Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
    6deep is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash

Knicks Exploring JR SMITH Trade Options

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 3m

Story going online now from @IanBegley & I: ESPN sources say Knicks, challenging as it sounds, have begun exploring J.R. Smith trade options

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...rade-scenarios

While they realize it may be difficult to pursue, the New York Knicks have begun to explore the potential trade market for guard J.R. Smith in recent days, ESPN.com has learned.

Sources close to the situation said Wednesday that the organization has become increasingly frustrated with Smith's on and off-court transgressions and increasingly feel that a fresh start might be best for all parties.

Knicks coach Mike Woodson says he'll have a conversation with J.R. Smith about the shooting guard's recent antics.

Smith was fined $50,000 by the NBA on Wednesday for "recurring instances of unsportsmanlike conduct" following his shoelace stunts in the New York Knicks' past two games.

Wednesday's fine didn't necessarily push the Knicks over the top, but one source with knowledge of the Knicks' thinking said the organization has become "fed up" with Smith's erratic behavior.

Knicks coach Mike Woodson hinted at that frustration Wednesday when he called Smith's conduct "unacceptable" in an interview later Wednesday with ESPN New York 98.7 FM's "The Stephen A. Smith and Ryan Ruocco Show."

"I'm not happy about this, because he was warned, he comes back and he makes the same mistake, and it's not right," Woodson said. "It's just got to stop. I keep saying this every time something pops up, but it's got to stop."

The coach later added that Smith has been "unprofessional about how he's approached this whole thing. Something's gotta be done. It has to stop. I'll address it tomorrow when I see him, and then we'll go from there."

Due to the nature of his contract, Smith cannot be traded prior to January 15. The Knicks, furthermore, privately acknowledge that it will be difficult in the current climate to trade Smith, who has two seasons left after this one on a three-year, $18 million contract.

The 28-year-old underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left knee in the offseason. Smith then missed training camp following surgery, with Woodson saying recently that the shooting guard is still dealing with soreness in his knee.

Smith's scoring is down markedly from last season. He is shooting just 32.3 percent from the field and is averaging 11.3 points per game in 29 games. Last season, Smith won the NBA's Sixth Man Award last season after scoring 18.1 points and pulling down 5.3 rebounds per game.

The reality, though, is that Smith's on and off-court transgressions -- combined with his declining production -- figure to complicate any efforts to move him.

In addition to Wednesday's fine, Smith was suspended for the first five games of the regular season without pay for violating the NBA's anti-drug policy in the offseason. And in November, Smith was fined $25,000 for sending what the NBA deemed a "hostile" tweet to Detroit's Brandon Jennings after Jennings questioned the credentials of Smith's brother, Chris, a former Knicks guard.
    Last edited by 6deep; 01-08-2014 at 05:21 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    Did no one see this coming?

vCash
    I don't think it will be all that challenging given the fact that we paid like 2/3 of his entire 3 year salary already. Getting anything useful will be challenging, I think we can find a salary dump though.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation that’s critical. He’s one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.”

vCash
    if true this made my day.

Good point D about us having paid salary upfront, forgot about that.

Salary dump is fine by me...lol.

Send him to GS with one of our PG's, I think they have huge TPE's and could absorb them outright. I don't think it will be that hard to move him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    I don't think it will be all that challenging given the fact that we paid like 2/3 of his entire 3 year salary already. Getting anything useful will be challenging, I think we can find a salary dump though.
    I've looked at all the expiring deals for this and next season. I'm not seeing anything concrete yet.
    This may be harder than I thought.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    if true this made my day.

Good point D about us having paid salary upfront, forgot about that.

Salary dump is fine by me...lol.

Send him to GS with one of our PG's, I think they have huge TPE's and could absorb them outright. I don't think it will be that hard to move him.
    I would love to have nothing but

Felton-Prigs-Murry
    Shump-Hardaway-Murry

In the guard rotation from here on out.

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation that’s critical. He’s one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.”

vCash
    THANK GOD! I try to support all of our guys but JR has continued to prove he's more into causing problems for this team than he is helping. It would be one thing if he was contributing as much as he did last season and just needed to clean up the antics but he's doing nothing that helps us at all

i7 3770k 16gb DDR3 GTX 780

vCash
    Bucks always do dumb things
    Kings always do dumb things

We should call them.

vCash
    Buying him out is easier than trading him at this point. I don't even see a team that would give us back garbage for the headache he brings to the table.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
    ― Albert Einstein
    “I will be the first to admit that I am a pessimist by nature. It is, after all, the wisest way to be. We pessimists have everything to gain, whereas optimists have a fifty-fifty chance of being disappointed.”
    ― Tamar Myers
    “Don't let them drag you down by rumors just go with what you believe in.”
    ― Michael Jordan

6deep is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    Chris Smith's release is probably a precursor to JR being traded.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    Fingers crossed staring at sky screaming PLEASE.PLEASE OH PLEASE !!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HeaTxRipZz View Post
    THANK GOD! I try to support all of our guys but JR has continued to prove he's more into causing problems for this team than he is helping. It would be one thing if he was contributing as much as he did last season and just needed to clean up the antics but he's doing nothing that helps us at all
    Yea I mean you can live with the idiocy when he's producing and were winning. You can live with the slumps when he's being a solid teammate and person. You can't live with both, especially when were losing, double especially when we have a crew full of youngins that need the reps and are out producing him as it is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 6deep View Post
    Chris Smith's release is probably a precursor to JR being traded.
    I think the tweet after Smith was cut was the precursor. It was reported Dolan demanded him to be traded the second he heard about it.

vCash
    MIN needs bench players.

JR for Barea? Or JR for Shevd?

JR & Cole for Perkins?

JR for Sessions?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by playD View Post
    Fingers crossed staring at sky screaming PLEASE.PLEASE OH PLEASE !!!!
    Hey, at least keep the thread PG-13

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast