Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4-3 Defense?

vCash

4-3 Defense?

Given our current roster...minus Fletcher......do we have enough to switch to a decent 4-3 ?

White Sox & Redskins Forever

vCash
    With our players how would you line up on defense if it was a 4-3?

vCash
    Well if we resign Brian we could have Brian and Ryan at ends, Barry Jarvis baker an Bowen at DTs rotating, perry at middle rob as one cover linebacker since he has proven he is good in coverage, hall and amerson at Cb if hall gets resigned and we would need to draft another olb or sign a free agent and we need new safety no matter what D we play. So I think we could.

vCash
    4-3

DE: Orakpo
    DT: Cofield
    DT: Jenkins/ Bowen
    DE: Kerrigan
    OLB: (Maybe Rob Jackson)???
    MLB: Perry
    OLB: (Maybe Keenan Robinson)???
    CB: Hall
    SS: ???
    FS: ???

CB: Wilson

3-4

DE: Jenkins
    DE: Bowen
    OLB: Kerrigan
    OLB: Orakpo

I think Kerrigan could play OLB but is better served as a DE in the 4-3. We are a 3-4 defense right now so obviously we have more guys to fill in the blanks with, but I think we could be ok either way. Our biggest problem is we need a competent DC and secondary help either way!

My Mock v 1.1
    51st (Second Round) - Amerson CB/FS
    85th (third round) - Bacarri Rambo FS
    119th (fourth) - David Quessenberry, OT/OG
    154th (fifth) - Cornelius Washington, DE/ OLB
    162nd (fifth) - Ray Ray Armstrong, SS
    191st (sixth) - Nick Kasa, TE
    228th (seventh) - Rodney Smith, WR

vCash
    I sure miss the days of Manley/Mann

White Sox & Redskins Forever

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NJrockPD View Post
    4-3

DE: Orakpo
    DT: Jenkins/ Bowen
    DE: Kerrigan
    OLB: (Maybe Rob Jackson)???
    OLB: (Maybe Keenan Robinson)???

3-4

DE: Jenkins
    DE: Bowen
    OLB: Kerrigan
    OLB: Orakpo

I think Kerrigan could play OLB but is better served as a DE in the 4-3. We are a 3-4 defense right now so obviously we have more guys to fill in the blanks with, but I think we could be ok either way. Our biggest problem is we need a competent DC and secondary help either way!
    i think i eluded to this about a month ago...we are now better equipped to run a 4-3. Rob jackson is a PERFECT 4-3 OLB because of his ability to cover and you can get a decent 4-3 LBs in the mid rounds because they are essentially all ILBs that play behind the line of scrimmage....

If we switch to a 4-3, the need for a great MLB is gone because you already have riley..

The DL would be stacked with Orakpo, Kerrigan, B. Jenkins, J. jenkins, Coefield, Bowen, Baker, and Tapp.

i think its perfect...the need for a 3-4 ILB is much greater and harder to fill than the need of a 4-3 ILB...there are just as many great 4-3 defenses as 3-4..SEA, SF, CAR and CIN

vCash
    Exactly why I've been saying zimmer for the last three months. Doing a little more research wisenhunt is perfect

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by widow4523 View Post
    i think i eluded to this about a month ago...we are now better equipped to run a 4-3. Rob jackson is a PERFECT 4-3 OLB because of his ability to cover and you can get a decent 4-3 LBs in the mid rounds because they are essentially all ILBs that play behind the line of scrimmage....

If we switch to a 4-3, the need for a great MLB is gone because you already have riley..

The DL would be stacked with Orakpo, Kerrigan, B. Jenkins, J. jenkins, Coefield, Bowen, Baker, and Tapp.

i think its perfect...the need for a 3-4 ILB is much greater and harder to fill than the need of a 4-3 ILB...there are just as many great 4-3 defenses as 3-4..SEA, SF, CAR and CIN
    All the points you made are correct! And I hope we run a 4-3, only mistake is SF runs a 3-4 :-P bowman and Willis are mlb with smith and brooks outside

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dougfunnie3684 View Post
    All the points you made are correct! And I hope we run a 4-3, only mistake is SF runs a 3-4 :-P bowman and Willis are mlb with smith and brooks outside
    i guess i was wrong..i always thought brooks, willis, and bowman were LBs and the smiths were DEs...i guess i was wrong

vCash
    one smith is a de and the other is olb.

My Mock v 1.1
    51st (Second Round) - Amerson CB/FS
    85th (third round) - Bacarri Rambo FS
    119th (fourth) - David Quessenberry, OT/OG
    154th (fifth) - Cornelius Washington, DE/ OLB
    162nd (fifth) - Ray Ray Armstrong, SS
    191st (sixth) - Nick Kasa, TE
    228th (seventh) - Rodney Smith, WR

vCash
    i dont think people are ready to hear this here, but i think we should let orakpo walk....

spending 7 million On jarius Byrd sounds a lot better for our team than spending 10+ for Orakpo...he will be highly over-valued IMO... 10 million if he's generous and gives a "hometown Discount".

Jarius Byrd + a RT or an ILB>>>orakpo

vCash
    IDK, I think there are actually quite a few of us here that would agree with that. I think Jackson could hold his own as a starter, we'd just need depth at the position.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BullsFan_1 View Post
    IDK, I think there are actually quite a few of us here that would agree with that. I think Jackson could hold his own as a starter, we'd just need depth at the position.
    i think given the opportunity, brandon jenkins would prove why he was projected by many to go in the 1st round before he decided to go back to school and hurt his foot...darryl tapp was one of the stars of camp....i'd say we can afford to let orakpo walk and spend that money wisely on some OL and S help...

Alex mack, Malcolm jenkins, hakeem nicks, dexter mcluster, and so many more...the list is really endless on upgrades we could make.

vCash
    It would serve us well to switch to a 4-3 but about 75% of defensive play calls come from the nickel and dime now considering that the NFL is a passing league and most offensive like that spread it out and throw the ball more than run now a days

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by widow4523 View Post

Lol does anyone else think it is funny how we may be suited for the 4-3 than the 3-4, after four years of transitioning to a 3-4?? I agree and do think itd be a smooth transition, depending on if R Jax could hold down a OLB spot. Ive been saying for a while that i wish theyd find more ways to get Jackson, Rak, and Kerrigan on the field at the same time. Shannahan doesnt know s**t about defense. Really want to see Greg Williams as DC if we get another offensive minded coach.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast