Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

|Report| MLSE wants to host 2017 Winter Classic at BMO Field

ANN ARBOR, Mich. – A complicated and costly deal is in the works that would see Toronto’s BMO Field significantly expanded in time for the Maple Leafs to host the Winter Classic in their centennial season, Sportsnet has learned.

Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment has held high-level discussions with the municipal, provincial and federal government and believes that they are all on board with renovating the six-year-old stadium, according to president and CEO Tim Leiweke. The driving force behind the proposed expansion is a desire to hold major events like the Winter Classic and NHL sources indicate that Toronto is in line to land the signature outdoor game should the building’s capacity be increased.
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/24-7/...ng-to-toronto/

Makes sense. Centennial year, age-wise a lot of our team will be in their prime. Plus 2017 will be Toronto's year anyway as i'm sure they will host stuff like the All-Star game and the Draft and such.

I wonder who we'll face if we do get it. Montreal is an obvious candidate but then we have to factor in the NHL and their plans to grow the game in the States... so an american team would have to be in it. Sabres (so their fans could make the trip easily) or Colorado (likely to be a super team by then=ratings) might be options. We also have to assume they'd want an Original 6 team to face another one... we just played Detroit so i doubt they'd do that again so early... that leaves Boston ( that would be ugly), Chicago (), and the NY Rangers.

vCash
    I'd want Montreal but I can almost guarantee Bettman won't go for it.. likely Boston as you mentioned. Or if Buffalo is able to land McDavid then that would make them a lock I think.

vCash
    There's no way they're airing a Winter Classic on NBC or a 24/7 on HBO with 2 Canadian teams. Never gonna happen. If we do get the game I'd love to play the Bruins. I don't care if they beat us around the last little while either. It'd make for a heck of a build up. Who knows if we'll even get the game. 100 year anniversary of one of the most storied franchises in sports you'd think there'd be some love there from the league.

To be honest I was shocked they put a Canadian team in the Winter Classic this year. Glad it was us because winning that game yesterday was awesome. Just awesome.

vCash
    Montreal would be great but like JaysLeafs said Bettman wouldn't go for it. I would like to see a team who hasn't done the classic before like Minnesota or St Louis. Sounds dumb I know, but I just want to see some teams get a turn.