team gets better- start picking up an extra win at each position possible. So, if we pick up an extra few wins with a better catching combo, and then maybe upgrade short stop and pick up an extra win or two, those add up to taking a 77 win team and making them a bit better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyJerZ View Post
    Look, I am not trying to make him out to be special, and I agree with everything you said. But, I do not think that Recker is capable of a monster week, let alone a monster month, or a decent month like we got in July.

Also, if he is worth one win, maybe two, that is worth the million or so that he would cost over Recker. That's how a team gets better- start picking up an extra win at each position possible. So, if we pick up an extra few wins with a better catching combo, and then maybe upgrade short stop and pick up an extra win or two, those add up to taking a 77 win team and making them a bit better.
    If Buck is a backup catcher, he is worth 0.4 wins. He is bad defensively, as in he frames pitches like ****. Doesn't block pitches in the dirt, so pitchers were hesitant to bounce one. I could go on, but it would be easier for everyone to say that he isn't a fit.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyJerZ View Post
    So in the event that tda does not stay healthy for an entire season, which he is yet to prove he can do, which of those choices are you comfortable with making our everyday catcher?

Isn't that question alone worth paying a guy who will probably fall right in our laps? You can say he sucks but he has carried the load as a starter which the other choices have not and can not
    If TdA gets hurt, I'm OK with a combination of Recker/Centeno.

Recker: .215/.280/.400
    Buck: .215/.288/.365

Bringing Buck back would be stupid. Like Clay said, he sucks at the little things like framing pitches and blocking them.

vCash
    Buck had one good month and five and a half terrible ones. The Pirates barely used him down the stretch. Recker and Centeno are at least as good defensively. Centeno is probably better. Both are younger and have experience with the Mets' staff. Also, the inexpensive signing of Teagarden is plenty of insurance at catcher. No need to bring Buck back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fan since '62 View Post
    Buck had one good month and five and a half terrible ones. The Pirates barely used him down the stretch. Recker and Centeno are at least as good defensively. Centeno is probably better. Both are younger and have experience with the Mets' staff. Also, the inexpensive signing of Teagarden is plenty of insurance at catcher. No need to bring Buck back.
    Why would I want Buck Naked when we could have Teabagger instead?
    Teabagger for the win.

vCash

Sign Barajas instead.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Why would I want Buck Naked when we could have Teabagger instead?
    Teabagger for the win.
    I was wondering how long it would take for someone to call him that if I didn't do it first.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    I was wondering how long it would take for someone to call him that if I didn't do it first.
    Well Norman, I wanted to give it a day or two.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast