Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: 4-3 Defense?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,278
    vCash
    1500

    4-3 Defense?

    Given our current roster...minus Fletcher......do we have enough to switch to a decent 4-3 ?

    White Sox & Redskins Forever

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Va
    Posts
    710
    vCash
    1500
    With our players how would you line up on defense if it was a 4-3?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    173
    vCash
    1500
    Well if we resign Brian we could have Brian and Ryan at ends, Barry Jarvis baker an Bowen at DTs rotating, perry at middle rob as one cover linebacker since he has proven he is good in coverage, hall and amerson at Cb if hall gets resigned and we would need to draft another olb or sign a free agent and we need new safety no matter what D we play. So I think we could.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,207
    vCash
    1500
    4-3

    DE: Orakpo
    DT: Cofield
    DT: Jenkins/ Bowen
    DE: Kerrigan
    OLB: (Maybe Rob Jackson)???
    MLB: Perry
    OLB: (Maybe Keenan Robinson)???
    CB: Hall
    SS: ???
    FS: ???

    CB: Wilson

    3-4

    DE: Jenkins
    DT: Cofield
    DE: Bowen
    OLB: Kerrigan
    MLB: Perry
    OLB: Orakpo
    CB: Hall
    SS: ???
    FS: ???

    CB: Wilson

    I think Kerrigan could play OLB but is better served as a DE in the 4-3. We are a 3-4 defense right now so obviously we have more guys to fill in the blanks with, but I think we could be ok either way. Our biggest problem is we need a competent DC and secondary help either way!

    My Mock v 1.1
    51st (Second Round) - Amerson CB/FS
    85th (third round) - Bacarri Rambo FS
    119th (fourth) - David Quessenberry, OT/OG
    154th (fifth) - Cornelius Washington, DE/ OLB
    162nd (fifth) - Ray Ray Armstrong, SS
    191st (sixth) - Nick Kasa, TE
    228th (seventh) - Rodney Smith, WR

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,278
    vCash
    1500
    I sure miss the days of Manley/Mann

    White Sox & Redskins Forever

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,714
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NJrockPD View Post
    4-3

    DE: Orakpo
    DT: Cofield
    DT: Jenkins/ Bowen
    DE: Kerrigan
    OLB: (Maybe Rob Jackson)???
    MLB: Perry
    OLB: (Maybe Keenan Robinson)???
    CB: Hall
    SS: ???
    FS: ???

    CB: Wilson

    3-4

    DE: Jenkins
    DT: Cofield
    DE: Bowen
    OLB: Kerrigan
    MLB: Perry
    OLB: Orakpo
    CB: Hall
    SS: ???
    FS: ???

    CB: Wilson

    I think Kerrigan could play OLB but is better served as a DE in the 4-3. We are a 3-4 defense right now so obviously we have more guys to fill in the blanks with, but I think we could be ok either way. Our biggest problem is we need a competent DC and secondary help either way!
    i think i eluded to this about a month ago...we are now better equipped to run a 4-3. Rob jackson is a PERFECT 4-3 OLB because of his ability to cover and you can get a decent 4-3 LBs in the mid rounds because they are essentially all ILBs that play behind the line of scrimmage....

    If we switch to a 4-3, the need for a great MLB is gone because you already have riley..

    The DL would be stacked with Orakpo, Kerrigan, B. Jenkins, J. jenkins, Coefield, Bowen, Baker, and Tapp.

    i think its perfect...the need for a 3-4 ILB is much greater and harder to fill than the need of a 4-3 ILB...there are just as many great 4-3 defenses as 3-4..SEA, SF, CAR and CIN

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    19
    vCash
    1500
    Exactly why I've been saying zimmer for the last three months. Doing a little more research wisenhunt is perfect

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    173
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by widow4523 View Post
    i think i eluded to this about a month ago...we are now better equipped to run a 4-3. Rob jackson is a PERFECT 4-3 OLB because of his ability to cover and you can get a decent 4-3 LBs in the mid rounds because they are essentially all ILBs that play behind the line of scrimmage....

    If we switch to a 4-3, the need for a great MLB is gone because you already have riley..

    The DL would be stacked with Orakpo, Kerrigan, B. Jenkins, J. jenkins, Coefield, Bowen, Baker, and Tapp.

    i think its perfect...the need for a 3-4 ILB is much greater and harder to fill than the need of a 4-3 ILB...there are just as many great 4-3 defenses as 3-4..SEA, SF, CAR and CIN
    All the points you made are correct! And I hope we run a 4-3, only mistake is SF runs a 3-4 :-P bowman and Willis are mlb with smith and brooks outside

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,714
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dougfunnie3684 View Post
    All the points you made are correct! And I hope we run a 4-3, only mistake is SF runs a 3-4 :-P bowman and Willis are mlb with smith and brooks outside
    i guess i was wrong..i always thought brooks, willis, and bowman were LBs and the smiths were DEs...i guess i was wrong

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,207
    vCash
    1500
    one smith is a de and the other is olb.

    My Mock v 1.1
    51st (Second Round) - Amerson CB/FS
    85th (third round) - Bacarri Rambo FS
    119th (fourth) - David Quessenberry, OT/OG
    154th (fifth) - Cornelius Washington, DE/ OLB
    162nd (fifth) - Ray Ray Armstrong, SS
    191st (sixth) - Nick Kasa, TE
    228th (seventh) - Rodney Smith, WR

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,714
    vCash
    1500
    i dont think people are ready to hear this here, but i think we should let orakpo walk....

    spending 7 million On jarius Byrd sounds a lot better for our team than spending 10+ for Orakpo...he will be highly over-valued IMO... 10 million if he's generous and gives a "hometown Discount".

    Jarius Byrd + a RT or an ILB>>>orakpo

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Salem, Virginia
    Posts
    26,350
    vCash
    1500
    IDK, I think there are actually quite a few of us here that would agree with that. I think Jackson could hold his own as a starter, we'd just need depth at the position.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,714
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BullsFan_1 View Post
    IDK, I think there are actually quite a few of us here that would agree with that. I think Jackson could hold his own as a starter, we'd just need depth at the position.
    i think given the opportunity, brandon jenkins would prove why he was projected by many to go in the 1st round before he decided to go back to school and hurt his foot...darryl tapp was one of the stars of camp....i'd say we can afford to let orakpo walk and spend that money wisely on some OL and S help...

    Alex mack, Malcolm jenkins, hakeem nicks, dexter mcluster, and so many more...the list is really endless on upgrades we could make.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Va
    Posts
    710
    vCash
    1500
    It would serve us well to switch to a 4-3 but about 75% of defensive play calls come from the nickel and dime now considering that the NFL is a passing league and most offensive like that spread it out and throw the ball more than run now a days

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    63
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by widow4523 View Post
    i think i eluded to this about a month ago...we are now better equipped to run a 4-3. Rob jackson is a PERFECT 4-3 OLB because of his ability to cover and you can get a decent 4-3 LBs in the mid rounds because they are essentially all ILBs that play behind the line of scrimmage....

    If we switch to a 4-3, the need for a great MLB is gone because you already have riley..

    The DL would be stacked with Orakpo, Kerrigan, B. Jenkins, J. jenkins, Coefield, Bowen, Baker, and Tapp.

    i think its perfect...the need for a 3-4 ILB is much greater and harder to fill than the need of a 4-3 ILB...there are just as many great 4-3 defenses as 3-4..SEA, SF, CAR and CIN
    Lol does anyone else think it is funny how we may be suited for the 4-3 than the 3-4, after four years of transitioning to a 3-4?? I agree and do think itd be a smooth transition, depending on if R Jax could hold down a OLB spot. Ive been saying for a while that i wish theyd find more ways to get Jackson, Rak, and Kerrigan on the field at the same time. Shannahan doesnt know s**t about defense. Really want to see Greg Williams as DC if we get another offensive minded coach.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •