vCash

2014 Free Agent and Trade Discussion Thread 1.0

Go Cubs.

vCash
    Happy new year! Will this be the year?

vCash
    This will be...a year.

vCash
    These last couple weeks have been so slow.........

vCash
    Brett over at Bleacher Nation gives us hope for...

On that last point, perhaps the Cubs’ revised plan is to punt on 2014 because (1) there wasn’t the kind of impact free agent talent they wanted this year (except possibly for Tanaka); (2) the core prospects are at least a year away; (3) quality pitching can be secured in free agency next year (when the Cubs should still have a protected first round pick, by the way); (4) in-house pitching can be traded for offense not provided by the prospects in the near-term (since that pitching can be replaced with just money); and (5) more money will be available next year. If you knew all of that was the plan for next offseason, wouldn’t you feel a whole lot better about punting on 2014? I sure would. And it makes a lot of sense, too. Hey, Cubs: do that stuff.

http://www.bleachernation.com/2013/1...aeda-spending/

vCash
    What does next years FA pitchers look like....

vCash

If some of those pitchers make it there could be a very strong group of free agents next year.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/02/2015-mlb-free-agents.html

vCash
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-...mors-for-jan-1

SIGNING

Mark Mulder has signed with the Angels, according to ESPN.com -- and considering that's where Mulder was employed before his comeback, I'm prepared to believe the report. It's a minor-league deal that could grow to $6 million if Mulder reaches his incentives.

Mulder hasn't pitched a full season since 2005 and last appeared in the majors in 2008. Shoulder issues appeared to have ended his career prematurely, but he's still only 36. The two-time All-Star was 103-60 with a 4.18 ERA (106 ERA+) and 1.34 WHIP in 1314 career innings before his first retirement.

REPORTS, RUMORS OR SPECULATION

Masahiro Tanaka: Diamondbacks fans shouldn't get their hopes up on the club landing Tanaka, per the team beat writer on MLB.com. Tanaka is the Yankees' top priority, says their beat writer on MLB.com.

Athletics: The A's aren't shopping for a DH, as the club plans to use John Jaso in the spot the bulk of the time, per Jane Lee of MLB.com.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jts1207 View Post
    What does next years FA pitchers look like....
    Starters

http://www.pinstripealley.com/yankee...ee-agent-class

Player Age (in 2015) 2013 fWAR Contract Notes
    Brett Anderson 27 0.3 $12.5 million club option for 2015
    Homer Bailey 29 3.7
    Josh Beckett 35 -0.1
    Chad Billingsley 30 0.0 $14 million club option for 2015
    Joe Blanton 34 -0.4 $8 million club option for 2015
    Wei-Yin Chen 29 2.0 $4.75 million club option for 2015
    Kevin Correia 34 1.3
    Johnny Cueto 29 0.6 $10 million club option for 2015
    Jorge De La Rosa 34 2.9
    Ryan Dempster 38 1.3
    Yovani Gallardo 29 1.7 $13 million club option for 2015
    J.A. Happ 32 1.2 $6.7 million club option for 2015
    Dan Haren 34 1.5 $10 million player option for 2015 with 180 IP in 2014
    Roberto Hernandez 34 0.2
    Hisashi Iwakuma 34 4.2 $7 million club option for 2015
    Josh Johnson 31 0.5
    Kyle Kendrick 30 1.7
    Clayton Kershaw <--- !!! :-D 27 6.5
    Jon Lester 31 4.3
    Colby Lewis 35 DNP
    Justin Masterson 30 3.4
    Brandon McCarthy 31 1.8
    Brandon Morrow 30 -0.1 $10 million club option for 2015
    Jeff Niemann 32 0.8
    Ross Ohlendorf 32 0.3
    Felipe Paulino 34 DNP $4 million club option for 2015
    Jake Peavy 34 2.4
    Wandy Rodriguez 36 0.2
    Max Scherzer 30 6.4
    James Shields 33 4.5
    Carlos Villanueva 31 1.0
    Ryan Vogelsong 37 -0.6
    Edinson Volquez 30 0.4

vCash
    http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2013/...naka-2014-cubs

The Cubs want very much to sign Japanese righthander Masahiro Tanaka. This, Theo Epstein has made very clear, and the Cubs have to be considered one of the top contenders for his services, even coming off a 96-loss season.

