Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

New Year, Hopefully Same Success Gamethread

Happy New Year everyone. We ended 2013 with a loss which is never fun but luckily we get right back at it tomorrow. In order, we have the Rangers, Jets, and Canucks.
    Let's Go Pens! - 16 Games Left

vCash
    Lot of offense today... both ways unfortunately. I'm not going to get too down today after scoring 6 goals though

vCash
    It's going to go down to the wire in this one

vCash
    Crazy game last night. We looked stifling in the first 2 periods but things really opened up in the 3rd. Just a few quick thoughts:

- Despres looked really bad last night from what I saw
    - For basing your game on being an offensive defenseman, Letang needs to bury one of the many chances he had in the slot. The goal from the point slightly makes up for that
    - Fleury is an animal in the shootouts
    - I love beating Tortorella

vCash
    I am back! My internet been out for almost two weeks. dam ice storm. The defense has looked bad for awhile (the sens game). Lots of turn overs and guys out of position bad passes. Goaltending been shaky to. Offence been there to make up for it though.
    find some discipline and work ethic

vCash
    Letang has sucked this year. Between injuries and inconsistent play he just not very good. lots of trade rumors or talk about him to mostly by fans I believe but still lots of speculation.

vCash
    Fluery is awesome in shoot outs. I don't know why his play is so up and down in game but then rules shoot out. maybe his concentration level.

vCash
    beating that guy is very enjoyable agreed

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by t2a2e9j12 View Post
    Letang has sucked this year. Between injuries and inconsistent play he just not very good. lots of trade rumors or talk about him to mostly by fans I believe but still lots of speculation.
    I was going to post an idea I had about trading him, not necessarily what we should get in return, but more so why it would make sense.

I know the cap is expected to go up in the next year or two (can't remember which) but right now, we're pretty much pressed against the ceiling. With Bennett out for a while, Dupuis likely to miss the rest of the season, and injuries always a possibility, we could use another winger on the top line. I don't think it's a coincidence that Crosby's production has dropped a little ever since Dupuis went down and he's been playing with a revolving door of wingers.

Add all of that to the fact that we have great defensive depth, especially when Martin returns, and I think that makes Letang expendable. After he returns, we have: Martin, Letang, Orpik, Scuderi, Niskanen, Despres, Bortuzzo, Engelland, and Maata... that's 9 skaters for 6 positions. That's not even including the highly touted guys we have in the minors who will be ready sooner than later.

There are obviously drawbacks to trading a guy with Letang's skill set. The production from the blueline will drop and the PP may take a slight hit as well. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the defense was a little more stout, as guys won't be getting caught up ice as much and will focus instead on their defensive responsibilities. It could be somethign like:

Orpik - Martin
    Maata - Scuderi
    Niskanen - Engelland/Bortuzzo

Send Despres back to the AHL, he's looked pretty bad unfortunately. Either that or trade one of the other guys as well and keep him up here to work through his struggles.

For as rare as young, offensive capable defensemen are, I'm sure we could get a top 6 winger in return and possibly a pick or depth option as well, I've never been good at proposing trades.

Thoughts?