Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Game 33 (1-4-14): Sixers (11-21) @ Blazers (26-7)

@

Philadelphia 76ers - Portland Trail Blazers

Date: January 4th, 2014
    Time: 10:00 PM EST
    Broadcast: CSN (TV), 97.5 FM (Radio)

Points per Game Assists per Game Rebounds per Game
    Sixers Turner 19.6 MCW 7.3 Hawes 8.8
    Blazers Aldridge 23.2 Lillard 6.0 Aldridge 11.0

The Portland Trail Blazers returned to the top of the Western Conference behind one of the best long-range shooting performances in franchise history.

Based on their last meeting, the Trail Blazers might be able to stay hot from the perimeter as they seek a fourth straight home win over the surging Philadelphia 76ers on Saturday night.

Portland (26-7) made its first seven attempts from beyond the arc and matched a team record with 21 made 3-pointers in a 134-104 victory over visiting Charlotte on Thursday.

Wesley Matthews led the way with 25 points and went 5 of 6 from 3-point range as the Blazers came within two 3s of tying the NBA single-game record. They became the first team in league history to have two games with at least 20 3s in a season.

"I knew about our record, I knew about the NBA record. But I didn't want to get caught up in that," coach Terry Stotts said after sitting his starters early in the fourth quarter.

Damian Lillard had 24 points and made all six of his 3-point tries, while Mo Williams scored 15 with three 3s.

Lillard (108) and Matthews (90) rank among league leaders in made 3-pointers for the Blazers, who top the NBA with 349 3s and a 40.5 3-point percentage. Lillard has gone 40 for 72 from beyond the arc in his last eight games.

After suffering its first back-to-back losses, Portland rebounded with a 98-94 come-from-behind win at Oklahoma City on Tuesday before topping the Bobcats to move back into the West's top spot.

The Blazers have made at least eight 3s in eight straight games, a franchise mark they'll try to extend against the visiting 76ers (11-21). Portland set the single-game team record for made 3-pointers when it shot 21 for 37 from beyond the arc in a 139-105 win in Philadelphia on Dec. 14.

Lillard, Matthews and Williams combined to go 11 for 21 from 3-point range in helping the Blazers to their highest point total in 16 years. LaMarcus Aldridge added 16 rebounds.

That was part of a four-game stretch in which the 76ers gave up 67 3-pointers on 51.5 percent shooting from behind the arc. They've tightened it up since then, allowing 40 and a 28.0 3-point percentage in their last five.

Following a 13-game road losing streak, Philadelphia will try for its fourth straight win away from home in the finale of this six-game trip. Thaddeus Young finished with 28 points while Evan Turner had 24 as the 76ers pulled out a 113-104 victory over Sacramento on Thursday.

Young has averaged 26.0 points, 9.2 rebounds and 3.0 steals while hitting 10 of 22 from 3-point range on the trip. He's shot 61.5 percent from the field in his last three meetings with the Blazers.

"Thaddeus is playing with a high level of confidence, supported by his skill set," coach Brett Brown said. "He's playing with both energy and explosiveness."

Turner has scored 23.0 per game in his last three since missing a Dec. 28 loss in Phoenix due to soreness in his right knee. However, he's averaged 4.3 points and 27.9 percent shooting in six games against the Blazers.

Portland, 12-1 against Eastern Conference teams, has won four of five meetings with Philadelphia.
    Injury Report:

Philadelphia:
    Arnett Moultrie, F: Out (ankle)
    Jason Richardson, G: Out (knee)
    Nerlens Noel, C: Out (knee)

Portland:
    No significant injuries

GO EAGLES!
    Last edited by sixer04fan; 01-04-2014 at 04:05 PM.

vCash
    LA is going to eat Thad and **** out 40 points.
    Warning, my sig is NSFW. But hot damn is it hot:

Click here to see how awesome.

vCash
    Does anyone in Philly know there is a basketball game tonight? My guess is no.

vCash
    I quick turn over and were up 34-23. WTF?!?

vCash
    W

2012 allstar

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    LA is going to eat Thad and **** out 40 points.

Really ?...well I'm waiting!!

vCash
    Thad continues to prove he is underrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Hinkie
    "I'm probably pretty boring to watch a game with because I''m all about expected values. I don''t even care if it goes in or not, I'm all about, '‘Should it go in?'' I can live with randomness. I mean, if it''s a close game in the end, yeah, I''m just like anyone else. But I just want us to play the odds all the time."
    TerminH1NK13

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge View Post
    Thad continues to prove he is underrated.
    I honestly expected him to struggle last night. Guys like Lamarcus Aldridge usually have stellar games.

Then again letting a guy get 29 points, 14 rebs, and 5 blocks means you did something wrong.

Not to knock Thad, just saying as good as he was offensively, he had some problems defensively.

vCash
    Thad is not underrated.... He's exactly rated. He's putting up incredible numbers over a the past month, but its not like he's gonna be doing this the rest of his career, he's never gonna be worthy of an all star nod or anything like that.

Underrated players tend to become overrated very quickly, and because only big time thad fans (and no one else) have been calling him underrated, that tends to make me believe he is exactly rated where he should be.

However, I think he's gonna be moved since his trade value should be a bit higher than it was a month ago.

The biggest (and probably only) issue I have with thad is his defense against the LAs of the league. He can't guard them and in the playoffs he has, and will continue to, get demolished by those players.

Alsp, a player like thad is much easier to defend in the playoffs because u know where he's gonna be. A lot of people say that he does what he does without plays being called for him, but that's because he's ONLY an off the ball scorer, he doesn't create plays with the ball, that's not an insult to thad, he's very good at what he does offensively, but he's less effective in the playoffs.
    Last edited by BChydro86; 01-05-2014 at 10:39 AM.

gotta pay the troll toll

vCash
    In Thad's defense, instance by Brett Brown to let it fly has lead to more spot up shooting. And this helped him scoring a big more.

The reason why he isn't an impact come playoff time is because he's a face up PF, and in the playoffs a PF needs to face up and back the post.

vCash
    I honestly expected him to struggle last night. Guys like Lamarcus Aldridge usually have stellar games.

Then again letting a guy get 29 points, 14 rebs, and 5 blocks means you did something wrong.

Not to knock Thad, just saying as good as he was offensively, he had some problems defensively.
    Aldridge took 30 shots to score 29 points, you think that is a good game for him?

Meanwhile Thad put up 29 on 14-20 shooting. He is never going to be a star player, but he outproduces a lot of overrated big men.
    "I'm probably pretty boring to watch a game with because I''m all about expected values. I don''t even care if it goes in or not, I'm all about, '‘Should it go in?'' I can live with randomness. I mean, if it''s a close game in the end, yeah, I''m just like anyone else. But I just want us to play the odds all the time."
    TerminH1NK13

vCash
    Are you calling the NBA MVP to this point overrated?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BChydro86 View Post
    Thad is not underrated.... He's exactly rated. He's putting up incredible numbers over a the past month, but its not like he's gonna be doing this the rest of his career, he's never gonna be worthy of an all star nod or anything like that.

Underrated players tend to become overrated very quickly, and because only big time thad fans (and no one else) have been calling him underrated, that tends to make me believe he is exactly rated where he should be.

However, I think he's gonna be moved since his trade value should be a bit higher than it was a month ago.

The biggest (and probably only) issue I have with thad is his defense against the LAs of the league. He can't guard them and in the playoffs he has, and will continue to, get demolished by those players.

Alsp, a player like thad is much easier to defend in the playoffs because u know where he's gonna be. A lot of people say that he does what he does without plays being called for him, but that's because he's ONLY an off the ball scorer, he doesn't create plays with the ball, that's not an insult to thad, he's very good at what he does offensively, but he's less effective in the playoffs.
    Look at the 76ers roster the last 5 years and tell me who has shown the ability to create offensive mismatches in the playoffs? We haven't had a guy like that since AI, so your criticism of Thad, rings true to everyone.

Thad game is so much harder to defender with the addition of a 3pt shot because bigs have to step out of their comfort zone (verses the DC offense where mid-range shots were encourages and bigs were able to guard less space with Thad.)

Is he a superstar or a star? No, but he produces at a highly efficient level every year.
    TerminH1NK13

vCash
    Are you calling the NBA MVP to this point overrated?
    Still doesn't answer the question - is 30 shots to score 29 points good?

And if you think he is the MVP, then yes I consider him overrated. I don't even see him as a legit candidate. The arrival and continued improvement of Damian Lillard is why the blazers have improved this year. He is their best player.
    TerminH1NK13

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Knowledge View Post
    Still doesn't answer the question - is 30 shots to score 29 points good?

And if you think he is the MVP, then yes I consider him overrated. I don't even see him as a legit candidate. The arrival and continued improvement of Damian Lillard is why the blazers have improved this year. He is their best player.
    Lamarcus Aldgridge's play is why the Blazers are one of the best in the NBA to this point. He's right up there with Paul George and Lebron James in importance. If he isn't playing the Blazers are a bottom 3 team.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast