Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lon Babby

vCash

Lon Babby

so it seems he's taking some credit for the recent success of the suns. and yet wasn't he the one that brought in lance blanks, turkylu and beasesley? then ultimately bringing in gortwat in order to get rid of turkey?

wasn't he the one that fired gentry n selected hunter as interim over turner/marjele? then both dudes left?

wasn't babby the one that drafted gani lawal, kendall marshall, kieff?

seems this years success is all mcdonugh so why babby still got a job? to me mcd should be prez/gm

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WES KOAST View Post
    so it seems he's taking some credit for the recent success of the suns. and yet wasn't he the one that brought in lance blanks, turkylu and beasesley? then ultimately bringing in gortwat in order to get rid of turkey?

wasn't he the one that fired gentry n selected hunter as interim over turner/marjele? then both dudes left?

seems this years success is all mcdonugh so why babby still got a job? to me mcd should be prez/gm
    Here we go again with the Negativity....

You do realize that it's the GM that makes most of the transactions....(drafting, signing, trades, etc). Yes Babby has some say in those decisions, but its ultimately the reason GM's are there. THEY are the ones that make those decisions.

You do know Kieff is playing pretty well this year right? And that Gani Lawall was a 2nd round draft pick??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 7secondsORless View Post
    Here we go again with the Negativity....

You do realize that it's the GM that makes most of the transactions....(drafting, signing, trades, etc). Yes Babby has some say in those decisions, but its ultimately the reason GM's are there. THEY are the ones that make those decisions.

You do know Kieff is playing pretty well this year right? And that Gani Lawall was a 2nd round draft pick??
    hey man I aint hating. at least I post new threads to keep things fresh in here. all you guys do is post in threads I create.

you don't like my threads, you start one then, enlighten me

vCash
    he deserves credit for hiring hornacek and mcdonough, thats it as far im concerned.

vCash
    Sigh....

Babby does not draft, trade or sign anyone. He is solely in charge of contracts. He works out the numbers on contracts and tries to get the best possible deal for the Suns through that.

That's why Sarver hired him even though he was an agent and had no experience with any FO stuff. He knows how to negotiate numbers.

Bad things on Babby is probably giving Beasley $6M/yr and hiring Blanks.

Good things on Babby is that he got a great bargain in signing Dragic and extending Dudley on a cap friendly contract (which we were able to use to get Bledsoe) and hiring McDonough.

vCash
    There was a lot of Babby hate the last couple of seasons because he was the 'face' of the management team; he was the guy who spoke to the media because Blanks didn't want to. He got a lot of the crap that should have gone Blanks and Sarvers way. He's not blameless but i think it was just a bad situation. Obviously Sarver realised he's a smart guy and the only guy who did his job properly and I think that's why he's still there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsfan88 View Post
    Sigh....

Babby does not draft, trade or sign anyone. He is solely in charge of contracts. He works out the numbers on contracts and tries to get the best possible deal for the Suns through that.

That's why Sarver hired him even though he was an agent and had no experience with any FO stuff. He knows how to negotiate numbers.

Good things on Babby is that he got a great bargain in signing Dragic and extending Dudley on a cap friendly contract (which we were able to use to get Bledsoe) and hiring McDonough.
    I think Blanks was Sarvers guy and I think Beasley was Blanks guy. Babby was involved in those decisions but I don't think he was spear-heading either of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntey View Post
    I think Blanks was Sarvers guy and I think Beasley was Blanks guy. Babby was involved in those decisions but I don't think he was spear-heading either of them.
    I think Blanks was in charge of signing players. I think Blanks told Babby "Sign Beasley". and then Babby just worked out the numbers for Beasley's contract.

I am 99% sure that Sarver was the one who made the decision to sign Dragic but I think he also told Babby to go work out the numbers on Goran's contract.

vCash
    I think Blanks was in charge of signing players. I think Blanks told Babby "Sign Beasley". and then Babby just worked out the numbers for Beasley's contract.

I am 99% sure that Sarver was the one who made the decision to sign Dragic but I think he also told Babby to go work out the numbers on Goran's contract.
    I am pretty sure you're right about this. He wanted a fan familiar face which is why we went after him instead of Felton who some (including myself) wanted.

vCash
    Is there an article about this? I haven't seen much coming from him in a while.

I thought it was Blanks' call to hire Hunter. That's why we didn't consider Majerle or Turner.

Lawal was like the 57th pick I think. Any team would get a pass on that.
    Marshall is still up in the air. We did need a PG since the front office knew they weren't going to retain Nash. We never developed him and apparently Ish had a better camp than Marshall.
    Also, I still think this was Blanks' call.

As others are stating, he does more of the behind the scenes stuff while McDonough does the things fans only care about.

Regardless, it's working now. GM's and Presidents will make mistakes. Babby made some and Blanks did too. McDonough may have as well with Marshall and Len. No one is perfect. We'll see how this all pans out.

vCash
    Sigh....

dumbest response I have ever read.

everyone in an organization has a function, but ultimately, when decisions are made there is a chain of command: chairman/ceo (sarver) > prez (babby) > gm (blanks). babby n sarver ALWAYS sign off on EVERYTHING.

u prob notice the same thing when u go to work at mickey d's.

mitch kupcake does not hire/fire a coach. he doesn't draft a player. he doesn't trade a player. he does the ground work, day to day stuff while jim buss sits in an office. mitch will make suggestions, recommendations, etc but as gm NO ONE has free reign, there is ALWAYS the prez and owner to ultimately make the final decision

vCash
    also gm's comes up with ideas, concepts, lays out a plan but the owner and prez always has veto power.

kingforaday doesnt wake up one morning and say, let's change the whole philosophy of this forum website and take the source code and make changes. he escalates his thoughts and ideas to wrigleyboy (assuming he's grandmaster), then he takes that idea to the owners/investors of this website. owners will either accept or reject based on many factors including their sponsorship/advertisors, posters, and overall well being of this website.

vCash

everyone in an organization has a function, but ultimately, when decisions are made there is a chain of command: chairman/ceo (sarver) > prez (babby) > gm (blanks). babby n sarver ALWAYS sign off on EVERYTHING.

mitch kupcake does not hire/fire a coach. he doesn't draft a player. he doesn't trade a player. he does the ground work, day to day stuff while jim buss sits in an office. mitch will make suggestions, recommendations, etc but as gm NO ONE has free reign, there is ALWAYS the prez and owner to ultimately make the final decision
    While the president and owner do sign off on every deal, they're not talent evaluators. It's the GMs job to put talent on the floor, it's the presidents and owners job to make sure they are sticking to the rules and not spending more than they can.

I'm sure Babby has had a part in the poor decisions made over the past few years but he has not the driving force behind them. Blanks was the 'cancer' in the front office and he's gone.

vCash

This response makes me wonder how much you really know about the Suns. There is a reason why Babby is the "PRESIDENT OF BASKETBALL OPERATIONS" whose main job is to hire the appropriate staff and scouts to draft players and sign FA. Ryan McDonough is the "GENERAL MANAGER" whose main job is to scout players and potential draftees based on the best talent/fit for the type of style that the coach will run. Does Babby approve signings and other decisions that McD does? Yes, definitely but he hired his TEAM(McD, Horny, etc. . .)
    which is there to relay information about each targeted player. Obviously Blanks was bad at evaluating talent(on all levels) which led to a horrible season but if you've really watched the Suns games this season(ESPN, FXSAZ, NBAtv) everybody has been giving credit to "RYAN MCDONOUGH AND THE REST OF THE FO" not Babby and his crew. Everybody, including Babby himself, has given credit to McD so I don't see where you're getting your idea that Babby has been given all the credit.

I know you want to keep things fresh but please put some though and effort when making pointless threads like this. There's no argument or topic of discussion and you provided zero evidence to back up your claim.
    Last edited by mdm692; 01-09-2014 at 07:02 PM.

vCash
    also gm's comes up with ideas, concepts, lays out a plan but the owner and prez always has veto power.

kingforaday doesnt wake up one morning and say, let's change the whole philosophy of this forum website and take the source code and make changes. he escalates his thoughts and ideas to wrigleyboy (assuming he's grandmaster), then he takes that idea to the owners/investors of this website. owners will either accept or reject based on many factors including their sponsorship/advertisors, posters, and overall well being of this website.
    Let me make it simpler for you. You are a very successful businessman from NY who bought a welding company but that type of work is foreign to you because you work from an office what do you do? Do you hire a plant manager who has experience and let him do his job for some sort of trial period or do you just immediately veto every decision he makes which then leads to 0 trust? Obviously you have to let the man do his job so he can learn how to put the best group of EMPLOYEES(which is what bball players are) on the floor. If the results are negative you cut your losses and try to start again like we did this year. It's all a process and that's how the majority of bball is. Sarver is the owner but he knows 0 about bball. Babby is the PBO so he deals with contracts, finances and all that bs because that his area of expertise. McD is the GM so he deals with evaluation of talent and telling Babby who to target.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast