Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash

It is now 2014 and only three teams in the East are over .500

At the beginning of December I posted a thread about the East being weak. Part of me thought that there was a 'perfect storm' of injuries and coaching adjustments and player-chemistry issues that would be correct during the month of December.

I was wrong.

We are now entering the 10th week of the season, and there are still only 3 teams over .500 in the east, and one of those teams (the Atlanta Hawk) just lost their franchise player (Al Horford) for the season. I do not expect them to maintain their high level of play.

Miami and Indy are the only teams over .500 and the Central Division looks like it may be won by a team that is under .500 (go Raptors!)

In the West there are 8 teams over .500 with a four more teams (T-Wolves, Denver, The Pelicans and the Grizz) that are all likely to finish at .500 or better.

I thought this would even out by the time the new year rolled around, but the East seems to be historically awful, despite having the two best teams in the league (my opinion obviously).

So what are the causes? Is it just bad coaching (Cheeks, Brown, Kidd and Wittman), injuries (NY, BK, CHI, PHI), player decline/lack of chemistry (BK, CHA, CLV), or just teams actually trying to do bad (I won't guess who is intentionally tanking and by 'team' I mean the management, not the players).

What are your thoughts? Is there any one factor here? Or is it a perfect storm?
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

vCash
    i think every1 is playing to their expectations w/ the exception of the nets and knicks, and bulls which most believed to be seeds 3-5 in the east under indy and miami. leaving the 6-8 to atl/cha/det/tor/was.

Knicks are just straight trash, their def. is atrocious and they just don't have the right mix of players but somthin is off about them. I can't really speak about nets b/c i havent watched them play yet but my guess would be coaching. J kidd wasn't the right choice for a team with a small window of opportunity to win (garnett/pierce) and should have put in some work as an assistant coach to the learn the ropes. Bulls just have injuries

vCash
    the east may suck, the west is ridiculous the 8th seed may have around 50 wins, right now dallas is 8th projected for 48 wins

vCash
    I don't think anything is going to change when it comes to the east... The bottom feeders are very happy where they are (front office management).

But it's bigger then just this year draft, these Gm's know that the HEAT are own a run, so it's just better to wait it out and get high lottery pics instead of being stuck in the middle.

For the West, I see them making trades snatching up Eastern Conference players left and right. The West playoffs will be epic this year; the East postseason will be scripted drama (and the fans will believe every second of it), and the HEAT will move on to the Finals.

Enjoy Haters
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQkyxNNNefg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImlKH...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    As a rookie Micheal Beasley averaged 13.9pts per game on .472 shooting. Do you know how many times Kobe Bryant or Tracy Mcgrady shot at that percent or better? Never in there whole careers. If Beas can be what he was when he was a rookie (he won't hell be better) then the heat are coming away with another steal.

vCash
    Still think Toronto gets over .500 and because of the schedule you'll see a couple more East teams get above .500.
    With the deepest of regrets I am announcing that I will be leaving Pro Sports Daily. No reason in particular but wanted to thank everyone for a great 6 years here. Lots of great discussion and good poll series as well. Also fun re-drafts. Best of luck to you all in the future.

vCash
    We get it, the east sucks.
    Future Ace

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ill21 View Post
    We get it, the east sucks.
    The post isn't about IF the east sucks, but WHY.
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

vCash
    As bad as Brooklyn has been, they're only 3 games back of the 8th spot.. Knicks 4.. The Bucks, 6 games and they are the worst team in the league lololol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn View Post
    The post isn't about IF the east sucks, but WHY.
    The west has significantly more talent

vCash
    Injuries.

Chicago could have been a 50 win team if Derrick Rose and Luol Deng didn't get injured.
    Brooklyn could have been a 50 win team if Deron Williams - Brook Lopez didn't get injured.
    NY could have been a 50 win team if Tyson Chandler - Carmelo Anthony didn't get injured.
    ATL could have been a 50 win team if Al Horford didn't get injured.
    Hell who knows Boston might have been a solid playoff team if Rondo was healthy going into the season.

Then suddenly you're looking at an Eastern Conference that is 7 deep with two young teams (Washington/Toronto) fighting for the 8th spot at around .500.

vCash
    Injuries
    Youngest GM in the league.

vCash
    Honestly, I'm pretty shocked over what's transpired in Brooklyn and New York.

Chicago, at 12-18, was doomed when Rose went down again.

But Brooklyn and New York are two very talented teams, on paper I guess. Bargnani, JR Smith, Joe Johnson, Garnett, Pierce, Stoudemire - these are all talented guys that have done it before.

Some are old, some are injured, whatever.

But I think it comes down to very poor chemistry and very poor coaching. Both teams have gotten into terrible defensive habits and they're like sinking ships. It's kind of ridiculous. No way to explain it. Only that Brooklyn won 49 games last year and New York won 54 games and both teams should have been better than last year.

Even without Brook Lopez - Deron, Joe Johnson, Garnett and Pierce should be a 50 win team. But whatever, the whole thing is so bizarre and such a train wreck that it brings down the entire East as a whole because these were 2 teams that were supposed to be 50 win contenders.

In the Knicks case, they're like 1-7 or so in games decided by 3 or less. That's terrible coaching and execution. If they were savvy down the stretch, they'd be at .500 at least.

In the end, Jason Kidd moving as a player on the Knicks to a coach on the Nets may be one of the top 5 stories of the 2013-2014 season. It ultimately sunk both teams like a ship. Kidd was an integral veteran to the Knick locker room and he's been a terrible coach on the Nets. Had he stayed put and not retired, just off of chemistry alone I think the Knicks would have 7 or 8 more wins. The Nets probably would too with a veteran coach.
    Last edited by NYSpirit1; 01-01-2014 at 03:54 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shep33 View Post
    The west has significantly more talent
    Injuries also hurt the east
    3 time sim league Champion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by xxplayerxx23 View Post
    Injuries also hurt the east
    True, but the west has had some pretty bad injuries itself.

Kobe, Westbrook, Nash, Gasol, Gallo, Faried, Redick, even Anthony Davis missed a long while.

A fully healthy Lakers, Nuggets, or Grizz team are playoff caliber teams themselves.

Bottom-line, the West just has way more talent. You can make the argument that the West has the top 4 point guards in the NBA (Cp3, Parker, Westbrook, Curry), two of the top 3 SG's in the league (Harden and Kobe), the top 4 PF's in the NBA (Love, Blake, AD, and LMA), and the top 4 bigs in the NBA (D12, Gasol, Timmy, Cousins)

I haven't even mentioned guys like Dirk, Iggy, Zbo, Lawson, David Lee, Jrue Holiday, DeAndre Jordan, Chandler Parsons, Ibaka, Lillard, Bledsoe, Dragic, Monta, Pekovic, Kevin Martin, Mike Conley, Derrick Favors, Kawai Leonard, and Manu etc.

There is just way more talent out west from top to bottom.

vCash
    Injuries have made the easily weaker conference appear utterly pathetic. The east has been worse for over 2 decades. It probably will be for 2 more. The better GM's are out west. Until that shifts, expect the disparity to continue.

It is bittersweet that the weaker conference has 2 straight championships haha.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast