Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Trading Bayless for Courtney Lee

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
    Trade call on Boston's looming acquisition of Jerryd Bayless for Courtney Lee, I'm told, is being scheduled for Monday. Deal is happening

Courtney had better bring his A game if we had to give up JB
    Not very pleased with this !!!!!!
    "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you might find, you get what you need"

HERE'S TO THE 2014-2015 SEASON !! GO GRIZZ !!!

vCash

The Boston Celtics have reached an agreement with the Memphis Grizzlies to trade for veteran guard Jerryd Bayless, according to sources close to the process.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Celtics, after pursuing him in previous seasons as well, are on the verge of acquiring Bayless for shooting guard Courtney Lee. A trade call with the league office, sources said, has been scheduled for Monday.

The Grizzlies, with nearly $7.5 million left of a trade exception they created in January 2013 by dealing Rudy Gay to Toronto, can use that exception to absorb Lee's contract, which runs for two more seasons at slightly more than $11 million after this season.

And Memphis is indeed said to be willing to take on the additional longterm salary left on Lee's contract in hopes that Lee could bring much-needed perimeter shooting to the Memphis offense. The Grizzlies are essentially relying on Mike Conley and Mike Miller for their 3-point threat in the wake of losing Quincy Pondexter for the season to a foot injury.

The Celtics have been trying to shed Lee's contract, despite the 28-year-old's 49.2 percent shooting from the floor this season and 44.2 percent shooting from 3-point range. So they've spent the weekend trying to complete this swap for Bayless, whose production is down under new Grizzlies coach Dave Joerger while making $3.1 million in the final year of his contract.

It's believed that Lee will be pulled from Boston's lineup before Sunday night's game in Oklahoma City in advance of the trade being completed.

The Grizzlies pulled off another move Sunday, waiving guard Seth Curry, brother of Golden State Warriors star Steph Curry, according to sources with knowledge of the move.

The younger Curry, who made his NBA debut Sunday afternoon in Memphis' win at Detroit, would have seen his minimum contract guaranteed for the rest of the season had he made it with the Grizzlies beyond Tuesday.

But Memphis opted to release Curry before the guarantee date. The four minutes he logged against the Pistons marked the only game action Curry got after signing with the Grizzlies out of the D-League on Christmas Eve.

However, sources told ESPN.com that there's a strong chance that the Grizzlies will try to re-sign Curry to a 10-day later this week if he clears waivers. Teams can start handing out 10-day contracts Monday; Memphis can sign Curry to two 10-day deals before it would have to decide whether or not to sign him for the rest of the season or let him go.

Grizz: Titans: UK BBall: APSU BBall:
    - MJ-BULLS

vCash

I understand the move because Bayless was as good as gone after this season. Lee is a proven shooter and that will help. My concerns are:

1) by trading Bayless and releasing curry, dies that leave calathes as the primary backup pg?

2) can lee play pg?

3) I wonder if it hurts are playmaking ability on the perimeter

- MJ-BULLS

vCash
    Bingo. We still don't have a serviceable PG
    "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you might find, you get what you need"

vCash

Could this be a setup move for another trade to bring in a backup pg?

- MJ-BULLS

vCash
    Yes, they are up to something. Those evil geniuses that have dismantled one of the most feared teams in the NBA ONLY HAD TO ADD A 3 POINT SHOOTER to the existing team. #$%^&*(*&^%$#$%^&*(*&^%$#@

vCash
    And I bet you $$$$$$$ TA has more of a bruised ego than bruised hand with the article in the paper today about Tay and him.

vCash
    [QUOTE=mzgrizz;27743147]And I bet you $$$$$$$ TA has more of a bruised ego than bruised hand with the article in the paper today about Tay and him.

[/http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2014/jan/04/grizzlies-tayshaun-prince-understands-shift-in/

vCash
    I'm thinking Lee sounds like a version 2 OJ Mayo. His numbers look pretty good, but with~ 1 assist/1 TO/1reb per game and 7-9 points per game average; didn't we just take a step back in time? How well did that work for us, Grizz FO??

vCash

If you compare players on NBA.com the numbers are comparable except lee shoots better % and less mins.

Of course ball handling is the primary concern, either calathes magically becomes better or another move is coming

- MJ-BULLS

vCash

Here's a Celtics fan perspective of lee that I got from their forum:

- good on ball defense, average team defense

- good spot up shooter, even better of one dribble, especially from the corner/baseline

- no playmaker at all

- can penetrade a little and finish at the rim

- not very good in pressure situation ( late clock etc)

- MJ-BULLS

vCash
    And we did this? I saw where Levien had been his agent, so I guess it's all ANALYSIS, right?

vCash

Could be. I always have optimistic views until proven otherwise. So far looking at what they have done, they have:

Traded gay for Davis and prince

Traded Arthur for koufas

Drafted franklin

Resigned leuer to 3 yr deal

Resigned tony to long term deal

Signed mike miller

Traded wroten for nothing

Traded for calathes

Signed James Johnson

Signed & released Seth curry

Traded Bayless for lee

I'd say it's a mixed bag. Some good things, some bad

- MJ-BULLS

vCash
    Well, Courtney Lee could be their best effort yet

vCash
    hey mzgrizz, just saw your post in the Clipper forum. I almost never even look there anymore LOL. It's funny how dead that forum is. I'm not TOO worried about CP3. As long as he comes back 100% we should be OK. There is a chance he won't be the same when he comes back but I'm hoping for the best. Sorry to see the state your team is in. I do like this trade for you guys a bit but it doesn't seem like the team made the right moves. Even the Rudy Gay trade looks pretty bad right now. The team is pretty banged up right now and I'm hoping you guys turn it around. Just don't want to see us play in the 1st round again for sure!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast