Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Why does Frank Thomas get a free pass?

We know why they wont vote for Raffy, Sosa, Mac, Bonds or Clemens

They won't vote for Biggio, Bagwell or Piazza based on pure speculation

But across the board Frank Thomas gets a free pass and gets in on the 1st ballot.

In the era of guilt until proven innocent, why does Frank Thomas get in w/o incident?
    The Michigan team bus was stuck outside Notre Dame stadium for hours after somebody painted a 20 yard line in the parking lot

vCash
    no shift in body fame-like bonds,sosa,ect.
    no rumors or stories-like the guys you mentioned
    normalish career arc
    spoke out against steriods in baseball before people were willing to listen/believe it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by abe_froman View Post
    no shift in body fame-like bonds,sosa,ect.
    no rumors or stories-like the guys you mentioned
    normalish career arc
    spoke out against steriods in baseball before people were willing to listen/believe it
    Yep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    We know why they wont vote for Raffy, Sosa, Mac, Bonds or Clemens

They won't vote for Biggio, Bagwell or Piazza based on pure speculation

But across the board Frank Thomas gets a free pass and gets in on the 1st ballot.

In the era of guilt until proven innocent, why does Frank Thomas get in w/o incident?

Watched him play a lot through his career. Here's what I saw...first his body size never, ever changed size from average to huge ala Bonds. Frank, from the moment he sniffed his first big league game to his last, had the same exact body frame/size. Secondly, he didn't have huge jumps in power numbers in, say, any three year stretch. It was a normal climb up, then a slow/steady move back down at the end. Third, no one who has ever played with him has ever insinuated publicly or privately that he used. Fourth, Frank himself was an early advocate for testing players...he wanted everyone to know his numbers were real and he was clean.

These are the biggest reasons why suspicion doesn't fly around Thomas as much as it does other players.

Relating to the HoF vote today...its still a shame that Piazza and Biggio didn't make it. I would think they should get in next year or in two years at the max. People seem to think Pedro and Johnson will make it next year...I wouldn't be so sure.
    Cubs Fan, Always.

vCash

A lot of people don't realize Big Hurt was a TE at Auburn when Bo was there and was always a massive man.

vCash

Also he was speaking out against steroids from his rookie year on.

vCash
    I thought it had a lot to do with the size thing, but there are small guys turning up guilty too and we didn't see A-Rod or Braun bulk up the same way Bonds/Sosa did either. You could even say being big to begin with could help mask that.

I'm not trying to say Thomas was a user, not at all. I just dont get the anecdotal evidence keeping other guys out while giving others a free pass.
    The Michigan team bus was stuck outside Notre Dame stadium for hours after somebody painted a 20 yard line in the parking lot

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I thought it had a lot to do with the size thing, but there are small guys turning up guilty too and we didn't see A-Rod or Braun bulk up the same way Bonds/Sosa did either. You could even say being big to begin with could help mask that.

I'm not trying to say Thomas was a user, not at all. I just dont get the anecdotal evidence keeping other guys out while giving others a free pass.
    you're right,he could have,anyone could have(steroids have been in us sports since the 60's ,so hell micky mantle could have).....but you wanted to know why he(and other hitters) arent just assumed guilty, and we're telling you.the speculation of who was juicing and who isnt is based on 1.bulking up-which doesnt occur with him,with 2.having an abnormal career arc-again ,doesnt happen here,and with 3.others pointing fingers at you saying you juiced-which again,no one has here.so absent those factors,most assume he's innocent(same with maddux and glavine)
    Last edited by abe_froman; 01-08-2014 at 03:39 PM.

vCash
    I've long thought the same about why Frank has always been given a free pass. Doesn't make sense. And no change in his body??????? My ***!!!!!!!!!!! Look at his rookie card compared to late 90's/early and mid 2000's. There's an absolute increase in body size/muscle.

vCash
    The reasons have been outlined pretty well already. Its complete BS that he gets a pass for those reasons, yet a guy like Bagwell with no real credible link to steroids doesn't.

Unless there was definitive proof and a failed drug test, everyone should be fair game for the HOF.

vCash
    you know who else spoke out against steroids??? Rafael!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RowBTrice View Post
    I've long thought the same about why Frank has always been given a free pass. Doesn't make sense. And no change in his body??????? My ***!!!!!!!!!!! Look at his rookie card compared to late 90's/early and mid 2000's. There's an absolute increase in body size/muscle.
    I ran his cards each year through age 35 (with a great HS and college pic of him to start), and he never did have one of those crazy add on tons of weight in one year. I tend to think he did not.

Bagwell gets guff for 4 reasons:

1. He was skinny at age 22 and a good deal bigger at 26 (my guess +27 lbs), but by comparison my D2 1B playing son went from 182 at age 18 to 208 at age 21 w/o any juice (same body fat%), just lots of protein and lifting.

2. He had a shoulder issue that some juicers have.

3. There have been writers tossing his name around in articles, but, that's all undercut by no evidence anywhere.

4. He's not strongly against it in public - unlike FT. Then again Glavine was massively against testing the whole time he was a player rep - does that mean he juiced?
    Last edited by bagwell368; 01-08-2014 at 04:07 PM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Stop pointing to BODY SIZE for ****s sake. It's such an unintelligent argument for people to point to for so many reasons.

I think it's ******** that they pick and choose who to speculate on but I'm glad someone like Frank got in. They can't keep them all out.

If you guys haven't noticed its all completely self serving behavior by the media. Guys like frank Thomas, and a ****ing DH like Ortiz will get in first ballot because they smile, play ball with the media and give them exactly what they want.

If you resist them in anyway from getting the info, stories, etc, that they feel like they DESERVE and these guys OWE them, or slight them in anyway, they burn you. They fill the uneducated masses with stuff that gets eaten up as fact and they bury players that resist.
    Last edited by KingPosey; 01-08-2014 at 04:16 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RowBTrice View Post
    And no change in his body??????? My ***!!!!!!!!!!! Look at his rookie card compared to late 90's/early and mid 2000's. There's an absolute increase in body size/muscle.
    I mean, I guess.

Rookie card
    Throwing out first pitch in 2005 ALDS
    Midswing in 2006
    Getting a hit in spring training in 2007/2008
    2.5 years ago

He got bigger, but it's not like he started out some super tiny guy and became a giant, he just got older and like most older people gained weight. He wasn't like Barry Bonds or Jason Giambi

vCash
    Some people can't distinguish muscle size and fat size. Frank got fat. Also if you are going to make assumptions on everyone, then everyone is guilty by association that includes Maddux, Glavine, Tony Gwynn, Cal Ripken Jr. and anyone else who played during that era.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast