Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Ray Allen - Ben McLemore

Going to post a few sources here:

Ray Allen compliments shooting mechanics of #SacKings rookie Ben McLemore:

"He’s a jump shooter, first and foremost. He looks like, I haven’t seen him a lot, but every shot he takes, it seems like he duplicates the first one to the next one to the one after that. He stays consistent in how he puts the ball in the air. He has great athleticism and he uses it on his jump shot and most players now in the NBA don’t do that."
    http://sulia.com/channel/sacramento-...source=twitter

Ben McLemore on what idol Ray Allen said to him in their first match-up:

"He was telling me I’m just like him when he came in the league as a rookie - the way that I shoot the ball and stuff. So that was a great compliment from him. You know, just little things like that. Once I get his contact (info) and get to interacting with him and stuff like that, I’ll be able to learn some more things about how he move without the ball and some tips that he can give me."
    http://sulia.com/channel/sacramento-...source=twitter

Ben McLemore doesn’t mind the comparisons to Ray Allen. In fact, he embraces them. The Sacramento Kings’ 20-year-old rookie has a sweet-looking form to his jumper that’s drawn connections to the future Hall of Famer.

“I definitely was looking forward to going up against him and just being a part of something that I always (dreamed of),” McLemore said of facing off against Allen for the first time in his career two weeks ago. “I actually try to model my game, model my shooting abilities just like him.”

Allen is well aware of the comparisons as well, and he likes what he’s seen so far out of the Kings’ rookie guard. Before last week’s game against the Miami Heat, we caught up with the two-time NBA champion to get his thoughts on McLemore.

Allen discusses what’s impressed him about McLemore’s game thus far.

He’s a jump shooter, first and foremost. He looks like, I haven’t seen him a lot, but every shot he takes, it seems like he duplicates the first one to the next one to the one after that. He stays consistent in how he puts the ball in the air. He has great athleticism, and he uses it on his jump shot and most players now in the NBA don’t do that.

For someone his age, McLemore has phenomenal shooting mechanics. However Allen isn’t surprised by this, noting that it’s not rare for young players to have good fundamentals if they’ve learned the game the right way.

We’re creatures of habit. When you play sports a certain way, it’s hard to change who you are. So, he has great athleticism, (but) you can tell whoever taught him young kept him in great form with how he shoots the ball. It really has nothing to do with age because if you’re taught the fundamentals of the game when you’re 15, you’ll shoot the ball the right way – the way you’re supposed to be (shooting). It’s just we’re so surprised (when) we see players come to the NBA, professional players that don’t have the skill-set or the fundamentals that we know we should be seeing.

The fundamentals are lacking in our young kids growing up because the programs don’t exist as much they did when I was growing up. Kids are playing more AAU. They’re not working on those fundamental things about shooting, passing, dribbling, rebounding, boxing out. So they come to the league and you see certain guys that just don’t have the fundamentals. They have raw talent.

During the Kings’ first meeting with Allen’s Miami Heat, McLemore was on the receiving end of a vicious dunk by four-time MVP LeBron James. The Kings rookie didn’t let that get him down and proceeded to have a good game individually (20 points on 8-of-13 shooting) against the Heat. Allen doesn’t believe McLemore’s resilience to play on after being posterized by James is any special indicator for future success. Instead, he believes McLemore has to attack each day with consistent dedication to reach his NBA ceiling.

No, I don’t think it has to do with anything. He got dunked on. LeBron dunked on him – that will be a story he’ll tell when he gets old. When he gets old, people will rib him a little about it, but it should never affect how he plays the game. He’s a professional. He gets paid to do his job. And the fact that he’s young and he’s talented, he knows he still has a lot to prove. So it’s up to him (to decide) what type of career he wants to have and how focused he is to continue to get better every day.

Other than on the court, McLemore has yet to formally meet Allen. He hopes to speak soon with the 10-time NBA All-Star off-the-court about becoming a better pro.
    - See more at: http://cowbellkingdom.com/2014/01/02....81eO8Npx.dpuf
    Good stuff here. Liking the fact that McLemore will try to reach out to Allen to learn more about how to play at nba level.

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    http://imgur.com/a/4UK1e <---- BEST 10-15 SECONDS EVER

vCash
    lol...don't you dare say those two names in the same sentence.

The kid is playing major minutes because he can dunk really cool. He's being given opportunities Jimmer never got and the Kings will pay for it.

vCash
    I highly doubt the Kings regret playing Ben over Jimmer.

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    Lol Jimmer... I wish he was playing right now. Play him at center.

Anyway... comparing Ben to Ray is absurd, but the compliment is nice.

Ray is one of the best of all time. A truly great shooter and all around player.

Ben will never be anywhere close to as good, but hopefully he can become a quality starting SG one of these days.

Jew You Believe In Miracles?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash

Ray Allen - Ben McLemore

I disagree^ I think he will be very close to that good

vCash
    Can he not suck before we compare him to someone likeRay's career?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sneak View Post
    Can he not suck before we compare him to someone likeRay's career?
    He got Allen comparisons even before the draft. Hell, Ray even sees the comparisons.

<3

vCash
    No one is comparing Ray Allen to Ben McLemore in terms of production. Allen obviously has 18 years on him. The comparisons that are being made are based on mechanics. Also, McLemore can only embrace what others are saying about him. Like McLemore says, Ray Allen is his idol and he molds his game after him. More importantly, Ray Allen says McLemore reminds him of his rookie self. If Allen is saying that, then there has to be some truth to the comparisons. Lets not get caught up in production, being that Allen has some years on him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by freejimmer View Post
    lol...don't you dare say those two names in the same sentence.

The kid is playing major minutes because he can dunk really cool. He's being given opportunities Jimmer never got and the Kings will pay for it.
    Says the person who called Jimmer the best shooter in the world.

vCash
    The Jimmer/Ray Allen comparison obviously makes more sense.

vCash
    It works both ways with the Ray Allen comparisons. Sure, Ben hasn't accomplished much yet. But Ray didn't accomplish much his first year either. And he was a year older than Ben. I think we'll be able to get a better understanding of how good Ben will or won't be by his play toward the end of the year. If he shows improvement, that's all we can ask. He has all the tools to become a great player. The shooting ability and the athleticism. Now its up to him to work hard and improve.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cvietti23 View Post
    I disagree^ I think he will be very close to that good
    Pipe dream

Jew You Believe In Miracles?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation