Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Can a player have too much influence?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-over-snyder/

So why are the Redskins sensitive about the perception that quarterback Robert Griffin III’s input regarding the coaching hire means he has too much influence over the team? Possibly because perception is reality.

According to Sally Jenkins of the Washington Post, Griffin has “bragged to teammates that he could procure favors from the owner and influence the franchise’s direction.” Jenkins cites unnamed “insiders” in support of the report.

She also writes that Griffin engaged in “fierce finger-pointing tensions with his wide receivers” during the quarterback’s second season.

The disclosures come in a broader column from Jenkins underscoring the importance of the new coach’s relationship with Griffin to the immediate and long-term future of the franchise. Indeed, unless owner Daniel Snyder intends to allow the new coach to pick between Griffin and Kirk Cousins or to look elsewhere for a new quarterback, it’s critical that the new coach be able to establish the right relationship with Griffin.

That makes it even more critical that the Redskins find the right coach — not the guy who says all the right things before he signs his contract but the guy who will embrace Griffin and not try to demonstrate to the quarterback that there’s a new sheriff in town.

Which in turn makes it even more critical that Griffin be involved in the search for a new coach.

It’s fitting that, after a full calendar year in which Griffin had too much influence over the owner on things that don’t matter, the Redskins have opted to slam the door on Griffin’s involvement in picking the eventual yang to his yin. For the sake of Redskins fans everywhere, here’s hoping that the team is simply not telling the truth about Griffin’s input in the decision.

Meanwhile, fans of the Cowboys, Eagles, and Giants hope the Redskins mean what they say.
    So I'm not really that interested in trying to find more articles at the moment on this topic, but when do you consider that a single player has too much influence within a organization?

Where is the line? How do you know? Is it ok to influence over a coach but not a GM or Owner?

As I said in the RGIII to pick his coach thread. Snyder has empowered RGIII too much, and where there is smoke, there is fire.
    #BanMiltstar

vCash
    What a player/ players wants should mean absolutely nothing, their opinion a total non factor. These guys don't know anything about how to run a team or motivate grown men. A lot of them struggle trying to carry on an intelligent conversation. Too young to begin with.

ESPN...so you think you can beat the team record held by Sam Cunningham?
    young stud Pats back...who?

I will add this....asking a team captain (s) about some free agent pickup a little different deal.
    Last edited by CCRider; 01-07-2014 at 07:24 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-over-snyder/

So I'm not really that interested in trying to find more articles at the moment on this topic, but when do you consider that a single player has too much influence within a organization?

Where is the line? How do you know? Is it ok to influence over a coach but not a GM or Owner?

As I said in the RGIII to pick his coach thread. Snyder has empowered RGIII too much, and where there is smoke, there is fire.
    when the value as a player is,outweighed by their influence, but really the question is
    Impossible to answer the question in a vacuum. Should a Pm, Brady or Rodgers have a say? Probably.

Should a Rgiiii. (Yes the lower case is purposeful). Absolutely not.

But Snyder is a douchebag extradonaire, and he and his qb deserve one another

vCash
    When RGIII forcefully has Kirk Cousins traded. That's when you know.

#YOTTO BABY COME BACK!!!!!!! #YOTTO

vCash
    I was gonna say when Snyder is caught blowing RGIII.

But in reality I think it's irresponsible to give anything that a passing suggestion. Like saying 'Hey star QB, any general notions for where to go offensively?'

Then you can get a response like "Yea I wouldn't mind a tall WR", or "RB pass blocking can use some work"

And asking them to meet a potential HC is ok, but only on the 2nd / 3rd interview. Not before they start the process.
    #BanMiltstar

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    When the guy who should be the backup forcefully has the guy who should be the starter traded. That's when you know.
    fify
    How I Feel reading Cliff Stein's Contracts:

vCash
    RG III has always had an ego problem. And Snyder going down on him doesn't help.

The team will be in shambles for the next few years.

vCash
    It all depends on who it is. Peyton Manning shows up and says he needs a different WR because his current one keeps blowing route changes, or says he wants to run the offense he did in Indy rather than the spread option? Sure thing. Lets get him the tools he believes will make him the most successful and comfortable. But that’s the 1% there. I’d do that for him, Brady, and Marino maybe.

Up above I see that these guys don’t motivate men, or know how to run a team. That’s just the opposite when it comes to your QB though. They don’t have to be smart. Marino is not smart outside of football. But they can do more with leadership than any other position. They are the ones making 100% of the changes to the play on the field based on what the D shows. They are the ones in the huddle motivating that team. Not the coach with the clipboard in front of his face calling a play in on the radio. Some may not do it well. 2 years I don’t think tells you either way yet.

But if you invested so heavily in a franchise QB, and saw how dominating he can be when healthy, I’d want his input on what would make him more comfortable in the offense or what he thinks would play to his strengths. I wouldn’t hire a coach solely based on his input, but if he liked a guys scheme and he’s on your board, sure that would be a favorable point. The last thing I would want is a QB/Coach controversy like I had this past year.

As for the alleged favoritism by the owner, yeah, no place for that of course to that extent. I don’t mind if he’s one of a select few players you invite to your Christmas party (if Kraft invites Brady but not Mallett, fine).

vCash
    Head case.

vCash

The more I hear about this guy the more I dislike him. Yuck.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Austeezy View Post

The more I hear about this guy the more I dislike him. Yuck.
    I gotta admit, not following RGIII too closely, when Norm first posted he was an arrogant lil xxxxx I thought it a little harsh... since then he's been proven totally correct. Don't tell Norm I said this

vCash
    You can't have this from your QB i find it disgusting and i was a huge fan of his coming out of Baylor.

9/13/14: #Mayhem (While Pacman fights Algieri in China. lol)
    vCash
    It's RGIII ' S franchise. He does as he pleases.

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/B-Hop/Ward/Rigondeaux/Wlad/Cotto/Froch/Maidana

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

vCash
    Sports journalism is dead.

vCash
    snyder is stupid
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast