Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Why is everyone........

So gaga over Stephen Drew???
    I'm not impressed
    If this guy is holding out for big money I hope we're not gonna be the idiots.
    If he's the "it" guy from the shortstop pool available, then I'm fine taking my chances with Santana

vCash
    Johan Santana can play SS? If he can then we should do it. Minor league deal do it Sandy!!!!!!!

The Future

vCash

vCash

Why is everyone........

because he's an upgrade over Tejada. For 2/20 he'd be an excellent option, as this club has no options for Ss until Cecchini/Rosario are ready.
    #oneatatime

vCash
    I think Joe Harley is having flashbacks of the 86' team and Rafael Santana.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I think Joe Harley is having flashbacks of the 86' team and Rafael Santana.
    He was solid

vCash
    Drew is an upgrade over Tejada and if the Mets can get him on a 2 year deal for 22-24 million, there is basically minimal risk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeharley666 View Post
    He was solid
    Santana was "solid" because he was on a great team. No one even noticed him. In reality, he was average at best. He made all the basic plays and rarely made a mistake. I wouldn't look to him for exceptional plays and he wasn't much of a hitter.

vCash
    Drew is an upgrade over Tejada and if the Mets can get him on a 2 year deal for 22-24 million, there is basically minimal risk.
    Except for the 22-24 million…but that's not our $$$$, right?

vCash
    He's a good SS and our SS right now kind of suck... And it doesn't seem like there is a good one in our foreseeable future

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota View Post
    Except for the 22-24 million…but that's not our $$$$, right?
    Part of the game. MLB revenue exceeded 8.5 billion dollars this year and each team received 25 million dollars in national tv money as well, which doesn't include the Met's revenues in relation to SNY (but is negated in large part due to their debt and lack of ballpark revenue).

Ironically, the Mets have the cheapest general seating price admission among the large market franchises in baseball.

http://news.cincinnati.com/assets/AB20330243.PDF

Their average ticket goes for less than the league average ticket price and it's significantly lower than comparable markets. Now granted there is a lot of tertiary spending at ballparks (parking, merchandise, food) but you go to a Met game for 30 bucks and not spend another dime if you don't want to if you live in the surrounding area. And I've been to games in places like Philadelphia and Boston, parking still costs 20 bucks if you go by car.

The money is going somewhere and it's better spent on the players than going in the owner's pockets.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-02-2014 at 10:02 PM.

vCash
    The risk of upgrading SS for a team that is unlikely to make the playoffs while giving up their first round pick? That seems like an unreasonable risk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    The risk of upgrading SS for a team that is unlikely to make the playoffs while giving up their first round pick? That seems like an unreasonable risk.
    They have a protected 1st round pick and they already gave up the 2nd rounder for Granderson. What's a 3rd round pick and its slot allotment when they can upgrade at SS for multiple seasons? I know team projections don't have them being anywhere near the playoffs in 2014 but they could certainly be in 2015 depending on future acquisitions and how their young starting pitching continues to develop.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-02-2014 at 10:18 PM.

vCash
    Getting Drew increases our chances of overachieving.

vCash
    They have a protected 1st round pick and they already gave up a 2nd rounder for Granderson. What's a 3rd round pick and its slot allotment when they can upgrade at SS for multiple seasons? I know team projections don't have them being near the playoffs next year but they could certainly be in 2015 depending on further acquisitions and how their young pitching develops.
    3rd round pick - fair point.

I still think that in the Mets' position they need to go after upside. Rafael Furcal would have been the player I would have targeted.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast