Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Can anyone tell me what the plan is?

As I watch this franchise swirling the toilet, Iím just wondering what the heck is going on. I still donít get the Kobe contract. Why are we paying him 24 mil a year, if he wants another ring? Did Kobe change his mind and simply give up on the pursuit of a 6th ring? Either way, we could have amnestied him last year, and have solved our luxury tax issue. Yes I know hindsight is 20/20, but just sayin..

But more importantly, Iím watching a franchise with a ďsmall ballĒ coach who is never going to win with his style, and who is too stupid/stubborn to change. Iím watching a Napolean-complex owner who just let Dwight Howard walk out the door and got ZERO in return. I was told we were allegedly freeing up space for some big free-agency window, yet we just handed an aging/injured Kobe 24 mil, and come to find out, there really isnít any legit shot at any free-agent who will make us a contender?

Now I apologize for ranting a bit, but I donít normally clutter up this forum very much with rants; However Iím an oldschool fan, and Iím saying enough is enough. We literally need to all join together and light torches and demand little Jimmy get the heck out. Otherwise, this franchise is headed for a very long, painful, and image-damaging road ahead.
    While everyone drools over Lebron, and ponders about who is the greatest ever, how about you come with a performance like this, when playing out of position (substituting for Kareem at center), game 6 in the finals, to win the championship, during your ROOKIE season. When you do that, come talk to me.

Magic, the greatest of all time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by It's Maaaaaagic View Post
    As I watch this franchise swirling the toilet, Iím just wondering what the heck is going on. I still donít get the Kobe contract. Why are we paying him 24 mil a year, if he wants another ring? Did Kobe change his mind and simply give up on the pursuit of a 6th ring? Either way, we could have amnestied him last year, and have solved our luxury tax issue. Yes I know hindsight is 20/20, but just sayin..

But more importantly, Iím watching a franchise with a ďsmall ballĒ coach who is never going to win with his style, and who is too stupid/stubborn to change. Iím watching a Napolean-complex owner who just let Dwight Howard walk out the door and got ZERO in return. I was told we were allegedly freeing up space for some big free-agency window, yet we just handed an aging/injured Kobe 24 mil, and come to find out, there really isnít any legit shot at any free-agent who will make us a contender?

Now I apologize for ranting a bit, but I donít normally clutter up this forum very much with rants; However Iím an oldschool fan, and Iím saying enough is enough. We literally need to all join together and light torches and demand little Jimmy get the heck out. Otherwise, this franchise is headed for a very long, painful, and image-damaging road ahead.
    You should take a look around the league my friend. Would you call the Heat a "big ball" team? How about the Thunder? Blazers? Spurs? It's a small ball league. Why do you think they're trying to weed out pure centers? (ASG ballot is a great example.)

This is a business, remember. Plans don't always go accordingly. I agree that they should have gotten something for Dwight, but then again, perhaps they thought he legitimately might stay. Who freakin knows?

Would you have amnestied Kareem? West? Worthy? These are guys who meant what Kobe means to the franchise now. That'd be the ultimate disrespect and you don't do that.

The plan this year, with all these injuries, seems to be to tank. Otherwise, they'd have been trying to do something else than potentially trade Gasol for luxury tax relief. Wait until next year. It sucks that this season sucks, but we've been spoiled too long. All I can say is to be patient, man.

vCash
    Tank

vCash
    Right now, we're bending over for Kobe. What else can you do? Let him walk?? What would that say to the world that one of the franchises greatest players was discarded by an unappreciative ownership. Let him test free agency, then resign him for $12 million because nobody else would take him for the bucks we signed him for? How effective would he be after being humiliated in the open market? I think we're taking it in the booty because we more or less have to.

D'Antoni has a contract that has to be paid no matter what. That really isnt a problem, because we arent really going anywhere in the next two years anyway. I think we may be doing a self-assessment from the top down...starting with Jim Buss. Does he have a clear vision on where we're going? Does Mitch fit into that vision? Can Gary Vitti keep the machine healthy? What coaching candidate fits the vision.....even one who is still the right guy 5 years from now?

There is no way around sucking for a couple of years. The old formula of buying free agents doesnt work anymore. Its just time to hit the "reset" button

vCash
    Our front office is lost.

Wiggins-Mobile

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by royal bob View Post
    Right now, we're bending over for Kobe. What else can you do? Let him walk?? What would that say to the world that one of the franchises greatest players was discarded by an unappreciative ownership. Let him test free agency, then resign him for $12 million because nobody else would take him for the bucks we signed him for? How effective would he be after being humiliated in the open market? I think we're taking it in the booty because we more or less have to.

D'Antoni has a contract that has to be paid no matter what. That really isnt a problem, because we arent really going anywhere in the next two years anyway. I think we may be doing a self-assessment from the top down...starting with Jim Buss. Does he have a clear vision on where we're going? Does Mitch fit into that vision? Can Gary Vitti keep the machine healthy? What coaching candidate fits the vision.....even one who is still the right guy 5 years from now?

