Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: TV Contract

vCash

TV Contract

With the massive TV contracts baseball teams are getting now, it got me thinking about our next deal. I know its a while away, 2019 I believe? If teams like Houston are getting 80M a year, shouldn't we at least double that. Philly just got a new deal terms weren't announced but its rumored to be over 150M a season. Not sure what our current deal pays, but going I am sure its less than 80M. Any how I thought it would be a good discussion for the future of the team. If we get a deal in lines with what other major city teams are getting than hopefully we can start spending like the big boys going forward. 5 years from now 150M payroll will be what 100M payroll is now.

vCash

TV Contract

Still so far away that deals could be much bigger in 5 years.

vCash
    Sox to WGN!
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

vCash
    Was hoping I was wrong about it being up in 2019. Wouldve liked it to be sooner! Maybe by 2016 we can start spending in anticipation of what it will be. By than we will have almost no money tied up long term, and should be pretty close to competing.

vCash
    I don't see a big TV contract in the $150 million range in 2015. But maybe you are right.

As for WGN, we split games with the Cubs. it would be great to get them exclusive, but with WGN being national and Cubs fans every where they will most likely offer the same split deal. Having WGN does give us some national exposure but not 100% like the Yankees Yes and the Red Sox NESN that you can see anywhere on cable.

vCash
    150M might be a little high. Have to imagine a few years from now 120M would be a pretty reasonable number. The freaking Astros are getting 80M so we have to at least get a nice amount more than that!
    Quote Originally Posted by South Side Sox View Post
    I don't see a big TV contract in the $150 million range in 2015. But maybe you are right.

As for WGN, we split games with the Cubs. it would be great to get them exclusive, but with WGN being national and Cubs fans every where they will most likely offer the same split deal. Having WGN does give us some national exposure but not 100% like the Yankees Yes and the Red Sox NESN that you can see anywhere on cable.