Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Giants RB Brandon Jacobs undecided on future, blames 49ers for misdiagnosing knee

Can't think of a more die-hard Giant player that I've seen.

Giants RB Brandon Jacobs undecided on future, blames 49ers for misdiagnosing knee

Brandon Jacobs hasn't made a final decision on his future but would like to return to the Giants.

(Tony Kurdzuk/The Star-Ledger)
    Jordan Raanan/NJ.com By Jordan Raanan/NJ.com
    on December 30, 2013 at 7:26 PM, updated December 31, 2013 at 8:43 AM

EAST RUTHERFORD -- Giants running back Brandon Jacobs limped around the locker room on crutches, commanding the room with his deep, baritone voice like he always does.
    Jacobs and the new knee cartilage he received from a cadaver -- a 16-year-old boy who died in a car crash, he said -- wasn't quite ready to call it a career. The cartilage graft surgery done on his left knee gave Jacobs hope that the free agent may return to the Giants Ė and only the Giants Ė next season.
    ďI approach the rehab as if Iím playing next year because Iím undecided right now,Ē he said.
    Jacobs, 31, will talk over the decision with his wife in the coming months. Whether or not trying to return to the football field will affect his long-term ability to play with his children will factor heavily into the equation.
    Right now, it appears a long shot. No NFL player has ever undergone the rare knee surgery, which only two doctors in the United States perform, that Jacobs had done.
    And then there is the question of whether the Giants are interested in his services. That will also play a major role.
    ďIíll only play here, no question,Ē Jacobs said. ďAnd if thatís not the case, take it for what it is. Give me a box. Every other Sunday Iíll put my Giants shirt on, my Giant hat, and root for this football team, this organization. Iím only playing here.
    ď[To heck with] all them other teams. [To heck with] all them other teams. I tried that already. Iím a Giant. Iím a Giant up and down, 0-16, 16-0, 8-8, whatever you want to call it. Thatís what it is.
    ďAnd thatís what I take it, and this is the organization that I love. I won two championships here. Itís never going to be the same anywhere else. I tried to tell a lot of these guys that too.Ē
    Jacobs spent most of last season with the San Francisco 49ers. Heís made it known throughout the year that he didnít enjoy his experience on the West Coast.
    It was made worse when Jacobsí knee continued to give him problems. It took him all of one game this season before his knee needed to be drained. Jacobs pointed the finger at the 49ersí doctors.
    ďI should have had surgery [at the end of last year]. Come to find out, I should have had surgery then but I didnít,Ē he said. ďSo I came back and when I did stuff on it, it blew up. I started to get my knee drained the first week I came back here.
    ď[San Francisco] told me I was fine. I didnít need surgery. I was fine. So I took it for what it was, thinking they knew what they were talking about. I didnít question the medical staff because I didnít get a degree for it. They did. So I didnít question the medical staff.Ē

Jacobs managed the pain for a while this season. He played in seven games and rushed for 238 yards with 4 TDs after being re-signed early in September.
    If this is the end of the line, Jacobs finishes with 60 career touchdowns, the most in Giants history. And if this is the way it ends, he's not going to complain. This is where I was meant to end.
    "I was happy where I was before I came back, but I wanted to finish as a Giant, not that 1-day contract crap," Jacobs said. "I wanted to put it on the line and then be done. Right now, I think I ran pretty good with this knee being the way it was."
    http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...sing_knee.html

vCash
    Really hope he's able to make it back he's a team leader , vocal, and brings toughness to a team that lacks it ,he has fire and passion , and he happens to be my favorite player

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYGJacobs27 View Post
    Really hope he's able to make it back he's a team leader , vocal, and brings toughness to a team that lacks it ,he has fire and passion , and he happens to be my favorite player
    Yeah his dedication and passion alone have turned him into my favorite player.

Va...heart between Giants Stadium and MSG
    vCash
    Still think it was ****ed up that Gilbride rode him like that in the Chicago game. That was totally unprofessional...just like rushing Brown 30 times in his first game back...just like allowing Eli to throw 24 times in the first half of a meaningless final game of the season.

Being stubborn...trying to keep his job.

Anyway, if Jacobs can get 100% and show no effects in the surgically repaired knee...I think you have to bring him back.

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 18-1 Signature of a Champion!
    ELI MANNING.... 2X SB MVP....2X SB CHAMPION!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Missing56&33 View Post
    Still think it was ****ed up that Gilbride rode him like that in the Chicago game. That was totally unprofessional...just like rushing Brown 30 times in his first game back...just like allowing Eli to throw 24 times in the first half of a meaningless final game of the season.

Anyway, if Jacobs can get 100% and show no effects in the surgically repaired knee...I think you have to bring him back.
    I agree, at least for one more year...He was amazing to watch in that Chicago Bears game, it was like watching the 2008 Jacobs all over again.... IDC about the other RBs, He better be on that roster next year....
    BORN AND RAISED TO KILL COWBOYS
    13-9 Record & Super Bowl 46 Champs: You made it true Big Blue!!!!(Now Aim High For #5!!!!! )

Gimme MORE of that BAZE D'andummy!

NY Giants Fan, LA Lakers Fan, LA Dodgers Fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Missing56&33 View Post

Yeah that was kinda on both parts. For coaches who are so cautious all the time i was surprised about giving Brown over 30 touches in his first game back.

vCash
    Jacobs got screwed over so much in his career. Poor fella. Guy who cares more about this team than any player I've seen couldn't even get support from the fans until it was essentially too late. Hope he can make 1 more year happen but I damn sure applaud his thought process. Train and rehab like you're coming back instead of trying to make that time up. And then his main consideration being raising his kids.
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

vCash
    I wish I had a reel of every run Jacobs made in the 2008 season back-to-back.

vCash
    He has been my favorite player for some time...was glad to have him back this season as he ALWAYS runs hard. I know coaches love to ride the hot hand with RBs, but you gotta be careful with older backs. I am all for a Jacobs return!