Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Tanaka

vCash

Tanaka

Rumors that the A's are the dark horse in the race for him. What do you guys think?

vCash
    I would be more shocked than when we landed Cespy. I'm not 100% clear on the new rules with signing Japanese players, but wouldn't we have to pay $20M posting fee and sign him to a contract? That just seems like a lot of money for our small budget, but he'd be a great boost for the rotation and allow us to trade someone like Griffin/Milone.

vCash
    AL West Links: Tanaka, A's, Astros, Castro
    By Mark Polishuk [January 6, 2014 at 8:27pm CST]
    Could the Athletics be stealth contenders for Masahiro Tanaka? A Major League executive tells Bill Madden of the New York Daily News to "watch out for Oakland" as a suitor for the Japanese right-hander. "They’ve got as much money as any team and they like doing these big international things — as with their signing of (Yoenis) Cespedes and the fact they were second to the Reds for Aroldis Chapman five years ago," the exec said. Joe Stiglich of CSNBayArea.com explores the possibility of Tanaka joining the A's and thinks the executive might've just been speculating, but while he feels it's unlikely the A's can outbid the field for Tanaka, Stiglich notes the A's have already made some surprising moves this winter "so no sort of Tanaka speculation should come as a complete shocker."

This is the article I read on MLB trade rumors. I would love to take a shot at a player like this. $20 posting fee and contract would be the deal. Experts saying $16-17 mil per season.

vCash
    Yeah, sounds like the guy was just speculating. I don't think we can afford that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stash View Post
    Yeah, sounds like the guy was just speculating. I don't think we can afford that.
    Looks that way. I wonder if there is one more move to come? Would really like an OF/DH but if we could sign a SP and deal for another fly ball hitter that would be awesome. Wonder if they did that A) What pitcher would fit, and B) What Starter could we deal and what return would they fetch?

vCash
    I doubt we do.. especially after the last time we did this whole "bid for a Japanese player" thing.
    49ers, Athletics, Warriors = Life!

49ers = 12-4
    Warriors = 49-31 Making it rain!
    A's = 8-4 Back to Back AL West Champs!
    WINNING!

vCash
    The A's have no chance to get Tanaka. They are cheap. Basically, the entire league fell asleep on Cespedes so they got him for 9 million. The Yankees desperately need Tanaka. They don't care at all about being under 189 million. That whole crap was just a smoke screen. I would assume they would be willing to go 17 million over 7 years for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmac8675 View Post
    I doubt we do.. especially after the last time we did this whole "bid for a Japanese player" thing.
    Who was that? Iwakuma?

vCash
    ^^Yup.... and we all know how that turned out.
    49ers, Athletics, Warriors = Life!

49ers = 12-4
    Warriors = 49-31 Making it rain!
    A's = 8-4 Back to Back AL West Champs!
    WINNING!

vCash
    Like I said.