There is no way around sucking for a couple of years. The old formula of buying free agents doesnt work anymore. Its just time to hit the "reset" button

Ok, so what is the plan after we've now hit the reset button?

And call me crazy, but I would have never fired all of Phil Jackson's staff - people with Championship pedigree. I also would have traded Pau after he passed to the top of the key while standing wide open against the Thunder in game 5 versus the Thunder. I would have gotten something for Dwight; heck at the very least, Eric Bledsoe.

I would have hired Brian Shaw and kept the system in place that everyone on the roster knew and was comfortable with.

By the way, Magic Johnson is one of the most successful business entrepreneurs ever now (http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/70...vieid=70291353), let alone one of the best to ever play (and in my personal opinion THE best), and the greatest Laker of all-time. He's now co-owner of The Dodgers :-/ Why isn't he part of The Lakers? Oh I forgot, because little Jimmy is doing such a bang-up job, and there's no room for someone like Magic. I mean it's not like Magic knows anything about basketball right? And being worth almost a billion now, he also doesn't know much about business.

At any rate, does anyone see any light at the end of this tunnel we now find ourselves in?
    Last edited by It's Maaaaaagic; 01-03-2014 at 01:45 PM.
    While everyone drools over Lebron, and ponders about who is the greatest ever, how about you come with a performance like this, when playing out of position (substituting for Kareem at center), game 6 in the finals, to win the championship, during your ROOKIE season. When you do that, come talk to me.

vCash
    I cannot give you a definite plan, But I can give you my best assessment.

The Lakers are millions of dollars over the salary cap, Which causes them to pay a large luxury tax of being over the cap. I mean lets face it...While the Buss family loves the glitz and glam of having a world class championship team, They are in the business of makng money.

Which explains the Kobe contract, Kobe too is in the business of making money. And while having a 6th championship is a goal of his...Market value dictates that he would sign a deal that compensates him for his talent. And the Buss family knows that with out Kobe, Staples will be empty. See current attendance, Hell even Jack is missing games now. And there is no guarantee that you will land the F/A's you covet. The days of "When my contract is up, I'm gonna go play for the Lakers or Celtics are over" See Dwight Howard. Kobe Bryant is not just a basketball player, He is a business unto himself who generates millions of dollars every year for not only himself, But the Lakers, Nike and the NBA as a whole...Jerseys, T-Shirts, Shoes,etc. Thus, the contract....Because in the grand scheme of things compared to what the Lakers have made from him being in L.A., Their not paying him that much.

Now, Back to the plan...As we all know business is about profit...And that's what the Lakers and the other 29 teams are about...Profit. Winning a championship in the process is the icing on the cake. So in the 2013-14 season the Lakers are shedding most of the big money contracts to get the salary cap under control. Which will allow management to bring in the high price F/A's that we are used to them doing. It is a process and it won't happen overnight. We must wait and see what happens in the draft as well as the F/A period, plus what ever trades may happen before we pass complete judgement. Now if they bungle this process...Then we all have the right and we should be extremely critical.
    I will be the first to tell you this is painful to watch, But I know in order to get back to a championship level...This is a necessary evil.

We have to look at the big picture, It's not just about Kobe's sixth, But the teams 18th, 19th and so on and the trick is to be profitable in the process.
    Last edited by midwestlaker75; 01-03-2014 at 01:55 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shep33 View Post
    Our front office is lost.
    After I saw the news that Marshall and Sacre are starting tonight, its obvious they are tanking...though everyone is injured lol. This team is worse than the Cedric Ceballos years lol.

I think they are trying to secure a top 3 pick in the draft. Hopefully they can get Parker or Wiggins...maybe Marcus Smart at the very least. Do I see a situation in which they receive the #1 pick such as how the Knicks got Patrick Ewing? The only difference, the lottery was done behind close doors at that time.

We shall see my Laker friends.

vCash
    we tank

vCash
    I'm ALL for tanking, but I just don't see why they didn't amnesty Kobe, or at the very least sign him to a lesser contract that enables them to enable him (to pursue a sixth ring). If Kobe were signed to a lesser contract, we could bring in a top free agent, get a top pick, and still have money left over to sign some more help. We could also exchange Paula for help as well. That would enable us to possibly put a team together to make a run. I don't see how Kobe of all people, will enjoy two years of hopelessness. Is he in need of money or something??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by midwestlaker75 View Post
    I cannot give you a definite plan, But I can give you my best assessment.

The Lakers are millions of dollars over the salary cap, Which causes them to pay a large luxury tax of being over the cap. I mean lets face it...While the Buss family loves the glitz and glam of having a world class championship team, They are in the business of makng money.

Which explains the Kobe contract, Kobe too is in the business of making money. And while having a 6th championship is a goal of his...Market value dictates that he would sign a deal that compensates him for his talent. And the Buss family knows that with out Kobe, Staples will be empty. See current attendance, Hell even Jack is missing games now. And there is no guarantee that you will land the F/A's you covet. The days of "When my contract is up, I'm gonna go play for the Lakers or Celtics are over" See Dwight Howard. Kobe Bryant is not just a basketball player, He is a business unto himself who generates millions of dollars every year for not only himself, But the Lakers, Nike and the NBA as a whole...Jerseys, T-Shirts, Shoes,etc. Thus, the contract....Because in the grand scheme of things compared to what the Lakers have made from him being in L.A., Their not paying him that much.

Now, Back to the plan...As we all know business is about profit...And that's what the Lakers and the other 29 teams are about...Profit. Winning a championship in the process is the icing on the cake. So in the 2013-14 season the Lakers are shedding most of the big money contracts to get the salary cap under control. Which will allow management to bring in the high price F/A's that we are used to them doing. It is a process and it won't happen overnight. We must wait and see what happens in the draft as well as the F/A period, plus what ever trades may happen before we pass complete judgement. Now if they bungle this process...Then we all have the right and we should be extremely critical.
    I will be the first to tell you this is painful to watch, But I know in order to get back to a championship level...This is a necessary evil.

We have to look at the big picture, It's not just about Kobe's sixth, But the teams 18th, 19th and so on and the trick is to be profitable in the process.
    You make some cogent points. However, there are a couple of things worth pointing out:

You're right in that we can't compare today's NBA to that of 10 yrs ago. The league has changed and sissy small market owners complained enough until they got what they wanted. One could argue that Boston was in the same predicament as the Lakers in that they had aging superstars. In turn, they traded away and have multiple picks over the next couple of years. However, the future isn't as bright for the Lakers because we gave away so many of our picks to bankroll our future on a 40 year old PG who was pretty good 8 yrs ago and pair him up with a coach, whose greatest achievement was getting to the western conference semifinals.

It is definitely easy to criticize the moves that don't work out when we have the luxury of hindsight but imo, the signing of Nash and MDA was the worst direction this team could have gone in. Not only does the team not have a promising future, but they are also a team without an identity.

THE most frustrating thing as sports fans is to be rooting for a mediocre team. Imo, you either want your team to be a contender or completely suck for a few years and rebuild through youth...case in point OKC, Portland, Indiana, Golden State, etc. For all the praise that Mitch gets for landing FA's, the draft has been one area that the Lakers have completely laid an egg in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by still1ballin View Post
    we tank
    I don't think we are tanking cause tanking means we are purposely losing. We are losing cause we are not good period. Which in the end should be good for us. I hope Kobe takes his time to get healthy because there is no need to hurry up and play just to not make the playoffs.

vCash

Can anyone tell me what the plan is?

Hope for the best?

vCash
    THIS YEAR:
    They need to be out of the luxury tax for two years so they don't get the repeater tax. They should trade Pau for Bynum and whatever else they can get. Waive Bynum and save over 20 million dollars. We need to suck as much as we can this year to get the highest chance at a good pick. Kobe needs to come back and show other NBA player he is not washed up. Hopefully at the end of the season so we don't get too many wins.

THIS SUMMER:
    Do not sign Carmello Anthony! He would ruin us for 5 more years. We already have one guy who wont play defense and takes the worst shot in basketball (the contested mid range jumper) We don't need two of them. I am already tired of watching the Kobe iso ball, jab step, jab step, stare down, jab step, pump fake, pump fake, fadeaway jumper as it is. We don't need his offensive clone. Once again we are going to have to go bargain shopping and not give anyone a long term deal. We need flexibility going forward. Hopefully get the next star in the draft and go from there.

NEXT YEAR:
    Suck some more! This wont benefit us since we gave away our picks for a broken down Nash but that is our only option. We are going to suck. Let Kobe go as nuts as he can to score as much as he can. He will probably take 24 shots for 27 points on 40% shooting. We will be awful, but the fans want to see Kobe jack up long two point jumpers for $24 million right? Hopefully the pick that we have really pans out, gets us and other NBA players excited about what he could be, and gets them to start thinking of what it would be like to play in LA with him.

TWO SUMMERS FROM NOW:
    Sign Love

THREE SUMMERS FROM NOW:
    Sign Durant or Westbrook
    Last edited by DODGERS&LAKERS; 01-03-2014 at 02:49 PM.

vCash
    The direction will be determined on what draft pick have this year!!!

It will tell our FO on how to build the roster.

IN A PERFECT WORLD 2014 season
    1)get a High draft pick and draft Embiid from Kansas
    1A)KOBE STAY HEALTHY & NASH retires!!!

2)sign Deng+kyleLowry

3) succesfully Claim and acquire Carlos Boozer after the Bulls amnesty him.

Lowry/Kobe/Deng/Boozer/Embiid

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast