Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

What needs to happen to stay in playoff race?

Simple question, answers could be complex though. Some will sound like a broken record but ALL I WANT IS A PLAYOFF SERIES!

-Smoove needs to be moved to starting PF so he is moved inside of the 3 point line. 77% on inside shots last year. We need to get him back where he's comfortable.

-Trade Monroe to a team who really needs him. With Smoove, we have 2 starting quality PFs. I prefer Smoove's defensive ability seeing as Monroe lacks any at all.

-Acquire more athleticism and shooting from another good wing player (trade of Monroe). We need someone to help Jennings, Stuckey, Singler, and KCP. A true SF.

-Beat the bottom feeders..This should be obvious but we falter against teams that should be beaten. We need to establish an identity and play with some attitude. Smoove and Jennings need to play with more emotion.

-Better game planning. No excuse for our blowout loses.

Teams we should worry about, NOT in top 8:
    Boston -- 1 game back from us, tied with Brooklyn in 9th but will see Rondo back soon.
    Brooklyn -- 1 game back from us, veteran leadership, players that can make wins happen
    New York -- 2.5 games back from us, unpredictable team with 54 wins last year
    Cavs -- 3 games back from us, Luol Deng will make them better

NBA'S Next Most Dominant Big Man
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGvryuQDtWA
    FIND ME ON TWITTER @pistons_talk

vCash
    There is no chance in hell that Detroit could swing a deal with NYK for Anthony, right?

Maybe Monroe, Charlie V, and Stuckey for Anthony and Udrih?

Would allow Smith to move to the 4, Anthony would give us a true go-to-scorer, and Udrih would be a solid role player.

Gives NYK 3 expiring contracts.

Jennings
    Caldwell-Pope
    Anthony
    Smith
    Drummond

Love the way that looks.

vCash
    I want to see the team establish an offensive identity, and become more physical on defense. With guys like Drummond, Smith, KCP, etc we have the talent to be a top 10 defense, but it seems like guys are constantly wide open. We're way too slow to rotate, just watch when the opponents swing it around the perimeter, it always ends with someone absolutely all alone for an island jumper.

Wouldn't mind tinkering with more zone. We're a top 10 rebounding team, bottom 10 defensive team. That's weird.

The bottom 3 teams in opponent FG%:

Detroit
    Minny
    Sac

You can't tell me we belong in that category. Time to turn up the defensive intensity, take some damn pride in shutting the opponent down.

vCash
    One thing that really irks me is leaving guys wide open on defense. I get doubling a guy who is driving to make his shot harder... but we are leaving guys open everywhere. Numerous times I've seen a perimeter defender helping on a player who is driving and the driver kicks out to a wide open shooter. I've even see Dre and Moose do that inside where one of them will help against someone in the paint leaving they guy they were guarding wide open in the paint for an easy basket.

Maybe this is just me showing my lack of basketball knowledge...
    Last edited by STATMAN2012; 01-07-2014 at 04:10 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by STATMAN2012 View Post
    One thing that really irks me is leaving guys wide open on defense. I get doubling a guy who is driving to make his shot harder... but we are leaving guys open everywhere. Numerous times I've seen a perimeter defender helping on a player who is driving and the driver kicks out to a wide open shooter. I've even see Dre and Moose do that inside where one of them will help against someone in the paint leaving they guy they were guarding wide open in the paint for an easy basket.

It's mind blowing right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RipCity32 View Post
    It's mind blowing right?
    It is to me... that's why I thought maybe it was just my lack of basketball knowledge showing lol.

vCash
    doubled, delete this
    Last edited by DetroitBadBoy; 01-07-2014 at 06:00 PM. Reason: whoops delete this

vCash
    There is no chance in hell that Detroit could swing a deal with NYK for Anthony, right?

Maybe Monroe, Charlie V, and Stuckey for Anthony and Udrih?

Would allow Smith to move to the 4, Anthony would give us a true go-to-scorer, and Udrih would be a solid role player.

Gives NYK 3 expiring contracts.

Jennings
    Caldwell-Pope
    Anthony
    Smith
    Drummond

Love the way that looks.
    Oh I'm sure they would be looking for draft picks. I'd throw in the 2015 first.

It's the discipline of the player defensively for sure. Our guys need to trust each other in guarding their own man instead of leaving theirs wide for a jumper. It's really annoying and happening way too much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBadBoy View Post
    It's the discipline of the player defensively for sure. Our guys need to trust each other in guarding their own man instead of leaving theirs wide for a jumper. It's really annoying and happening way too much.
    I kinda feel like Cheeks understands the makeup of the roster should be a defense/fast break team, but he has us focusing on help defense & double teams instead of gambling for turnovers to get out and run.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBadBoy View Post
    Oh I'm sure they would be looking for draft picks. I'd throw in the 2015 first.

You're probably right on the pick. I'd throw a 1st rounder for 2015 for Melo. He seems like the kind of guy who would come in and take Detroit from a lower 4 seed to a top 4 seed. One player can have a huge impact and a player like Melo would certainly have that, I feel like. Also getting Smith in to the post more regularly on offense and defense would make him so much better, so it's not even just gaining Melo's production, you're likely to see an increase in Smith's production.

Too bad we don't have our 1st from this year. I'd trade Monroe, Villanueva, Stuckey, and a '14 1st for Melo, a '14 or '15 2nd, and add Hardaway Jr.

On the defense: Exactly what I was thinking. Trust your teammates to do their jobs so that you can do yours.
    Last edited by STATMAN2012; 01-07-2014 at 06:10 PM.

vCash
    We must keep Monroe; he is the last emperor of an old school post and rebound game. Monroe is gona start having a breakout career any moment now, it may take moving a piece or a certain circumstance but its bound to happen. Monroe shoots 50% from the field, combined w Drums 60% will turn this front line into the most feared in nba within a couple seasons. Smith isint a sf and really isint a pf to be completly honest, he's just a glorified Jerome Williams, a tweener (not quite a wing player and not entirely a post mover).

Some GM's love those tween forwards w a lot of athleticism. We can find a taker for Smith while getting something decent in return. I bet you NY would seriously consider a Smith for Melo trade straight up. We should swing a 3 team deal between DET, NY, and BOS

BOS sends: Bogans to DET and Rondo and GWallace to NY Gets: Chandler, Billups, Bynum, CV, Felton
    DET sends: Smith to NY, and Bynum, Villanueva, and Billups to BOS Gets: Melo, Udih and Bogans
    NY sends:Anthony and Udih to DET and Chandler and Felton to BOS [B]Gets:[B] Rondo, Smith, and GWallace.

This clears up BOS jam at SF and actually leaves them w a decent team and CV's expiring. NY ends up with some really good acquisitions. Its leaves all 3 teams in good position. Everyones record would improve even BOS.

That even works on the espn trade machine

NY: gets the better end of the 3team deal. GWallace would hold down the sf spot(although he kinda sucks lately)

DET: takes the biggest risk with the chances of losing Melo and Monroe in FA where as if they keep Smith losing Monroe wouldnt be so detrimental bc Smith would slide to PF, this would leave DET at great risk of losing both our forwards rather than just losing Monroe. Chances are Melo wouldnt re-sign w DET in the off season.

BOS: Wild card of the 3. This team could be good W Chandler, Sullinger, JGreen, ABradley, Felton
    Last edited by DreDrum#1; 01-08-2014 at 05:30 PM.

vCash
    It's not possible

vCash
    Miracle

vCash
    Simple: Trade Monroe for a SG/SF that can consistency score....but you know easier said than done

#HandItOnly2Bell
    SigBet that Suh stays in Detroit
    Quote Originally Posted by lizardking13 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JWO35 View Post
    Sig bet!
    Sig bet!
    I'll step up. I'm pretty sure he's gone too.

vCash
    we need to bring Monroe off the bench (start Singler)

play better perimeter D,

and Stuckey needs to play like he did at the beginning of the season or close to it

Smith and Jennings IQ could use a boost as well