What will this mean to the payroll? And, how would a rotation including Tanaka fare in the National League Central in 2014? I'm not going to consider years beyond 2014 for the purposes of this discussion, only because beyond next season, there are other variables for roster decisions that theoretically would make the Cubs a better team then anyway. I'm just interested in the 2014 impact, at this point.

Baseball-reference.com has pages estimating the payroll for every team for 2014 (and several years beyond, taking multi-year deals into consideration) Here's the Cubs' page, for your perusal. The short version is that it lists the Cubs with 10 players on multi-year deals or already signed to a one-year contract for 2014, two players not on the 40-man roster who are owed money for 2014 (Alfonso Soriano and Gerardo Concepcion), and one player on the 40-man not likely to play in the major leagues in 2014 (Jorge Soler). In addition, the page estimates arb salary awards (or agreements) for eight other players and lists 16 others as "pre-arb", 37 players in all.

The total salary obligations for those 37 players is $79.1 million, well below the $100 million that most of us think the Cubs can afford. (For comparison, the Cubs spent about $107 million on the major-league payroll in 2013.)

So let's assume that the Cubs can thus afford about $20 million per year for Tanaka. Perhaps they'd pay him a bit less in the first year to leave some flexibility, and more in future years when the obligation to Soriano, for example, is off the books.

All right, so let's assume now the Cubs have signed Tanaka; what does that mean for the team going into the 2014 season? Remember, for much of 2013, starting pitching was one of the team's strengths. This signing would only make it stronger. The 2014 rotation would therefore consist of: Tanaka, Jeff Samardzija (for the purpose of this article, let's assume he's not traded), Travis Wood, Edwin Jackson and a fifth starter. For now, let's call that guy "Jake Arrieta."

Although we do not know if Tanaka can be a true No. 1 starter in Major League Baseball, let's assume he's at least a No. 2. That would give the Cubs two No. 2 starters, a solid No. 3 in Wood, a decent No. 4 in Jackson (presuming he rebounds from his awful 2013) and a wild card in Arrieta, who could be anywhere from a No. 2 to a No. 5, if he ever harnesses his command. The No. 5 spot could also be held down by Carlos Villanueva, Kyle Hendricks, Dallas Beeler, Tsuyoshi Wada or someone who isn't even signed yet.

Assuming Tanaka is all he is expected to be, that's a pretty good rotation. A full year's worth of Tanaka would essentially replace the 15 starts made by Villanueva and the 13 made by Chris Rusin. Those 28 starts were decent -- 156⅓ innings, 149 hits allowed, 54 walks, 101 strikeouts, 4.26 ERA, 1.299 WHIP combined -- but clearly, everyone expects Tanaka to be better than that. Running those numbers through baseball-reference's Play Index to find starters comparable to those numbers in 2013, I came up with Felix Doubront, Wily Peralta, Ryan Dempster and Jerome Williams as the closest comps. All of those guys were 1 WAR or fewer in 2013. Obviously, Tanaka will be better than that.

I'd expect him to be about a 4 WAR pitcher, maybe 5 WAR if the Cubs got lucky and he brings his All-Star level of performance to MLB. Possible comp: Matt Cain in one of his better years. Or: Hiroki Kuroda, James Shields or Doug Fister, all of whom had about 4 WAR in 2013.

Remember that the Cubs underperformed their Pythagorean projection in 2013 by five games. That's a lot, and mostly of the bullpen failures. Teams that underperform by that much are likely to have better years the following year, and with the addition of Tanaka and an improved bullpen -- remember, with Tanaka you'd have Villanueva in the pen, and he was much better in relief than he was as a starter -- I could make an argument that the Cubs could play close to .500 in 2014, just by adding Tanaka.

Maybe you think I'm being overoptimistic, and maybe I am, especially considering that the Cubs haven't really done anything to improve their offense, which ranked 15th in the National League with just 602 runs scored. I'd like to point out here that the Pittsburgh Pirates scored only 27 runs more than the Cubs did in 2013, and made the postseason with 94 wins, primarily because of a huge improvement in their pitching staff. The Pirates allowed the second-fewest runs in the N.L. in 2013 (577) after giving up almost 100 more in 2012 (674). The improved pitching of the Bucs did that, led by a revived Francisco Liriano and rookie Gerrit Cole, and a solid bullpen anchored by Jason Grilli, and then Mark Melancon when Grilli got hurt.

Why can't the Cubs make significant steps forward by adding Tanaka and solidifying the pen (the latter, they've already done by adding Wesley Wright and Jose Veras)? I'm not suggesting a 94-win season, but a better rotation and an improved bullpen could certainly get the Cubs to around .500, even if expected offensive improvements by Anthony Rizzo and Starlin Castro and maybe Welington Castillo don't occur.

I've been on the "sign Tanaka" bandwagon for a while. Obviously, the Cubs don't have the "you can win right now" possibility that some other teams might be able to offer him. But with talents like Javier Baez and Kris Bryant on the verge of major-league play, maybe they can offer Tanaka the possibility of sustained success beyond 2014.

Go for it, Theo.

I'm sure you have thoughts about all this. Have at it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmmahhh View Post
    http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2013/...naka-2014-cubs

The Cubs want very much to sign Japanese righthander Masahiro Tanaka. This, Theo Epstein has made very clear, and the Cubs have to be considered one of the top contenders for his services, even coming off a 96-loss season.

What will this mean to the payroll? And, how would a rotation including Tanaka fare in the National League Central in 2014? I'm not going to consider years beyond 2014 for the purposes of this discussion, only because beyond next season, there are other variables for roster decisions that theoretically would make the Cubs a better team then anyway. I'm just interested in the 2014 impact, at this point.

Baseball-reference.com has pages estimating the payroll for every team for 2014 (and several years beyond, taking multi-year deals into consideration) Here's the Cubs' page, for your perusal. The short version is that it lists the Cubs with 10 players on multi-year deals or already signed to a one-year contract for 2014, two players not on the 40-man roster who are owed money for 2014 (Alfonso Soriano and Gerardo Concepcion), and one player on the 40-man not likely to play in the major leagues in 2014 (Jorge Soler). In addition, the page estimates arb salary awards (or agreements) for eight other players and lists 16 others as "pre-arb", 37 players in all.

The total salary obligations for those 37 players is $79.1 million, well below the $100 million that most of us think the Cubs can afford. (For comparison, the Cubs spent about $107 million on the major-league payroll in 2013.)

So let's assume that the Cubs can thus afford about $20 million per year for Tanaka. Perhaps they'd pay him a bit less in the first year to leave some flexibility, and more in future years when the obligation to Soriano, for example, is off the books.

All right, so let's assume now the Cubs have signed Tanaka; what does that mean for the team going into the 2014 season? Remember, for much of 2013, starting pitching was one of the team's strengths. This signing would only make it stronger. The 2014 rotation would therefore consist of: Tanaka, Jeff Samardzija (for the purpose of this article, let's assume he's not traded), Travis Wood, Edwin Jackson and a fifth starter. For now, let's call that guy "Jake Arrieta."

Although we do not know if Tanaka can be a true No. 1 starter in Major League Baseball, let's assume he's at least a No. 2. That would give the Cubs two No. 2 starters, a solid No. 3 in Wood, a decent No. 4 in Jackson (presuming he rebounds from his awful 2013) and a wild card in Arrieta, who could be anywhere from a No. 2 to a No. 5, if he ever harnesses his command. The No. 5 spot could also be held down by Carlos Villanueva, Kyle Hendricks, Dallas Beeler, Tsuyoshi Wada or someone who isn't even signed yet.

Assuming Tanaka is all he is expected to be, that's a pretty good rotation. A full year's worth of Tanaka would essentially replace the 15 starts made by Villanueva and the 13 made by Chris Rusin. Those 28 starts were decent -- 156⅓ innings, 149 hits allowed, 54 walks, 101 strikeouts, 4.26 ERA, 1.299 WHIP combined -- but clearly, everyone expects Tanaka to be better than that. Running those numbers through baseball-reference's Play Index to find starters comparable to those numbers in 2013, I came up with Felix Doubront, Wily Peralta, Ryan Dempster and Jerome Williams as the closest comps. All of those guys were 1 WAR or fewer in 2013. Obviously, Tanaka will be better than that.

I'd expect him to be about a 4 WAR pitcher, maybe 5 WAR if the Cubs got lucky and he brings his All-Star level of performance to MLB. Possible comp: Matt Cain in one of his better years. Or: Hiroki Kuroda, James Shields or Doug Fister, all of whom had about 4 WAR in 2013.

Remember that the Cubs underperformed their Pythagorean projection in 2013 by five games. That's a lot, and mostly of the bullpen failures. Teams that underperform by that much are likely to have better years the following year, and with the addition of Tanaka and an improved bullpen -- remember, with Tanaka you'd have Villanueva in the pen, and he was much better in relief than he was as a starter -- I could make an argument that the Cubs could play close to .500 in 2014, just by adding Tanaka.

Maybe you think I'm being overoptimistic, and maybe I am, especially considering that the Cubs haven't really done anything to improve their offense, which ranked 15th in the National League with just 602 runs scored. I'd like to point out here that the Pittsburgh Pirates scored only 27 runs more than the Cubs did in 2013, and made the postseason with 94 wins, primarily because of a huge improvement in their pitching staff. The Pirates allowed the second-fewest runs in the N.L. in 2013 (577) after giving up almost 100 more in 2012 (674). The improved pitching of the Bucs did that, led by a revived Francisco Liriano and rookie Gerrit Cole, and a solid bullpen anchored by Jason Grilli, and then Mark Melancon when Grilli got hurt.

Why can't the Cubs make significant steps forward by adding Tanaka and solidifying the pen (the latter, they've already done by adding Wesley Wright and Jose Veras)? I'm not suggesting a 94-win season, but a better rotation and an improved bullpen could certainly get the Cubs to around .500, even if expected offensive improvements by Anthony Rizzo and Starlin Castro and maybe Welington Castillo don't occur.

I've been on the "sign Tanaka" bandwagon for a while. Obviously, the Cubs don't have the "you can win right now" possibility that some other teams might be able to offer him. But with talents like Javier Baez and Kris Bryant on the verge of major-league play, maybe they can offer Tanaka the possibility of sustained success beyond 2014.

Go for it, Theo.

I'm sure you have thoughts about all this. Have at it.
    Not bad. I agree with the majority of the thinking. However, I cans see them being a 75 to 78 win team with Tanaka. This is providing Castro and Rizzo rebound. Thais is also providing they get a good year out of either Sweeney, Lake or whoever plays third. You are forgetting they did have Soriano most of the year last year. Right now the offense is worse without him. Personally I believe with Rizzo and Castro having better years that would make up for the loss of Soriano. But you want to be better than last year. So someone like Sweeney, Lake or whoever plays third will have to step up. And don't forget the Cubs actually got better than average production from their 3rd baseman last year. So you might actually see a regression there. They also had Garza for a handful of starts. Another thing to consider is winning 75 to 78 games next year puts you in the spot Theo and the FO really does not want to be in. A team too good to have their first round pick protected but not good enough to compete to win the division. 78 wins next year means you lose a #1 pick if you sign a big time free agent. Not sure Theo wants that to happen. Now if it gets you 83+ wins I can see that to be exciting because that might have you in a playoff race all year. But Tanaka alone will not do that, IMO.

vCash
    Baseball can be random. The Cubs need a lot to go right for them to win 80 games. Going through each player's potential value, and whether or not the player attain's such potential, would be exhausting. This team has little to no positional depth right now. This is the most gaping hole. One simply cannot add up WAR on the starting lineup and assume normality from the rest of the "non-starters." The depth the Cubs do have is full of players who haven't played MLB, or little of it.

vCash
    Hopefully we can start off 2014 with Tanaka being signed by us. If that's the only move they make the rest of the offseason, I'd consider it a win.

vCash

I don't think next years FA class of FA is that good at all. Assuming Kershaw, Lester and Scherzer sign extensions as expected and options are picked up on guys like Iwakuma, Morrow, Gallardo and Chen, the best options could be Bailey, Shields and Masterson.

That could be a really good thing if the Cubs are still looking to trade Shark.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JBears79 View Post
    Hopefully we can start off 2014 with Tanaka being signed by us. If that's the only move they make the rest of the offseason, I'd consider it a win.
    I completely agree with this. He's the perfect player at the perfect time for the Cubs.

Page 1 of 192 1231151101 ... LastLast