Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Washington Post: Rangersí Chris Kreider is top rookie in first half of NHL season

Rangersí Chris Kreider is top rookie in first half of NHL season

By Neil Greenberg

One of the toughest awards to handicap this season is the Calder Memorial Trophy, awarded to the leagueís top rookie. Blue-liners Seth Jones (Nashville) and Torey Krug (Boston), goaltenders Martin Jones (Los Angeles) and Cam Talbot (New York Rangers) and forwards Valeri Nichushkin (Dallas) and Nathan MacKinnon (Colorado) are all compelling cases. But the most deserving at the halfway point of the season is the Rangersí Chris Kreider.

The Boston College standout made an impressive NHL debut during the 2012 playoffs, scoring seven points in 18 games before the Rangers succumbed to the New Jersey Devils in the Eastern Conference finals. The following regular season, his first in the NHL, was a bit of a disappointment as he split time between Broadway and the AHL and scored just three points in 23 games with New York. This season he appears to be realizing his potential.

Kreider has 22 points in 35 games, third among rookies. But even more impressive is that 17 of those points have been either goals or primary assists. His physical play has him credited for 90 hits, 38 more than the other team dishes out when he is on the ice.

However, most of the power forwardís contributions donít even show up on the scoresheet. Ignoring special teams and lead-protecting situations, the Rangers have outshot opponents 250 to 192 (56.6 percent) when Kreider skates. Those same linemates in the same situations take just 47.6 percent of the shot attempts without Kreider, indicating a massive tilting of the ice. And it isnít coming against soft competition. Here are the shifts (courtesy of ShiftChart.com) from the Dec. 18 matchup against Pittsburgh. Notice how Rangers Coach Alain Vigneault used Kreider against Sidney Crosbyís line, especially during the first period:

Itís been that way for Kreider the entire season. In fact, the 10 opponents he has faced most often based on even-strength ice time include not only Crosby line but Jaromir Jagrís and Alex Ovechkinís as well ó and none of those have scored a goal against him at even strength.

To recap: Scoring? Check. Driving puck possession? Check. Playing against top competition? Check. Rookie of the year front-runner? Check.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...of-nhl-season/

I liked that he stood up to Phaneuf ladt night.

I was watching the CBC feed some last night and they were mentioning how fast Kreider was. They had recorded speed on him from his blue line to the net at something like 22 mph on 2 of his breakaways. As good as MacKinnon has been and with Hertl now hurt, CK should be the favorite imo.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-05-2014 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I was watching the CBC feed some last night and they were mentioning how fast Kreider was. They had recorded speed on him from his blue line to the net at something like 22 mph on 2 of his breakaways. As good as MacKinnon has been and with Hertl now hurt, CK should still be the favorite imo.
    I wonder if that feed was the one I was watching. They also showed Chris's speed on the screen but they said 34 kilometers per hour.

I'd love to see him win it but Seth Jones has been very good too, as well as MacKinnon. MacKinnon might be even more impressive considering he's been mostly used on the 3rd line, but Kreider has really improved this year. His speed is second to none, and the bounce play off the boards is something that they should be using more with him and Hagelin.

Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    I'd love to see him win it but Seth Jones has been very good too, as well as MacKinnon. MacKinnon might be even more impressive considering he's been mostly used on the 3rd line, but Kreider has really improved this year. His speed is second to none, and the bounce play off the boards is something that they should be using more with him and Hagelin.
    Rumor has it that Hags beat Kreider in a training camp race but it was not an official race.

Quote Originally Posted by SLY WILLIAMS View Post
    Rumor has it that Hags beat Kreider in a training camp race but it was not an official race.
    Ya, probably true but in game speed is different, Hags has to let up sometimes when someone gets in his way, he likes to chip it around them and start skating again, but Kreider continues to churn away and pick up speed. It's basically the size difference but Hagelins speed is primarily used when he doesn't have the puck, Kreiders is used with or without it.

Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    Ya, probably true but in game speed is different, Hags has to let up sometimes when someone gets in his way, he likes to chip it around them and start skating again, but Kreider continues to churn away and pick up speed. It's basically the size difference but Hagelins speed is primarily used when he doesn't have the puck, Kreiders is used with or without it.
    Between Kreider, Hags, McD, and Moore we have some of the best skaters in the league. I like seeing that.

Between Kreider, Hags, McD, and Moore we have some of the best skaters in the league. I like seeing that.

+ Brassard IMO yet i have no idea whatbis between his ears.

Especially Hags and Kreider. Those guys absolutely fly.

Glad to see Kreider getting that respect. He really is turning into quite the player. I also loved seeing him "fight" Celine Dion last night. If you're that big and you're throwing the body around, you're gonna have to fight every once in a while.

CK has been an entirely different player this year. He looks really confident that he belongs, he looks stronger, faster, and he's playing much more aggressively. Doesn't seem to be worried that he could be benched for a mistake or a bad penalty either.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-06-2014 at 02:46 AM.

I wonder if that feed was the one I was watching. They also showed Chris's speed on the screen but they said 34 kilometers per hour.
    Yeah I think it was. I have the Gamecenter package to go with MSG and sometimes I like to switch off to other announcers. It's hard for me to do it though because it's not quite the same without Sam and Joe. Unless they are playing the Islanders because I like Howie as he does the Mets radio broadcasts .

The only feed I refuse to switch on is when they play the Devils with Cangialosi and Resch. I don't mind Resch but Cangialosi is a different story.

But yeah Kreider just flies obviously. I hope he is in the Fastest Skater and Breakaway competition this year just to show the national audience his speed.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-06-2014 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Yeah I think it was. I have the Gamecenter package to go with MSG and sometimes I like to switch off to other announcers. It's hard for me to do it though because it's not quite the same without Sam and Joe. Unless they are playing the Islanders because I like Howie as he does the Mets radio broadcasts .

The only feed I refuse to switch on is when they play the Devils with Cangialosi and Resch. I don't mind Resch but Cangialosi is a different story.

But yeah Kreider just flies obviously. I hope he is in the Fastest Skater and Breakaway competition this year just to show the national audience his speed.
    I live out of the area. Who are the Ranger announcers now?

Thanks in advance.

Washington Post: Rangers’ Chris Kreider is top rookie in first half of NHL season

Sam Rosen and joe micheletti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast