Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Brad Doolittle (ESPN Insider) Ranks the top 10 centers so far this year

It's an insider article, so I cant post all of the bits and pieces, but his rankings are as follows:

1) Anthony Davis
    2) DeMarcus Cousins
    3) Andre Drummond
    4) Dwight Howard
    5) Tim Duncan
    6) Joakim Noah
    7) Al Horford
    8) Brook Lopez
    9) DeAndre Jordan
    10) Marc Gasol

(His next five were Al Jefferson, Anderson Varejao, Roy Hibbert, Nikola Vucevic, and Derrick Favors)

Discuss

vCash
    My problem is classifying who plays what, Are Davis and Favors really centers? What does he classify Bosh? Or is he just saying he is that bad?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    It's an insider article, so I cant post all of the bits and pieces, but his rankings are as follows:

1) Anthony Davis
    2) DeMarcus Cousins
    3) Andre Drummond
    4) Dwight Howard
    5) Tim Duncan
    6) Joakim Noah
    7) Al Horford
    8) Brook Lopez
    9) DeAndre Jordan
    10) Marc Gasol

(His next five were Al Jefferson, Anderson Varejao, Roy Hibbert, Nikola Vucevic, and Derrick Favors)

Discuss
    1) Davis is a Center?
    2) Makes Sense, he should be up around here
    3) He's been dominant, but top 3 center in the NBA already? I think he'll probably be the best one in a couple years, but I have him at 5th or 6th
    4) Surprised he's fallen so low (at least to them)
    5) I think should be higher
    6)Same as Duncan.
    7) About Right
    8) About Right
    9)
    10) Higher! I know the DPOY has been hurt but damn, this seems like a free fall

This seems like one of the articles that might make you want to get a refund for the insider

On Russel Westbrook's Chances at Defensive Player of the Year:

Quote Originally Posted by Money_23 View Post
    I think he has a good case. He's the only guy who can hold Durant to under 30 points a game.

Quote Originally Posted by P&GRealist View Post
    Sometimes, perception isn't reality.

But Tittays are forever.

vCash
    any list that comes out of ESPN "experts" is awful and so it is this

Quote Originally Posted by NYSpirit1 View Post
    The Knicks were never this bad of a team. They always have been a 48-50 win team stuck in what was a 21-40 team's body.

vCash
    Brook 8th? Favors over Pek. Can't get on board with that. Brook was the best C in the East in his time on the floor this season. Also if Davis is being classed as a C is Bosh Corey?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA_Starter View Post
    My problem is classifying who plays what, Are Davis and Favors really centers? What does he classify Bosh? Or is he just saying he is that bad?
    He used 82games minutes log as a basis for assigning position.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Swashcuff View Post
    Brook 8th? Favors over Pek. Can't get on board with that. Brook was the best C in the East in his time on the floor this season. Also if Davis is being classed as a C is Bosh Corey?
    Bosh wasn't included in the article, so I assume not.

This is his explanation for his metric:

1. Players are based on TrueWARP, which is an attempt to measure the current actual value of each player's performance at this point of their career. The "WARP" part of the moniker comes from wins above replacement, while the "True" was added because you have to call it something. Henry Abbott was not consulted during the process of naming this metric, but hopefully he won't mind.

2. TrueWARP is a blend of a player's preseason baseline forecast and his 2013-14 results. The degree to which his season winning percentage has regressed against his forecast depends on his experience. Projections for younger players, especially rookies, have a much higher error bar than those for veteran players. Thus, the younger a player is, the more weight his 2013-14 results carry.

3. WARP is a calculation based on winning percentage, or per-possession efficiency, and playing time. For the playing time component, I've used actual minutes per game for this season to capture the size of role each player is holding down. Each player's TrueWARP is calculated on a per-82-game basis to filter out durability issues. We're strictly looking at a player's quality of on-court performance, not how often he's able to go out and apply it. Obviously in the real world, the durability issues regarding players like Derrick Rose, Kobe Bryant and Brook Lopez have to be carefully considered.

4. Grouping players by position is always an inexact science, but I focused on how players have been deployed this season. The stats website 82games.com uses play-by-play data to track the percentage of time a player is used at each position, and I've used that as the basis for my grouping. Position classification is nebulous, but think of it like this: Players occupy a certain space on the floor, and the space they are assigned is usually determined by the players they share the court with. So Carmelo Anthony may be a natural 3, but the majority of the time the Knicks put him in lineups in which he is a 4.

vCash
    I'm not sure AD is a center. If he is, he's been the best. That's fine.

I'm fine with Cousins at #2, though there's still some stuff he's gotta work on, especially defensively.

I'd still have Dwight at #2 behind AD. Certainly ahead of Drummond. Drummond's defensive impact hasn't been as good as it needs to be, not even close.

I'm a little uncomfortable with Drummond and Cousins being 3 and 2. Drummond's defensive impact hasn't at all been significant enough to justify that, especially considering his limitations offensively. I can't justify putting him above Howard at this point.

DeAndre isn't top-10, at all. Not even close, especially because he's not defending like usual.

Seems overall there's a de-emphasis on defense here. I'd put Hibbert in the top-10, even with his offensive struggles. His defense is just too damn good to ignore. If we're assuming full health, Gasol is way too low too.

So yeah, not in love with this. I do like Doolittle though...but whatever.

Wait, he did this based solely on TrueWARP?

vCash
    bosh was 17th

vCash
    would you be able to pm the rest of the article to me or nah, if nah, its alright

vCash
    Roy Hibbert anyone? How on earth is he not on the list and more importantly, why didn't anyone else say anything about this?!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmsterNat View Post
    How unsurprising. Dude, give up trying to argue with valade. He cut you into little pieces, had you for breakfast, and shat you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Valade you have totally owned this thread. Well done
    My fanbase is growing.

vCash
    Hibbert not being listed is ridiculous, and Pekovic should be on that list.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    Bad list.

vCash
    Pretty woeful list

vCash
    Yes AD is a center, deal with it.

My only gripe with the list is that Hibbert and Pek for some reason are not on here. Noah and Jordan are way too high IMO.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast