Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Breaking Down Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

[Note: Breakdowns begin in the 2nd post in this thread]

I'm not here to defend Eli. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and I respect that. I simply broke down each of his 27 interceptions to the best of my ability (for the most part, anyway, this got a lot more tedious than I expected, 27 INTs is a lot).

The best of my ability absolutely won't be perfect because I wasn't on this team, don't wholeheartedly know the schemes, and more than anything don't have the play sheet in front of me so they're basically a bunch of estimations and educated guesses. That said football is a simpler game than most people realize, and much of what happens is the same basic stuff in fancy packages so it will be close enough to accurate.

There is so much language and jargon in football, I'm just going to somewhat code my own using all that I've ever been exposed to in order to make this as simple as possible to understand while providing full detail. Also, as I mentioned, this got tedious and I kind of veered of my formatting and language consistency at times, but should remain consistent for the most part.

Offensive Personnel Numbers - The first number is how many RBs are on the field. The second number is how many TEs.

Defensive Personnel: 4 secondary players will be referred to as Base. 5 secondary players will be referred to as nickel. 6 Secondary players as dime (dollar if 2 LBs 3 DL). 7 secondary players as quarter.

Offensive Formations: The first word will refer to QB alignment. Under means he's under center, Gun means he's in shotgun. The next words will refer to formation and alignment. The Y is the TE and anything including Y is basically saying how he's lining up. Any questions ask

Defensive Look Presnap: Most part talking about corner alignment (press/off) and safety alignment (1 high/2 high) because that often shows their coverage. Note that sugar stuff is when they have 2 3T DTs with the ILBs walked up in each A gap.

Offensive Plays: This is hard without the play sheet and knowing their adjustments to certain coverages they see because certain plays may wind up not looking like how you'd diagram them because of how receivers adjust their routes. Anyhow, I got a lot of them and ones I didn't I just either winged something or basically described the route(s) run by the intended receiver and possibly another receiver in the area.

Defensive Plays: Most of these are pretty simple although not always and I had to make a few guesses on some coverages that look the same as others before routes develop and it was a quick throw and I couldn't tell. For the most part will be basically saying the blitzing players and the coverage shells.

Disclaimer: This is completely unedited from the input of data to the write up of the breakdown.
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

vCash
    Interception: 1

Week: 1
    Opponent: Cowboys
    Down and Distance: 1st and 10 @ NYG 20
    Situation: NYG 0 - DAL 0 ; 15:00 left in Q1

Offensive Personnel: 12
    Offensive Formation: Under Normal Y Slot

Defensive Personnel: Base 43
    Defensive Look Presnap: 2 shell, pressed corners

Offensive Play: PA Zone Weak HB Slip Screen
    Defensive Play: Mike Will 3

Intended Receiver: David Wilson
    Intercepting Player: Demarcus Ware
    Player(s) at fault: Will Beatty

Discussion: Weakside screen into a weakside blitz. Perfect call for the defense faced. Had a big play set up if Ware doesn't make an all pro play. Will Beatty was completely out of control and he overset on Ware, allowing him to get inside position. Beatty's job is to sell run while maintaining inside leverage at all costs. Once beat, Beatty should have washed him down the line of scrimmage to clear the throwing lane but he stood there and did nothing. Eli should probably have thrown the ball in the dirt once he saw Ware, but Ware was rushing and his retracement occurred as Eli threw the ball. Ware made a great play, credit to him and fault to Beatty.

Down and Distance: 3rd and 10 @ NYG 49
    Situation: NYG 0 - DAL 3 ; 8:58 left in Q1

Offensive Personnel: 10
    Offensive Formation: Gun Spread

Defensive Personnel: Nickel
    Defensive Look Presnap: Sugar 3, Sean Lee check to 4-2-5 cover 2 when Eli checked out of his play.

Offensive Play: Inside hitch @ the sticks (Jernigan), Outside 15 yard post (Randle)
    Defensive Play: Cover 2, Weak TE stunt

Intended Receiver: Jerrell Jernigan
    Intercepting Player: Will Allen
    Player(s) at fault: Jerrell Jernigan.

Discussion: It looks to the naked eye like Eli threw a high pass to Jernigan, but its 3rd and 10 and he ran a 9 yard hitch working back to 8 on 3rd and 10. Unacceptable. If he runs 11 and works back to 10, that ball's on target. I don't know if its a completion because Bruce Carter can move and had really good seem/curl/flat coverage, but Jernigan would've been afforded the opportunity to make a catch in traffic to move the chains had he pushed his route to where it should have been.

Down and Distance: 1st and 10 @ DAL 47
    Situation: NYG 24 - DAL 30 ; 2:00 left in Q4

Offensive Personnel: 11
    Offensive Formation: Gun Y-Trips HB Wk

Defensive Look Presnap: Sugar 3 Nickel Threat checked Sugar 3 Nickel Off

Offensive Play: HB Slip Screen Wk
    Defensive Play: Sugar Bluff, Cover 2

Intended Receiver: Darrell Scott
    Intercepting Player: Brandon Carr
    Player(s) at fault: Darrell Scott

Discussion: Eli checked to screen when he saw blitz but then Sean Lee checked to cover 2. Darrel Scott leaked way too late on a screen with no threat they he had to chip. Eli threw the ball as Scott turned around and scott attempted to catch it with one hand tipping it to a waiting Brandon Carr. Brandon Carr kept his eyes in the backfield as he jammed the receiver and saw the screen developing so he was in position to make a tackle and it wouldn't have been a big play, but had Scott turned around and used two hands, you get a couple yards and live to play another down. Great plays by both Lee and Carr, but this is on Scott.

Week: 2
    Opponent: Broncos
    Down and Distance: 1st and 10 @ DEN 28
    Situation: NYG 9 - DEN 10 ; 0:16 left in Q2.

Defensive Personnel: Dime
    Defensive Look Presnap: Cover 2

Offensive Play: No ****ing clue. Slot out (cruz), Outside skinny post (nicks). But someone ran the wrong route.
    Defensive Play: Mike Nickel 3

Intended Receiver: Hakeem Nicks
    Intercepting Player: Dominique Rodgers Cromartie
    Player(s) at fault: Eli Manning and Hakeem Nicks

Discussion: 16 seconds left in the half with the ball at the 30 you basically have time for one shot play. Denver sends a 5 man pressure to weak side of the protection and gets a free man. Eli can't take a sack and get put out of field goal range. Sees the safety rotation with a blitz and knows he's working the outside. Takes a shot to Nicks in 1 on 1 vs DRC who was flagged for PI on the previous play. Nicks never sees the ball and doesn't think its thrown to him. I think Nicks ran the wrong route honestly, but Eli should have just hit an open Cruz on a 10 yard out and hoped for him to make a play or take your 3 and the ball at half with a 2 point lead. Situational football and I disagree with the decision, but I'm not going to crucify him because thats the Eli that won two superbowls with faith in his supporting cast and his arm.

Down and Distance: 2nd and 2 @ NYG 28
    Situation: NYG 16 - Den 24 ; 15:00 left in Q4

Offensive Formation: Gun Normal HB Wk

Defensive Look Presnap: Cover 3 or Man Free

Offensive Play: Slants
    Defensive Play: Cover 2

Intended Receiver: Reuben Randle
    Intercepting Player: Chris Harris Jr
    Player(s) at fault: Reuben Randle

Discussion: Broncos show 1 high safety and rotate to cover 2 post snap. Eli checks the backside slant/flat to Cruz but sees its cover 2 and knows thats not open and works his progression back to Randle who's the only one on one and expected to win a 1 on 1 slant. Randle gets abused with no release letting Carter into his body. Eli puts the ball on the money having faith in his receiver to win the 1 on 1 but he doesn't. It could be argued that Eli should see the good coverage and check down to the back, but I think he makes a fine decision and Randle needs to win. And then we get an unlucky bounce off a cleat for the interception on a ball that wouldn't have been tipped otherwise.

Down and Distance: 4th and 10 @ 45
    Situation: NYG 16 - DEN 38 ; 7:43 left in Q4

Offensive Formation: Gun Trips Open HB Wk

Defensive Look Presnap: Cover 6 or Cloud 3 with 1 press 1 off corner

Offensive Play: Flood Post
    Defensive Play: Cover 6

Intended Receiver: Ruben Randle
    Intercepting Player: Rahim Moore
    Player(s) at fault: Eli Manning, situational prayer

Discussion: Trips right and Iso'd Nicks left. They're playing cover 2 on Nicks so he's double covered and not an option on the post. Frontside to the trips they're playing cover 4. Myers isn't an option on a 5 yard out on 4th and 10, Cruz is bracketed on a 20 yard out. Randle was covered as well, but the safety was still in his backpedal so Eli figured he could give Randle 1 on 1 with the corner after getting by the safety. No one was open on 4th and 10 and Randle probably was the best shot. Perfect storm here as Eli didn't check out of a call that I don't think makes sense in the situation vs a coverage that wasn't remotely disguised, slightly under thrown ball, and an outstanding play from Rahim Moore coming over from a deep half responsibility to undercut the deep ball outside the opposite hash.

Down and Distance: 2nd and 10 @ DEN 20
    Situation: NYG 23 - DEN 41; 0:57 left in Q4

Offensive Formation: Gun Y Trips HB Wk

Defensive Look Presnap: Cover 4/Max Coverage

Offensive Play: Drive Stop
    Defensive Play: Double Safety 0 Blitz

Intercepting Player: Tony Carter
    Player(s) at fault: Eli Manning or Reuben Randle, we'll never know

Discussion: Everything about this play says Reuben Randle should break off his route like he did from the coverage to the fact that Hakeem Nicks ran the exact same route at the top with the same read vs the same off-man coverage. But at the same time Eli clearly saw the defense and there wasn't much of a disguise or confusion and something tells me Eli fully expected him to go vertically most likely because of the situation in the game. I want to say its Eli's fault based on everything I see, but I just can't believe he'd make the wrong decision vs an obvious defense to a receiver he stared at the whole time and throwing just a lob for Randle to win a 1 on 1.

Week: 3
    Opponent: Panthers
    Down and Distance: 3rd and 8 @ NYG 22
    Situation: NYG 0 - CAR 24 ; 11:22 left in Q3

Offensive Formation: Shotgun Normal Y-Wing HB Str

Defensive Look Presnap: Sugar 2

Offensive Play: Fade Out. Outside WR (nicks) Fade, slot WR out at the sticks (cruz)
    Defensive Play: Sugar 2 bluff man under

Intended Receiver: Victor Cruz
    Intercepting Player: Melvin White
    Player(s) at fault: Eli Manning, I guess

Discussion: Theres really not much to say here. I put it on Eli because theres really no one else you can fault on the play, but quite frankly the corner just made an outstanding play. Knowing where the sticks are and knowing he had safety help he jumped a pass he's not at all responsible for on 3rd and long after keeping his eyes in the backfield with his hips turned and running. I can't even be mad at Eli for it, because Cruz was open, but White just a great great play. That said, Eli may have thrown the ball a quarter second late and that may be what resulted in the INT but Cruz was open and he threw him a good ball. Just a great play by white. The real fault on this interception is whoever was at fault on the previous two plays for winding up in 3rd and long. But seriously, I can't crucify anyone for this pick.

Week: 4
    Opponent: Chiefs
    Down and Distance: 3rd and 19 @ NYG 11
    Situation: NYG 7 - KC 10 ; 6:40 left in Q3

Offensive Personnel: 02
    Offensive Formation: Empty Double Wing

Defensive Look Presnap: 2 high pressed corners

Offensive Play: Switch
    Defensive Play: 2 man

Intercepting Player: Quentin Demps
    Player(s) at fault: Eli Manning

Discussion: 3rd and 19, I think Eli saw it was 2 man and knew Nicks was gonna break on the dig past the sticks and was trying to throw it away but Demps made a good play coming from the opposite deep half to pick it off. Either that or an absolutely terrible read/decision. In a tight ball game like this I think you have to throw it away or just go down and punt. I don't like the play call either. Worst part about it is Nicks was open on the dig if he had half a second longer but I think he got nervous. Regardless of thought process, this ones all on Eli.

Week: 5
    Opponent: Eagles
    Down and Distance: 1st and 20 @ NYG 41
    Situation: NYG 21 - PHI 22 ; 11:04 left in Q4

Defensive Personnel: Nickel 3 down
    Defensive Look Presnap: Cover 6 or Cover 3 Cloud

Offensive Play: Verticals stop slot post. Checkdown to RB under pressure
    Defensive Play: Cover 6 NB/OLB swap

Intended Receiver: Brandon Jacobs
    Intercepting Player: Mychael Kendricks
    Player(s) at fault: Will Beatty, Kevin Boothe, Jim Cordle, Referee

Discussion: The Eagles got the Giants here with a good call. A 3 down nickel front with Connor Barwin to the offenses right and a NB to the offenses left with the OLB showing and the NB sitting like he's in coverage. Have to slide the protection to Barwin assuming he's the 4th rusher. At the snap they bring the NB and drop Barwin and the Giants are beat. Not only do the eagles get a free rusher with the swap in rushing players, but Beatty is abused by Cole. Kevin Boothe and Jim Cordle both literally do nothing and both get in the way of Eli as he tries to get rid of the ball. How on earth there was ANY penetration by Cedric Thorton with 3 players blocking him, I will never know. And on top of all of that, Trent Cole mauls Eli's head with his club and rips it backward as he's throwing the ball and theres no call. And of course the next play is a touchdown.

Down and Distance: 3rd and 10 @ NYG 20
    Situation: NYG 21 - PHI 29 ; 10:12 left in Q4

Defensive Look Presnap: 2 high corners pressed

Offensive Play: Slot Dig
    Defensive Play: 2 man, blitz/peel on the back

Intercepting Player: Brandon Boykin
    Player(s) at fault: David Diehl, Victor Cruz

Discussion: The defense doesn't disguise anything, they run a basic 2 man under with DeMeco Ryans having blitz/peel on the back. Diehl gets beat off the snap allowing penetration which results in his man taking out Cordle and Cordle's defender being unblocked. Diehls Penetration forces Eli to shuffle and hitch to the clear throwing lane, but Cordles guy is unblocked in the same lane. Eli stiff arms the damn DT while getting tackled and throwing the ball into the only open receivers hands who proceeds to have the ball wrestled away from him on an outstanding play by Boykin. What more could you ask for from Eli here?

Down and Distance: 1st and 10 @ NYG 45
    Situation: NYG 21 - PHI 36 ; 7:17 left in Q4

Offensive Formation: Trips Open HB Wk

Defensive Look Presnap: Cover 6 or Cloud 3

Offensive Play: Quick Slant
    Defensive Play: Man Free, Slot Bracket, Press Iso, Blitz/Peel to the back

Intercepting Player: Carey Williams
    Player(s) at fault: Hakeem Nicks

Discussion: Eli saw the press coverage on Nicks pre snap with the single high safety and the other safety rolled to the trips side knowing that Ryans is the alley player. As soon as Ryans blitzed he knew the alley was clear and he had Nicks 1 on 1 on the slant. Nicks literally just stopped on the play for no reason on a ball that probably would've been completed and Williams didn't and it was picked off. Eli probably had an easy completion to Randle vs off man with no safety help, but his first key said Nicks is the throw and he made it and Nicks quit. Also two plays before that on an incompletion to randle, Nicks had his man beat on a post route working across the middle, a ball he usually turns into a big play in the open field, and he seemed frustrated he didn't get the ball. Next play he had single press man coverage again and seemed frustrated he didn't get it. Then jogged lazily back to the line in a hurry up situation before quitting on the play that was picked off.

Week: 6
    Opponent: Bears
    Down and Distance: 3rd and 6 @ NYG 23
    Situation: NYG 0 - CHI 0 ; 14:15 left in Q1

Offensive Formation: Gun Spread Y Flex

Defensive Look Presnap: Sugar Blitz

Offensive Play: Slot Post
    Defensive Play: Sugar Blitz Man Free

Intercepting Player: Zack Bowman

Discussion: Initially I put this interception on Randle for running a bad route. But even if he did its irrelevant. Thats a ball that Eli can't throw. Thats a situation where you're beat by the blitz, your receiver isn't open, eat the sack. Just can't throw that ball there end of story. The hitch vs off man is great so I get where his head was at, but Randle never got Bowman to turn and run, tuck the ball and live to play another down.

vCash
    Interception: 14

Down and Distance: 1st and 10 @ NYG 45
    Situation: NYG 0 - CHI 0 ; 10:01 left in Q1

Offensive Personnel: 01
    Offensive Formation: Empty

Defensive Look Presnap: Cover 3 or Man Free

Offensive Play: Spacing
    Defensive Play: NB Blitz Man Free

Intercepting Player: Tim Jennings
    Player(s) at fault: Reuben Randle

Discussion: Clearly a timing pattern where Eli sees the off man coverage quickly and throws the ball anticipating Randle to stop and work back to the ball but Randle thinks he's Randy Moss and can choose to run a go and throw his hand up in the air when the only reason he looked open on the streak in the first place is because Jennings had his eyes in the backfield and saw Eli throwing the ball. This one's pretty cut and dry all on Randle.

Down and Distance: 2nd and 9 @ CHI 36
    Situation: NYG 21 - CHI 27 ; 2:02 left in Q4

Defensive Look Presnap: 2 high, corners off

Offensive Play: Verticals Stop
    Defensive Play: Cover 3

Intended Receiver: Brandon Myers
    Intercepting Player: Tim Jennings
    Player(s) at fault: Brandon Myers and Eli Manning

Discussion: Eli gets good protection and the coverage he wants and is able to step up into the pocket and step into his throw. Myers and open and Eli makes the right read and gets him the ball a hair high. However Myers gets up and gets 2 hands on the ball and it goes through his hands. I really think 2 hands on the ball and you have to catch it, especially a receiving TE. But Eli is not free of fault because that pick doesn't happen if he brings it down a hair either. I wouldn't argue anyone who says its on Eli, I just think Myers needs to catch it regardless. Id put fault at 50/50

Week: 10
    Opponent: Raiders
    Down and Distance: 1st and 10 @ NYG 37
    Situation: NYG 14 - OAK 10 ; 1:28 left in Q2

Defensive Look Presnap: 2 high (deep), corners off

Offensive Play: Stick

Intercepting Player: Tracy Porter
    Player(s) at fault: Eli Manning and Kevin Boothe

Discussion: When I watched this live I crucified Eli because it looked to be the biggest boneheaded throw I've seen in a long long time from him. And it still is pretty stupid, but with the coaches film I see Kevin Boothe getting embarrassed off rip and Eli having to get rid of the ball before he wanted to. Another situation similar to chicago where he probably needs to eat the sack but it was a 2 minute situation and I think he wanted points. Regardless, bad decision and while Boothe is partially at fault, its still all on Eli. Gotta make a better decision. This is what happens when you can't protect the QB, though.

Week: 11
    Opponent: Packers
    Down and Distance: 3rd and 11 @ GB 14
    Situation: NYG 10 - GB 3 ; 3:45 left in Q2

Defensive Look Presnap: 2 high, Off Corners

Offensive Play: Drive Smash
    Defensive Play: Cover 4

Intended Receiver: Louis Murphy Jr
    Intercepting Player: Tramon Williams
    Player(s) at fault: Louis Murphy Jr

Discussion: Good defensive call by GB on 3rd and 11 to play the sticks with cover 4, especially with the shrunken windows in the redzone. Eli can't get the first down so he takes the safe throw to Murphy, who is out there playing 2 hand touch running around until he gets open. He runs a hitch and Eli throws him the ball and for whatever reason, I'm assuming he was assuming Eli wasn't coming to him, begins to try to work across the field to find an opening, when he was already open and getting the ball for a shot to make a play in open field and settle for 3 points.

Week: 13
    Opponent: Redskins
    Down and Distance: 3rd and 2 @ NYG 23
    Situation: NYG 14 - WSH 14 ; 5:15 left in Q3

Offensive Formation: Gun Normal SE Close TE Wing

Defensive Look Presnap: Man coverage (motion)

Offensive Play: Drive
    Defensive Play: Man free slot bracket

Intercepting Player: Brandon Meriweather
    Player(s) at fault: David Diehl/Offensive Line

Discussion: Eli knows exactly what defense he's getting before the snap, Randle runs the dig and is open. Eli gets pressure from his backside from Beatty and Diehl gets collapsed giving Eli no room to step into his throw at all and Eli misses him. Not rocket science here. Some people may think I'm being easy on Eli on this one, but football is a team game. Every NFL QB can easily make that throw that Eli just missed, it doesn't happen if Diehl doesn't get embarrassed by Cofield.

Week: 14
    Opponent: Chargers
    Down and Distance: 1st and 10 @ SD 32
    Situation: NYG 0 - SD 0 ; 9:24 left in Q1

Defensive Look Presnap:

Offensive Play: PA Post
    Defensive Play: Sam Mike Safety 3

Intercepting Player: Donald Butler
    Player(s) at fault: Reuben Randle/Refs

Discussion: Great play fake and blitz gets the entire LB area cleared out to hit Randle one on one on the post. Looks on TV tape like the DB makes an outstanding play on the ball but on coaches tape you see that him diving to make a play on the ball is actually him tacking Randle and his tomahawk attempt at swatting misses. Randle being tackled gets hit with the ball and doesn't make the catch, bounces off him for a tipped interception. Whether you want to put it on Randle or the Refs doesn't matter to me. Randle needs to get more separation here too, but its irrelevant because the INT still shouldn't have happened.

Week: 14
    Opponent: Chargers
    Down and Distance: 1 2nd and 2 @ SD 41
    Situation: NYG 14 - SD 37 ; 2:00 left in Q4

Offensive Formation: Gun Trips Open Y Flex

Defensive Look Presnap: Nothing generic. Corners 1 press 1 off. 1 Safety high, other safety walked onto LOS

Offensive Play: Slot Post
    Defensive Play: Extremely creative and deceptive zone blitz

Intended Receiver: Louis Murphy
    Intercepting Player: S. Wright

Discussion: Definitely the most unique blitz/coverage on any interception thus far. They took the safety who was walked down on the LOS pre snap and rolled him back last second to a deep 1/2 responsibility on the OPPOSITE side of the field (the frontside pressed corner) for cover 2 to louis murphy with off man no safety help on Nicks (open for TD), press man with no safety help on Cruz (open for TD) and two DL/LBs in underneath zones if HB/TE were to leak. As creative and unique as it is, I don't know how Eli doesn't think 6 or Cloud 3 pre snap with 1 off corner and 1 press corner getting that press corner with a cover 2 responsibility. Maybe he thought it was man, I don't know. The blitz was picked up well too so he had time, but he definitely looked VERY jittery in the pocket. I think this is one of those situations where awful line play led Eli to play worse than he would by developing some bad habits. Definitely an ugly INT. At least the game was over at this point. Literally no reaction from him either which is strange too because usually he throws his hands up mad when on the receiver or chase him down if its on him.

Week: 15
    Opponent: Seahawks
    Down and Distance: 1st and 10 @ NYG 44
    Situation: NYG 3 - SEA 0; 0:16 left in Q1

Offensive Personnel: 21
    Offensive Formation: I formation

Defensive Personnel: Base 43 Under
    Defensive Look Presnap: 2 high press corners. 2 or 2 man

Offensive Play: Fade/Back shoulder I guess, its ugly
    Defensive Play: Roll to cover 3 press

Intercepting Player: Byron Maxwell
    Player(s) at fault: David Diehl, Victor Cruz, Refs

Discussion: This is one that I might get called an Eli apologist for or something of the sorts, but I just can't put it on him. Diehl is sitting in his lap as he throws the ball and he can't bring his foot through as he releases the ball. Eli throws the ball with the DBs back turned in 1 on 1 to Cruz, he needs to be able to make a play on that ball even though the throw was off and if nothing else bat the ball down. It was a 50 50 ball and Cruz lost to their backup corner. Maxwell was literally pushing him away creating separation while the ball was in the air. Blows my mind how the seahawks don't get called for something every other NFL team would, and they get away with it week in and week out.

Down and Distance: 2nd and 14 @ NYG 30
    Situation: NYG 0 - SEA 3 ; 9:13 left in Q2

Defensive Look Presnap: Cover 3 w/ Sherman in Man Press on Nicks

Offensive Play: Drive
    Defensive Play: Cover 3 w/ Sherman in Man Press on Nicks

Intercepting Player: Richard Sherman
    Player(s) at fault: Eli Manning and Hakeem Nicks

Discussion: This is on Eli because theres no one else to blame. We sent 4 receivers out vs 6 in zone coverage vs 3 and 1 in man(Sherman on Nicks) with a 4 man rush. Literally not a soul open on the entire field and I don't blame him for not trusting the line and hanging on and waiting. Nicks was 1 on 1 so its the best opportunity, but its Richard Sherman. Eli lobbed Nicks the ball wanting him to make a play but Sherman was step for step with inside position. Sherman ran the route better than Nicks and had his eyes back at Eli at 8 yards on a vertical. The ball was on target and no one else was open and its generally the right throw, but I think its careless to just throw at Sherman in perfect position and hope your receiver having a down year will make a play. Although maybe Eli just wanted to get him involved and give him a chance and play carefree football with nothing left on the line. Who knows. Lose lose situation on this play, throw it away.

Down and Distance: 1st and 10 @ NYG 40
    Situation: NYG 0 - SEA 13 ; 0:03 left in Q2

Offensive Personnel: 10
    Offensive Formation: Hail Mary Trio

Defensive Personnel: Dime 3 down
    Defensive Look Presnap: Prevent

Offensive Play: Hail Mary
    Defensive Play: Prevent

Intended Receiver: 3 receivers on left in trio, hail mary
    Intercepting Player: Richard Sherman,
    Player(s) at fault: None.

Discussion: Situational prayer. Was actually a great play by Eli in the pocket, too bad he could only reach the 5.

Down and Distance: 1st and 10 @ NYG 21
    Situation: NYG 0 - SEA 16 ; 15:00 left in Q4

Offensive Formation:Gun Trips Open HB Wk

Defensive Look Presnap: 2 high corners pressed

Offensive Play: Mesh I think
    Defensive Play: 2 Man

Intercepting Player: Byron Maxwell
    Player(s) at fault: Eli Manning and Offensive Line

Discussion: Some pressure on Diehl until Boothe saved him, but Mosley got beat and Eli had a free rusher in his face and couldn't set and throw. What else is new. That said, It was a less than 5 yard drag route and Nicks had a step on Maxwell, you should be able to make that throw off your back foot with pressure in your face. Outstanding play by Byron Maxwell, but still need a better throw on a shallow drag even with pressure in your face.

Down and Distance: 2nd and 10 @ SEA 12
    Situation: NYG 0 - SEA 23 ; 4:24 left in Q4

Defensive Look Presnap: Man Free

Offensive Play: Back Endzone Fade Nicks
    Defensive Play: 0 Man Press

Intercepting Player: Earl Thomas

Discussion: Can't crucify Eli for this. Considering the score of the game and the situation, you get 1 on 1 with Nicks and try to get him his first TD. Nicks made a good effort but testing Sherman really isn't a good idea who made a hell of a play to get up there and tip it up and Earl Thomas hustling from the other side of the field gets an INT. Wouldn't have been an INT vs any other team in the league.

Week: 16
    Opponent: Lions
    Down and Distance: 1st & 10 @ DET 29
    Situation: NYG 20 - DET 20 ; 0:28 left in Q4

Defensive Look Presnap: Cover 2

Offensive Play: Verticals

Intended Receiver: Jerrell Jernigan
    Intercepting Player: Glover Quin

Discussion: Suh jumped the count and was offsides and the refs didn't call it. He got penetration forcing Eli to get nervous and throw the ball before he wanted to. Jernigan had bending rights behind the LBs and in front of the safeties and was open. It was the perfect call for that defense. Eli overthrew him in a crucial moment of the game. Poor footwork and technique all around by Eli on this one and he missed him on what most likely would've won the game then and there had he put the ball where it needed to be. Again, I think the offensive line (and refs here) at this point in the season are very much in his head and led him to develop some bad habits. Not concerned going forward.

Week: 17 ----- NOTE: No coaches film for this game =/
    Opponent: Redskins
    Down and Distance: 2nd and 10 @ NYG 44
    Situation: NYG 10 - WAS 3 ; 0:56 left in Q4

Offensive Formation: Gun Trips Open Y Flex HB Wk

Defensive Look Presnap: Cover 6

Offensive Play: Stick
    Defensive Play: Cover 6

Intended Receiver: Brandon Myers
    Intercepting Player: Josh Wilson
    Player(s) at fault: Injury/Offensive LIne/Myers

Discussion: Eli had time but on OL because injury. Eli looks like a statue in the pocket absolutely no footwork and all arm play after what looked like an awful ankle injury (especially considering mid game adrenaline would often make it bearable, especially next play). Myers gets absolutely no separation and gets out-physicaled by EJ Biggers. He's using his left hand to try to gain separation while trying to make a 1 handed catch on a slightly high ball tipping it up in the air for an interception.

vCash
    I may have had a few bits and pieces of opinion and commentary hidden in some of the breakdown, but heres my take.

I think Eli started the season playing a whole hell of a lot better than people give him credit for and the team let him down. Even throughout the season he didn't play nearly as bad as people get on him for and not remotely 27 INTs bad.

However throughout the season you can definitely see him start to struggle a little more and develop some bad habits, especially in his footwork and progressions. I think this can absolutely be attributed to lack of faith in the offensive line and even WRs in some instances, though for the most part Eli has tons of faith in them, too much at times (Note: SEA game).

He's absolutely partially at fault for some of this simply because of his position and you expect better, but given the lack of timing (probably due to both of our biggest receivers missing the offseason) and the horrendous offensive line, its almost inconceivable to ask for more. The miracle of the season is that he wasn't hurt until week 17.

I know its a lot of text, but seriously if you hate Eli read my break down and look up the picks, or even individual ones.

INTs like his 2nd of the season to Jernigan where he runs a short route and make Eli throw look high would never really get noticed by most fans (I didn't until now) and things like that happen all year. Awful season all around but hopefully they got it all out of them. Eli isn't the problem on this team. At all.

Va...heart between Giants Stadium and MSG
    vCash
    I'm still looking over this but is the 1st int correct? It was the first play from scrimmage? That wasn't Beatty fault....it was that idiot Gilbride. It was a stupid call. On Ware's side too.

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 18-1 Signature of a Champion!
    ELI MANNING.... 2X SB MVP....2X SB CHAMPION!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Missing56&33 View Post
    I'm still looking over this but is the 1st int correct? It was the first play from scrimmage? That wasn't Beatty fault....it was that idiot Gilbride. It was a stupid call. On Ware's side too.
    Yep 1st play from scrimmage. Theres a lot in here I'd also like to put on Gilbride but I tried to refrain to for the most part and focus solely on execution

Va...heart between Giants Stadium and MSG
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Yep 1st play from scrimmage. Theres a lot in here I'd also like to put on Gilbride but I tried to refrain to for the most part and focus solely on execution
    I will look over this...great work looking this stuff up but that 1st int was ridiculous...I thought screen plays was designed to trick an overly aggressive defense that has been successful at getting pressure on the QB. And getting penetration in the backfield on run plays?

Usually...(with normal offensive coordinators) it's something called late in a game or a crucial drive in the game...you sometimes here the commentators say....great call by (such an such offensive coordinator) ...usually goes for a big play.

Ware wasn't even in the backfield....but it was clearly a designed play call....trying to utilize DW in space....but the first play of the ****ing season??? Run DW right up the gut...see if he can run on the defensive first before you start out smarting yourself.

Gilbride set the tone for the season on the very first play from scrimmage. But Eli had his best throwing game of the season.....to Nicks, Cruz, and Randle going downfield....his picks was short yardage plays to guys that didn't know what to do.

It's all about making in game adjustments.

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 18-1 Signature of a Champion!
    ELI MANNING.... 2X SB MVP....2X SB CHAMPION!

vCash
    I was praying you'd do this again after the awesome breakdown you did of his 25 INT year. This is awesome and I really hope you consider a career in football teaching or writing/blogging. I've learned more about football from reading your posts over the last 5 years than I have from watching football for over 20 years. Serves me right for playing baseball over football all those years.

Did you use coaches tape for this? NFL Rewind?

It's not easy to rewatch all the bad plays from a year, so kudos to you for that. I think most people never want to look at them again. BTW I hate the word "kudos" so very much, but felt I should use it. Also I'm drunk while reading your breakdown and responding so bear with me. Bare with me? No, bear with me.....yeah, bear........bare......**** you Jose Cuervo

INT 1 - Under players at fault, shouldn't you include Eli? There's no doubt this is MAINLY on Beatty, but Eli has to get noted b/c as you mentioned, the option to throw it in the dirt (or whatever the **** they use in Jerry World) was there and if not a sack is another safe option. I love him for being a risk taker on throws, but this was the first play of the 2013 season. BTW, for all the **** Gilbride takes, this was a BRILLIANT play call. For one, any self-scouting shows that 70% of his first playcalls in games are playaction, often roll outs, and the rest are off-tackle runs. To come out with a screen, from a team that can never run one, is a great way to start that game off with a bang. Second, if you look at the coverage on that play, if they actually get the ball in Wilson's hands and even mediocre blocking, I'm not sure that the play isn't a TD. It was THAT weak on the left side and with Wilson's explosiveness......damn it. Could have changed the pace of that game and the season.

INT 4 - Maybe I'm remembering this wrong, but I think the oline really has to take some blame on this one and RB protection. If he gets even a moderately acceptable amount of time to get the pass off, he might have made a better decision. Again, I might not remember it right, but I don't think Eli completed his drop back on this before being pressured out.

INT 5 - Agreed in theory, but really I can't put THAT much blame on Randle in that coverage. I don't think anyone should be blamed in a flukey play like this. What hurts the most is that we were well in that game to compete to the end until this crappy little play off a foot.

INT 6 - I remember Eli breaking down this play and saying that he knew he didn't have a shot, but on 4th he knew a pick in that area (as long as the tackle is made) wasn't much different than a punt so he put it up to give his guys a shot. Technically Eli is to "blame" but there's nothing wrong with the decision and i'm not sure anyone gets blame; only credit to a good defensive play and pick.

INT 7 - I remember watching a post game discussion on this and I think Randle took the blame (or a coach put it on him?).

INT 10 - I forgot how much this play pissed me off so **** you for reminding me. I don't remember the last time I was THAT pissed about a non-call.

INT 11 - Great defensive play there, but I'm still shocked by how Cruz let that one get away. Its the kind of strip I'd expect in a game played in the rain.

INT 12 - "Then jogged lazily back to the line in a hurry up situation before quitting on the play that was picked off." Thank you. I thought I was the only one who noticed that. At the time I was even more pissed that the announcers completely failed to point it out. The look on Eli's face while running that hurry up and then looking over and seeing Nicks the last man to jog up to the line was priceless. I thought he was gonna strangle him. At the same time, I'm also surprised he even gave Nicks a shot at that after the way he got to the line. Would have even thought a possible injury with the way he lazied back to the line and not gone in his direction. not that I blame Eli; right read, put the ball exactly where it should be and Nicks just stopped. Reminded me of Manningham in that 2011 reg season 49ers game. Stopping on his route and giving away the game.

INT 13 - I hope I'm not confusing this with INT 14, but I think Randle owned up to this one and its the one where Eli was on the sideline going over body language with Randle. Randle was supposed to give him some kind of a clue (Eli reference a shoulder fake or something) on his intent and he didn't and just ran.

INT 20 - "Literally no reaction from him either which is strange too because usually he throws his hands up mad when on the receiver or chase him down if its on him." San Diego was when i first started seeing Eli react in a way where was basically expecting to be sacked on every play and not that he gave up, but certainly wasn't surprised anymore by playing shell-shocked and adversley effecting his game.

INT 27 - How Eli even lined up under center with a high-ankle sprain is beyond me. All those beating by Peyton and Cooper (who said they'd get frustrated because no matter what, Eli would never cry) had a lasting effect. This guy is a warrior with more heart than some of the Giants fan base deserves. Browns fans would **** their pants if they woke up tomorrow with a QB like Eli.

This was awesome. Thanks again man

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Missing56&33 View Post
    I will look over this...great work looking this stuff up but that 1st int was ridiculous...I thought screen plays was designed to trick an overly aggressive defense that has been successful at getting pressure on the QB. And getting penetration in the backfield on run plays?

Usually...(with normal offensive coordinators) it's something called late in a game or a crucial drive in the game...you sometimes here the commentators say....great call by (such an such offensive coordinator) ...usually goes for a big play.

Ware wasn't even in the backfield....but it was clearly a designed play call....trying to utilize DW in space....but the first play of the ****ing season??? Run DW right up the gut...see if he can run on the defensive first before you start out smarting yourself.

Gilbride set the tone for the season on the very first play from scrimmage. But Eli had his best throwing game of the season.....to Nicks, Cruz, and Randle going downfield....his picks was short yardage plays to guys that didn't know what to do.

It's all about making in game adjustments.
    If you get a chance check the coach film or even the breakdown on giants.com (I think O'Hara did it). It's actually a great play call IMO. If that ball gets past Ware (and if Beatty does the job he was paid A LOT OF MONEY to do, the ball does get past) to Wilson, he's gone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    I was praying you'd do this again after the awesome breakdown you did of his 25 INT year. This is awesome and I really hope you consider a career in football teaching or writing/blogging. I've learned more about football from reading your posts over the last 5 years than I have from watching football for over 20 years. Serves me right for playing baseball over football all those years.
    Glad someone reads them lol

Did you use coaches tape for this? NFL Rewind?
    Yea mostly coaches film in NFL game rewind. I've had it since before they came out with coaches film but last year I didn't really have time to use it so I didn't get it this year. Just used a free trial to rewatch all the games and decided I'd do this so I can having something to link to for braindead morons who think Eli suck without having to reiterate myself 100 times over in the offseason only for people to not even read it lol

It's not easy to rewatch all the bad plays from a year, so kudos to you for that. I think most people never want to look at them again.
    I watched every game, it doesn't take that long with the coaches film. This was just long because of a lot of rewinding, pausing, and writing and such. I love watching bad plays, they eat at you but you learn.

INT 1 - Under players at fault, shouldn't you include Eli? There's no doubt this is MAINLY on Beatty, but Eli has to get noted b/c as you mentioned, the option to throw it in the dirt (or whatever the **** they use in Jerry World) was there and if not a sack is another safe option. I love him for being a risk taker on throws, but this was the first play of the 2013 season. BTW, for all the **** Gilbride takes, this was a BRILLIANT play call. For one, any self-scouting shows that 70% of his first playcalls in games are playaction, often roll outs, and the rest are off-tackle runs. To come out with a screen, from a team that can never run one, is a great way to start that game off with a bang. Second, if you look at the coverage on that play, if they actually get the ball in Wilson's hands and even mediocre blocking, I'm not sure that the play isn't a TD. It was THAT weak on the left side and with Wilson's explosiveness......damn it. Could have changed the pace of that game and the season.
    Dont think it would've been a touchdown because one of the DBs had a good enough reaction coming down hill to possibly slow it up and Sean Lee occupied two blockers. But Wilson in space would've undoubtedly been a big play. I'm half with you and half with the other guy, love the call but don't like running it at Ware. That said, it was there and just took execution from 1 more player. Don't think it would've changed the course of the season in the grand scheme of things, the offense never would've been able to execute consistently behind that line.

I've got to think Eli's mindset was that theres no way in hell anyone is retracing on a PA screen on the first play of the season. Its a safe call because as soon as they see playaction you figure they're balls out to the QB. I mean its the first play of the season emotion and adrenaline all over the place. Plus, the ball was coming out of Eli's hand as Ware planted to retrace and he began throwing while he was still rushing. I'm not faulting Eli on this one because it looks worse than it is.

INT 4 - Maybe I'm remembering this wrong, but I think the oline really has to take some blame on this one and RB protection. If he gets even a moderately acceptable amount of time to get the pass off, he might have made a better decision. Again, I might not remember it right, but I don't think Eli completed his drop back on this before being pressured out.
    No, it looked like bad blocking but the OL and back block the protection called which is mostly set by Eli in our offense. He had to get rid of it because of a free rusher based on protection, not because the OL or RB got beat. In an ideal world Snee makes a great adjustment coming back on the blitzing backer and Wilson sees that and adjust to the free blitzing DB, but you really just cant ask for that, its more of a benefit if it happens.

INT 5 - Agreed in theory, but really I can't put THAT much blame on Randle in that coverage. I don't think anyone should be blamed in a flukey play like this. What hurts the most is that we were well in that game to compete to the end until this crappy little play off a foot.
    Yea, we had a lot of flukey plays like that on passes that should've just been incompletions instead of INTs (what else is new), but if its better executed you don't put yourself in that situation. Randle just ran an awful route and was completely outphysicaled at the line and couldn't get off the press on the slant. Thats bad. I wont kill him for it but thats far from what you want from a #1 receiver which he may be asked to be next year.

INT 6 - I remember Eli breaking down this play and saying that he knew he didn't have a shot, but on 4th he knew a pick in that area (as long as the tackle is made) wasn't much different than a punt so he put it up to give his guys a shot. Technically Eli is to "blame" but there's nothing wrong with the decision and i'm not sure anyone gets blame; only credit to a good defensive play and pick.
    Agreed. The pick was in the endzone so its really irrelevant and it was the only possible receiver to throw to. Looked like Randle was going to get a step on a flat footed safety and have 1 on 1 with inside position which is exactly where Eli put it, but maybe a little too much ark and not enough length let both safeties back into the play. Absolutely a great play by the weakside safety to get underneath the ball. Just a bad playcall into that coverage too. I agree, Eli is to "blame" but if I was counting INTs where I say Eli needs to do something better, this isn't one of them.

INT 7 - I remember watching a post game discussion on this and I think Randle took the blame (or a coach put it on him?).
    Yea I would expect that. Considering the situation it would make much more sense to go vertical on 1 on 1 than sit. If Nicks didn't have the same route on the top, sitting at the sticks, I would've definitely put it on Randle. I kind of expected Eli wouldn't do something that brainless, but I wasn't trying to relieve him of all fault, especially without knowing. Tried to break it down without bias. Definitely would think moreso that it was on Randle if bias and knowledge of Eli and Randle were involved.

INT 10 - I forgot how much this play pissed me off so **** you for reminding me. I don't remember the last time I was THAT pissed about a non-call.
    fkn refs. At least the announcers mentioned it like 500 times the rest of the game so hopefully the league took notice.

INT 12 - "Then jogged lazily back to the line in a hurry up situation before quitting on the play that was picked off." Thank you. I thought I was the only one who noticed that. At the time I was even more pissed that the announcers completely failed to point it out. The look on Eli's face while running that hurry up and then looking over and seeing Nicks the last man to jog up to the line was priceless. I thought he was gonna strangle him. At the same time, I'm also surprised he even gave Nicks a shot at that after the way he got to the line. Would have even thought a possible injury with the way he lazied back to the line and not gone in his direction. not that I blame Eli; right read, put the ball exactly where it should be and Nicks just stopped. Reminded me of Manningham in that 2011 reg season 49ers game. Stopping on his route and giving away the game.
    Got to trust all 10 others on the field. Can't play football with less than 11, if you do that you're drastically inhibiting yourself and promoting development of bad tendencies.

INT 13 - I hope I'm not confusing this with INT 14, but I think Randle owned up to this one and its the one where Eli was on the sideline going over body language with Randle. Randle was supposed to give him some kind of a clue (Eli reference a shoulder fake or something) on his intent and he didn't and just ran.
    If you're referring to the sights and sounds clip, I really don't think that was in reference to either interception because those are generally chronological and Eli talking about the shoulder came after the INTs to Randle. I don't think theres a chance in hell INT 13 is on anyone except Eli. Even if Randle could've done a lot better, I think you just have to eat the sack there considering the pressure and inability to let routes develop. Eli threw a hitch while the corners hips were to him and eyes in the backfield. No bueno.

INT 20 - "Literally no reaction from him either which is strange too because usually he throws his hands up mad when on the receiver or chase him down if its on him." San Diego was when i first started seeing Eli react in a way where was basically expecting to be sacked on every play and not that he gave up, but certainly wasn't surprised anymore by playing shell-shocked and adversley effecting his game.
    Agreed, but even on some after where it was definitely a miscommunication on the receiver you could see a hand gesture pointing in the direction he wanted the receiver to go. I find it funny.

INT 27 - How Eli even lined up under center with a high-ankle sprain is beyond me. All those beating by Peyton and Cooper (who said they'd get frustrated because no matter what, Eli would never cry) had a lasting effect. This guy is a warrior with more heart than some of the Giants fan base deserves. Browns fans would **** their pants if they woke up tomorrow with a QB like Eli.

This was awesome. Thanks again man
    Got to love Eli for that. And you got it. I hate saying something without being able to back it up and generally don't have the time or patience to back it up so now I have this to fall back on.

vCash
    Ha, appreciate ya reading and responding to all that. While I consider myself more knowledgeable than the average fan, I'm also readily aware of the huge amount of ignorance I still have regarding the finer points of football.

Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Yea mostly coaches film in NFL game rewind. I've had it since before they came out with coaches film but last year I didn't really have time to use it so I didn't get it this year. Just used a free trial to rewatch all the games and decided I'd do this so I can having something to link to for braindead morons who think Eli suck without having to reiterate myself 100 times over in the offseason only for people to not even read it lol
    Always debate getting NFL Rewind. Is it worth it in your opinion?

Dont think it would've been a touchdown because one of the DBs had a good enough reaction coming down hill to possibly slow it up and Sean Lee occupied two blockers. But Wilson in space would've undoubtedly been a big play. I'm half with you and half with the other guy, love the call but don't like running it at Ware. That said, it was there and just took execution from 1 more player. Don't think it would've changed the course of the season in the grand scheme of things, the offense never would've been able to execute consistently behind that line.
    I'm not sure I like running it on the right side though and trusting a rookie RT to make that play in his first NFL game and first snap. Of course, hindsight now says they probably would be better going to that side.

What I can't understand is how this team can NEVER run a screen successfully. What is it exactly? At this point it's literally a running gag in post game interviews with Coughlin, Eli and Gilbride. They'll laugh and kind of throw their hands up like they can't figure it out either. Which is funny b/c when Eli was a rookie and Tiki was there, the play was money. Maybe it's just having a weaker oline now and none of them wanted to call out those players?

No, it looked like bad blocking but the OL and back block the protection called which is mostly set by Eli in our offense. He had to get rid of it because of a free rusher based on protection, not because the OL or RB got beat. In an ideal world Snee makes a great adjustment coming back on the blitzing backer and Wilson sees that and adjust to the free blitzing DB, but you really just cant ask for that, its more of a benefit if it happens.
    Just looked up that play and watched again. Yeah that makes total sense now.

Yea, we had a lot of flukey plays like that on passes that should've just been incompletions instead of INTs (what else is new), but if its better executed you don't put yourself in that situation. Randle just ran an awful route and was completely outphysicaled at the line and couldn't get off the press on the slant. Thats bad. I wont kill him for it but thats far from what you want from a #1 receiver which he may be asked to be next year.
    I thought the route looked good, but again I'm a novice with this stuff. What was wrong with the way he ran it? To me it seemed like he ran the slant well, but it was just really great coverage. Maybe he should have fought for better position on it to get inside of the back?

fkn refs. At least the announcers mentioned it like 500 times the rest of the game so hopefully the league took notice.
    Refs had a real rough year all around. Seemed like there were more bad calls in bigger spots this year than last year. If these were "replacement refs" we'd never hear the end of it, but seems like these guys all get a pass. For instance, that Bears-Packers game in week 17 that they destroyed.

Got to trust all 10 others on the field. Can't play football with less than 11, if you do that you're drastically inhibiting yourself and promoting development of bad tendencies.
    Very true. I just don't know I trust a guy who just 10 seconds prior clearly showed he didn't have his head in the game. But Eli is really a redemption guy. He'll go right back at the guy who wants to prove himself better than his previous crap play (see Tyree touchdown SB XLII).

If you're referring to the sights and sounds clip, I really don't think that was in reference to either interception because those are generally chronological and Eli talking about the shoulder came after the INTs to Randle. I don't think theres a chance in hell INT 13 is on anyone except Eli. Even if Randle could've done a lot better, I think you just have to eat the sack there considering the pressure and inability to let routes develop. Eli threw a hitch while the corners hips were to him and eyes in the backfield. No bueno.
    I trust your take, but even watching it again right now it just seems like they each saw different things on the play and its as much on Randle. I didn't catch Eli's mannerisms after that play to indicate anything though, so I don't know.

Agreed, but even on some after where it was definitely a miscommunication on the receiver you could see a hand gesture pointing in the direction he wanted the receiver to go. I find it funny.
    Gotta love it. The Murphy mistakes were what drove me nuts. I don't think I heard more about any player not named Cruz making plays in camp more than Murphy. Hyped him up big time. Maybe he'll return and continue to grow, but I dunno.

Got to love Eli for that. And you got it. I hate saying something without being able to back it up and generally don't have the time or patience to back it up so now I have this to fall back on.
    You should put the link to this thread in your sig haha. Not that it matters. The Eli hating trolls of the NFL forum will barely read most of the words and continue to fall back on numbers and stats over real analysis.

vCash
    I wonder how many ( if any) picks came on plays where they snapped the ball with less than 3 secs on the play clock. It seems like Eli was/is ALWAYS rushing to get the snap off.I know some QBs do it 2 maybe 3 times a game but we do it, it seems like every play. If you combine rushing with the fact that Eli didn't/couldn't trust his line, combined with many option routes, well you get disaster IMO

Mike Woodson NYK

Record ... 72 - 34

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elledaddy View Post
    I wonder how many ( if any) picks came on plays where they snapped the ball with less than 3 secs on the play clock. It seems like Eli was/is ALWAYS rushing to get the snap off.I know some QBs do it 2 maybe 3 times a game but we do it, it seems like every play. If you combine rushing with the fact that Eli didn't/couldn't trust his line, combined with many option routes, well you get disaster IMO
    Eli has audible rights and spends a lot of time at the line reading the D. Of course there is a big issue with getting playcalls in on time, but a lot is what Eli does at the line and if we had coaches who were willing to give up more control to Eli this issue would go away. Let him run a few drives (more than just 2 min drills). I think if they did we'd see a few more no-huddle situations when Eli gets personnel matchups he likes.

But we've always had old man Gilbride who plays it like a chess match. Nice and slow and wants to think out and call every play instead of turning his QB loose.

vCash
    what I consider bad interceptions are those that come when we have the lead. the worst you can do when you have the lead is punt the ball.

23 of eli's 27 interceptions came when we were either tied or trailing. those are the times you want your qb to make something happen. and with no running game all season eli had to force alot of throws.

vCash
    Always debate getting NFL Rewind. Is it worth it in your opinion?
    I enjoy it when I get the time to use it. Could use a little more functionality and a better layout, but access to coaches film is outstanding. I had it in college because we'd have meetings on sundays so I couldn't watch Giants games and I'd watch it on then. When they game out with coaches tape it was awesome, but I never really had time to watch it as much as I'd have liked. So it wasn't worth it for me this year, but if I had the money and time definitely.

What I can't understand is how this team can NEVER run a screen successfully. What is it exactly? At this point it's literally a running gag in post game interviews with Coughlin, Eli and Gilbride. They'll laugh and kind of throw their hands up like they can't figure it out either. Which is funny b/c when Eli was a rookie and Tiki was there, the play was money. Maybe it's just having a weaker oline now and none of them wanted to call out those players?
    Blows my ****ing mind. Either unathletic linemen missing blocks in space (although even when Snee was flying out murdering dudes our screens were still mediocre) or a severe lack of timing from practice or inability to practice with hitting. I'm not sure. I can barely stand to watch it. Its always ugly and always for a different reason.

I thought the route looked good, but again I'm a novice with this stuff. What was wrong with the way he ran it? To me it seemed like he ran the slant well, but it was just really great coverage. Maybe he should have fought for better position on it to get inside of the back?
    He wasn't expecting to be pressed at 4 yards and didn't run his route with any sort of physicality or assertiveness and allowed the CB to get his hands on him and stop his momentum, preventing him from getting any sort of separation on the cut. Rookie stuff. He'll be better once he plays as much with his head as he does with his legs and arms. I hope.

I trust your take, but even watching it again right now it just seems like they each saw different things on the play and its as much on Randle. I didn't catch Eli's mannerisms after that play to indicate anything though, so I don't know.
    FWIW Mayock crucified Eli for that one as well I do believe. I like Mayock

You should put the link to this thread in your sig haha. Not that it matters. The Eli hating trolls of the NFL forum will barely read most of the words and continue to fall back on numbers and stats over real analysis.
    Ha I completely forgot about sigs I have them turned off

Quote Originally Posted by elledaddy View Post
    Oh yea. I didn't track this but it was most definitely a trend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast