Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Kawakami: Oakland Raiders Owner Mark Davis makes the right call

Mark Davis is sticking -- and is sort of stuck -- with coach Dennis Allen and GM Reggie McKenzie, at least for one more season, and they're sort of stuck with and sticking with him.

This is prudent. This is reasonable. This is realistic. This also might get more than a little uncomfortable, but that happens, too.

Instead of ditching and running (and absorbing the high price of having to pay off one staff and then hire another), this is sucking it up and playing out the full course of the decisions that were made two years ago, and letting it all ride on the 2014 season.

Oh, and course, this might not work, in precisely the same way that the last two seasons haven't worked out for the Raiders under McKenzie and Allen's tenure.

We'll find out in the coming season, which Davis has essentially set up as an "all-in" moment for his hand-picked GM and his GM's hand-picked coach, who have so far produced back-to-back 4-win seasons.

So Dennis Allen stays, mainly because that's what McKenzie wanted.

That's McKenzie re-betting his tenure on Allen, and Allen wanted to stay because he's still betting that McKenzie can get him a quarterback and all the other players the Raiders need to field a competitive roster.

And Davis is maintaining stability, in some part, because there is no guarantee that a top-line coach would want to come to the Raiders now... with McKenzie a potential lame-duck GM for 2014.

It's impractical to do this in stages; if Davis is going to go with a new management team, he might as well do it all at the same time, and that would be after the 2014 season, unless Allen and McKenzie prove that they're worth a long stay with the Raiders.

What does that mean? Maybe 9-7 or bust, or at least play meaningful games into mid-December. Or there'll be a new management era for the Raiders.

Yep, why not make 2014 a double-lame duck season? This how it's set up now: The GM and the coach who came in together both letting it all ride together on one season, and they show major progress or both are possibly out the door.

Together. Which is the most prudent and patient thing for Mark Davis to bet on for 2014.

They're all still stuck with each other, as they have been for two years.

This is what Davis told me all the way back on Dec. 11, noting that the last two years were the "deconstruction" of the Raiders and that this off-season begins the reconstruction:

"It's an exciting time for us," Davis said. "It's also been a tough time for the fans, it's been a tough time for me, it's been a tough time for everybody.

"But what do they say about patience? If you're committed to something, you have to be patient with it."

Davis let the coach dangle for a week, and maybe is making things a little unstable by refusing to give assistant coaches more than one-year deals, but the end result is that Allen and probably most of his staff stays on for 2014.

Maybe at this moment both sides are a little unhappy with the other, which is normal and understandable.

Nobody should be thrilled with 8 wins in two seasons, nobody should be pleased with the barren roster McKenzie and Allen inherited and nobody should give thumbs up to some of the mistakes subsequently made by the new GM and new coach.

But the only way it can work is if Davis gives McKenzie one more season to reconstruct the Raiders roster and if McKenzie remains confident that Allen can push that roster into anything close to playoff-contention.

It all comes down to one season now. All the chips are on the table in 2014, there's nothing left to bet on, except each other's reputations, and everybody knows it. This ought to be entertaining.

vCash
    As pessimistic as I am about DA being a champion head coach, I think it's the right move bringing him back. His whole team was a project and a gamble. They were lucky to win 4 games. If they fire him, they will be sending a message to all future head coach prospects that Oakland is a risky place to come. Which it is. Which is why we need to create an image of stability at the very least.

vCash
    Kawasaki or Motorola, whatever his name is, he's an idiot. Always taking down on the Raiders. All I had to read was "Raiders make the right call" and follows it with a "sort of stuck with and sticking with him."
    Contradicting the complement!

Moving on...

"I will do anything to win" - Al Davis

vCash
    ya..this guys article basically says good move...cuz you didnt have any other options probably...these articles are pretty lame. If allen gets us to 10-6...we will then see articles calling Mark Davis a genius...i think not...

vCash
    Kawasaki is a wind sock. Had Davis fired DA he would have lauded that as the right move.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tbrown76 View Post
    ya..this guys article basically says good move...cuz you didnt have any other options probably...these articles are pretty lame. If allen gets us to 10-6...we will then see articles calling Mark Davis a genius...i think not...
    Mark Davis is a genius he brought the retro bowl-cut back.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    As much as some of you don't care for this writer or others that don't give "love" to the Raiders, I will always refer to this .....Winning cures everything, if we win they write about us winning and why we're successful, if we lose , well then crap and laughingstock is what you get. I know we as an organization have been the butt of many jokes and for good reason. We "win" and they'll stop!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxfly View Post
    As much as some of you don't care for this writer or others that don't give "love" to the Raiders, I will always refer to this .....Winning cures everything, if we win they write about us winning and why we're successful, if we lose , well then crap and laughingstock is what you get. I know we as an organization have been the butt of many jokes and for good reason. We "win" and they'll stop!
    That is correct.

Nobody laughed at the Raiders from '98 - '02 -- even in '03 and '04, analysts were respectful of the Raider organization. It wasn't until the team fell off during the 2005 season that the team became a 'laughingstock.'

vCash
    Here is why it sucks to me:

Next year he will be lucky to win 5 games. Then we get a new coach (and possibly GM), and start over YET again. I'd rather face the inevitable now, unless they surveyed the landscape and the guy they want isn't out there.

vCash
    Who cares what Kamakazi has to say, or any other writer for that matter? There's one thing that never changes in the NFL, you want respect, go out and earn it. The Raiders need to get this turned around and do what Al always preached: Just Win Baby!

Free agency begins March 11...

vCash
    DA and RM took over a team full of what Oakland had become, no heart no drive and no balls! I wanted to keep Hue Jack but alas we kicked him out! But really we have no QB no true #1 WR a fragile RB do the O stinks we have no defensive stars,, our D stinks they get a 60% pass on talent but that's it HJ had us at 8 wins. They better do good this year with huge cap $$ and the draft or they get what they deserve

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JMClarkent View Post
    Here is why it sucks to me:

Next year he will be lucky to win 5 games. Then we get a new coach (and possibly GM), and start over YET again. I'd rather face the inevitable now, unless they surveyed the landscape and the guy they want isn't out there.
    lol seriously? come on raider nation don't be this dumb you don't just keep firing every couple years coaches left and right. we're smarter than this please.

vCash
    Winning 5 games would be a huge stretch. You're being pretty generous. There are only about 3 that we are going to have any chance at winning.

Ricky Stenhouse, Jr.
    Roush Fenway Racing #17 Ford Fusion

2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Rookie of the Year Winner

vCash
    Boy, we've not even gotten through the divisional playoffs weekend, and the forecasts are "doom and gloom" and "we'll be lucky to win 5 games", and "we'll be lucky to win three games". Come on guys, we haven't even gotten to FA yet, show some restraint, please...
    Boy, this modern day 20th century technology is "golly-gee-willikers"!! Whaaa?

"Why didn't someone tell me this was the 21st century????"

vCash
    First things first: Kawasaki is a *******.
    Secondly: MD did do the right thing those of you preaching doom and gloom already will be pleasantly surprised next season.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast