Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

2014 Canadian Men's Oympic Hockey discussion thread

The team will be picked and announced at 10 am et on Tuesday the 7th. Sportsnet will be on the air for 2 hours covering the announcement and analyzing the team. I'd assume TSN will too, we can probably take that to the bank. It's going to be an interesting team and make for interesting discussion. There's always a monster fuss kicked up in this country over who's left off.

So project your line up if you want and/or discuss who should be left on, left off, who may be a surprise pick ect. I'll do up my projected team after I eat supper. Tummy's rumblin'.

vCash
    and I spelled Olympic wrong.. lol anyone know how to fix that?

vCash
    I'll throw down my line up now. Here's a link to the group that were invited to the orientation camp this summer..

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/feature/?id=1131

Obviously guys that weren't invited can still be added to the team.

Forwards

Martin St. Louis - Sidney Crosby - Steven Stamkos

Matt Duchene - Jonathan Towes - Claude Giroux

Jamie Benn- Ryan Getzlaf - Corey Perry

Logan Couture - John Tavares - Patrick Sharp

Taylor Hall - Patrice Bergeron

Defence

Duncan Keith - Shea Weber

Jay Bouwmeester - Alex Pietrangelo

Marc-Edouard Vlasic - Drew Doughty

Dan Boyle - PK Subban

Goaltenders

Roberto Luongo
    Carey Price
    Mike Smith

These aren't my line combos or anything, just who I think will make the team. For example it looks like I have Patrice Bergeron down as an extra forward but we all know he'll be taking the majority of important draws, running our PK ect. He'll be one of the most used forwards on the team obviously. Critique away.

vCash

2014 Canadian Men's Oympic Hockey discussion thread

Is stamkos actually going to be able to play?

vCash
    They're under the assumption. He'll be named and if he can't go they'll replace him.

vCash

vCash
    They really need 2 hours to discuss the roster? the sports media in this country is insane, especially with hockey.

vCash
    My team before it comes out for what it's worth.

Martin St. Louis - Sidney Crosby - Stephen Stamkos

Patrick Sharp- Jonathan Towes - John Taveres

Corey Perry- Ryan Getzlaf - Jeff Carter

Matt Duchene- Claude Giroux- Rick Nash

Patrice Bergeron - Jamie Benn

Defence

Duncan Keith - Shea Weber

Jay Bouwmeester - Drew Doughty

Marc-Edouard Vlasic - Alex Pietrangelo

PK Subban - Brent Seabrook

Goaltenders

Roberto Luongo
    Carey Price
    Mike Smith
    Last edited by bsi; 01-07-2014 at 10:48 AM.

vCash
    Should be interesting to see this team. It blows my mind that a guy like Thornton isn't even in the discussion for most people/analysts. This is going to be one hell of a team.

In terms of who I think from the Blackhawks makes it...Toews, Sharp, and Keith. I have Seabrook and Crawford (was invited to camp) on the outside looking in. If Seabrook gets in, I think a lot of it has to do with Keith - even though Seabrook is worthy of consideration on his own.

Also, should be interesting if Babcock sticks to his guns and takes 4L shooting D and 4R shooting D.

vCash
    Guys like Stamkos, Luongo, and any other injured locks will be named to the team. Today is not an official announcing of the team, but just the team that Yzerman and his staff would take to Sochi if the Olympics were tomorrow and everyone was healthy. I'll do a projected lineup for today's selection based on that.

Forwards:

St. Louis - Crosby - Stamkos
    Sharp - Toews - Giroux
    Duchene - Getzlaf - Perry
    Couture - Bergeron - Tavares
    Extras: Neal - Jamie Benn

Defensemen:
    Keith - Doughty
    Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo
    Subban - Weber
    Extras: Vlasic - Boyle

Goalies:
    Price - Luongo - Bernier

I agree a lot with what TSN did with theirs. Kunitz relies solely on Crosby to be effective most of the time, and that's a risky pick moving forward. Also, with what St. Louis has done with the Lightning since Stamkos went out it is incredibly hard to leave him off the team right now.

In my opinion, Giroux has become a lock for this team. I say that as unbiased as I can, but he has seriously elevated his play since his horrid start to the season. He's almost back to a PPG pace putting up a ton of multi-point games and has been leading with ferocity.

To win the Olympics you can't just go out and score 6 goals a game. Every team has firepower. You really need forwards who are defensively sound, and Bergeron is it. Key face-offs, penalty killing, shutting down top lines...that's what he does. He deserves to go to Sochi.

Neal as an extra will get some criticism, but he has put up staggering point totals since coming back from injury. I think a lot of that does have to do with the fact that he plays with Evgeni Malkin, so it's the only reason he's not a lock for a roster spot. That and team Canada just has so much flipping talent. I think this year they'll be all about balance, and every line has the potential to be a scoring threat, but is also responsible defensively.

The defense is honestly pretty easy to pick at this point. Subban being the exception. He's a risky pick because of the risk to his game, and could easily sub out for Boyle or Vlasic.

This is an interesting year. You have guys like St. Louis, Nash, Boyle, Seabrook, Staal, Giordano...This could very well be their last shot at taking home another gold. Four years is a lot of separation, especially in hockey years, and is it better to let the vets have their last shot? Or do you let the young guys step in and gain the experience they'll need in four years?

G H O S T B E A R

vCash
    What time are they going to announce this team? I've been checking in for the last hr

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom! View Post
    Should be interesting to see this team. It blows my mind that a guy like Thornton isn't even in the discussion for most people/analysts. This is going to be one hell of a team.

In terms of who I think from the Blackhawks makes it...Toews, Sharp, and Keith. I have Seabrook and Crawford (was invited to camp) on the outside looking in. If Seabrook gets in, I think a lot of it has to do with Keith - even though Seabrook is worthy of consideration on his own.

Also, should be interesting if Babcock sticks to his guns and takes 4L shooting D and 4R shooting D.
    IMO those three are a lock from the Blackhawks. Toews and Keith speak for themselves. Sharp has elevated his play unbelievably this year. Feel free to trade him back to us..

I think Thornton is left out because there is already an abundance of playmaking ability, but the rest of that playmaking ability has speed and quickness that Jumbo Joe doesn't have. It will be incredible to see Joe using his hands and passes on the bigger ice surface, but it could also end up very bad going the other way. There is a lot more room to break out and it takes a lot of speed to cover that extra space. That's the only reason I don't see him cracking the lineup.

G H O S T B E A R

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny_Powers View Post
    What time are they going to announce this team? I've been checking in for the last hr
    In 6 minutes at 11am EST.

G H O S T B E A R

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuys89 View Post
    Guys like Stamkos, Luongo, and any other injured locks will be named to the team. Today is not an official announcing of the team, but just the team that Yzerman and his staff would take to Sochi if the Olympics were tomorrow and everyone was healthy. I'll do a projected lineup for today's selection based on that.

Forwards:

St. Louis - Crosby - Stamkos
    Sharp - Toews - Giroux
    Duchene - Getzlaf - Perry
    Couture - Bergeron - Tavares
    Extras: Neal - Jamie Benn

Defensemen:
    Keith - Doughty
    Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo
    Subban - Weber
    Extras: Vlasic - Boyle

Goalies:
    Price - Luongo - Bernier

I agree a lot with what TSN did with theirs. Kunitz relies solely on Crosby to be effective most of the time, and that's a risky pick moving forward. Also, with what St. Louis has done with the Lightning since Stamkos went out it is incredibly hard to leave him off the team right now.

In my opinion, Giroux has become a lock for this team. I say that as unbiased as I can, but he has seriously elevated his play since his horrid start to the season. He's almost back to a PPG pace putting up a ton of multi-point games and has been leading with ferocity.

To win the Olympics you can't just go out and score 6 goals a game. Every team has firepower. You really need forwards who are defensively sound, and Bergeron is it. Key face-offs, penalty killing, shutting down top lines...that's what he does. He deserves to go to Sochi.

Neal as an extra will get some criticism, but he has put up staggering point totals since coming back from injury. I think a lot of that does have to do with the fact that he plays with Evgeni Malkin, so it's the only reason he's not a lock for a roster spot. That and team Canada just has so much flipping talent. I think this year they'll be all about balance, and every line has the potential to be a scoring threat, but is also responsible defensively.

The defense is honestly pretty easy to pick at this point. Subban being the exception. He's a risky pick because of the risk to his game, and could easily sub out for Boyle or Vlasic.

This is an interesting year. You have guys like St. Louis, Nash, Boyle, Seabrook, Staal, Giordano...This could very well be their last shot at taking home another gold. Four years is a lot of separation, especially in hockey years, and is it better to let the vets have their last shot? Or do you let the young guys step in and gain the experience they'll need in four years?
    I really hope they don't leave someone like Giroux off the team, he had a slow start but he is one of the best in Canada.

vCash
    KRIPES....get a guy that can speak English on the stage, if you need to have someone speak french, then get this guy, but have an decent speaking English speaker too, this is painful.
    Last edited by bsi; 01-07-2014 at 11:14 AM.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast