Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

O.C. Kevin Gilbride Retires at 62

EAST RUTHERFORD -- Kevin Gilbride's seven-year run as Giants offensive coordinator appears to be days away from coming to an end.

There are high-ranking officials in the Giants organization that believe Gilbride will be fired, according to a source with knowledge of the organization's thinking. And the belief is that unless something surprising occurs in organizational meetings over the next week, the Giants will have a new offensive coordinator next season.

Among the chief reasons for the change: the regression of quarterback Eli Manning, who threw a franchise record 27 interceptions this season.

It may take some time before the move is made official. The Giants are in the process of an organization evaluation that head coach Tom Coughlin said could stretch into next week.

The source said it's unlikely Coughlin will put his job on the line for Gilbride.

Owner John Mara declined to comment on any specific coaching move, but he did say there would be "some changes that are going to be made in the entire organization, and whether (a coaching change) ends up being one of them or not, I'd rather wait until we had those discussions first."

Coughlin and Gilbride go back to their days with the Jacksonville Jaguars when Gilbride was the offensive coordinator in 1995 and 1996 and Coughlin was the head coach. When Coughlin was hired to be the Giants head coach in 2004, he brought Gilbride into the organization as the quarterbacks coach. Gilbride later was promoted to offensive coordinator.

But even Coughlin wouldn't guarantee the jobs of anyone on his staff Monday after the Giants finished the season 7-9, missed the playoffs for the fourth time in five years and Mara labeled the offense "broken."

“(Changes to the coaching staff), that certainly will all be discussed throughout the course of this week. Everything will be evaluated,” Coughlin said. “I have great confidence in this group of men we’ve had here in this coaching staff. And I believe in them strongly.”

But it became obvious when Mara spoke some 30 minutes later that the offense was his primary concern. The Giants finished 28th in total offense, 29th in rushing offense, 19th in passing offense and 28th in points per game. Manning (18 touchdowns, 29 turnovers) also had the worst season of his career.

“I think our offense is broken right now, and we need to fix that,” Mara said.

The Giants owner even seemed to point fingers at his offensive coordinator when asked about third-year wide receiver Jerrel Jernigan, who made his first significant contribution as a Giant in the final two games of the season.

“I’m not sure why it took us three years to find out Jerrel Jernigan could play. We finally put him in the game and he starts making plays,” Mara said. “Sometimes you have to put younger players in the game and give them a chance to fail, or succeed.

“It’s true not only of him but some other guys, too. It would have been nice if he had gotten in earlier. You know, that is not my decision.”

Personnel decisions during games usually fall into the hands of the coordinators. But that is far from the only gripe about Gilbride inside the Giants organization. There were a "lot of things," according to a source.

Along with Manning's subpar play, there have been questions about Gilbride's play-calling, which played a part in Manning's interceptions.

“He’s still the face of the franchise and we need to help him,” Mara said. “We need to give him some better tools and do a better job around him next year.”

It appears that begins by replacing one of the voices in Manning's ear.

One of the names likely to surface as a replacement is former Giants assistant Mike Sullivan, who was let go by the Bucs on Monday when they fired head coach Greg Schiano. Sullivan, the Giants' former quarterbacks coach, was Tampa Bay's offensive coordinator the previous two seasons.

"We obviously think very highly of him," Mara said.
    I know there is a coaches thread G. Just felt this deserved it's own. If not. You can obviously move it to that thread.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...urce_says.html

vCash

vCash
    THANK GOD! I love this. Gillbride is just not creative in his play calling at all and downright putrid in the redzone. Its time to go. There is way too much talent on that offense to fail so badly.

I like Sullivan too. He has worked well with Eli before and can use some of the same offense while being more creative with his system. Well HOPEFULLY.
    “It's still a game and you'd rather win it than lose it.”

There is An Angel in CitiField- LETS GO METS!

Proud to be PSD's "The Kid"

New York Giants-2012 World Champions

SuperMann #10, Superman wears Eli Pajamas

vCash

Offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride likely to be fired by Giants, source says

Oh no you're right. This certainly deserves it's own thread. Something giants fans have wanted for years.

I hate celebrating the firing of anyone and especially a guy with two SB rings, but I think the times of te NFL have passed his system by. This year was unacceptable, regardless of how bad the oline was. Everything was out of whack from day one.

I wish the best for him, he does seem like a great guy, but his play calling drives me insane and the fact that he didn't adjust the scheme when everything went bad.

It's Sullivan time. No doubt.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PraiseJesus View Post
    My PREDICITON OF LEBRON GOING TO THE KNICKS WAS SPOT ON!!!!

JUST AS ALL MINE ARE.

I'M NEVER WRONG

FREE MY SOURCE PraiseJesus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Oh no you're right. This certainly deserves it's own thread. Something giants fans have wanted for years.

I hate celebrating the firing of anyone and especially a guy with two SB rings, but I think the times of te NFL have passed his system by. This year was unacceptable, regardless of how bad the oline was. Everything was out of whack from day one.

I wish the best for him, he does seem like a great guy, but his play calling drives me insane and the fact that he didn't adjust the scheme when everything went bad.

I whole-heartedly agree with everything in this post except the last line. No, please god no.
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

vCash
    ^I have a strong feeling that Sullivan will be the guy because hes a Coughlin guy. It will make it an easier pill to swallow for Tom losing Killdrive

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post

I whole-heartedly agree with everything in this post except the last line. No, please god no.
    Why anti-Sullivan? Seems like it would be similar enough to keep Eli in his comfort zone but different enough to advance the potential of these WRs.

Any names you'd prefer?

What is really love is Norv if he left CLE.

vCash

Offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride likely to be fired by Giants, source says

Watch them promote Gilbride Jr to OC haha

vCash
    Watch them promote Gilbride Jr to OC haha
    This is my worst nightmare
    Last edited by lvlheaded; 12-30-2013 at 08:40 PM.

vCash
    I don't want Sullivan.... If Norv is a available get him ASAP

JUST AS ALL MINE ARE.

I'M NEVER WRONG

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lvlheaded View Post
    ^I have a strong feeling that Sullivan will be the guy because hes a Coughlin guy. It will make it an easier pill to swallow for Tom losing Killdrive
    He's not a good coordnator IMO.

JUST AS ALL MINE ARE.

I'M NEVER WRONG

vCash
    Why anti-Sullivan? Seems like it would be similar enough to keep Eli in his comfort zone but different enough to advance the potential of these WRs.

Any names you'd prefer?

Too similar for my liking, I want fresh, I want new.

I want Eli and everyone else taken out of their comfort zone, adversity is a beautiful thing. Force them to adjust. Let them learn new perspectives. Let them thrive or fail, sick of all the in between every year.
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

vCash
    thank u jesus.................now s%$t can fewell and it will be the start of a great off season !!!!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post

Any names you'd prefer?

Too similar for my liking, I want fresh, I want new.

I want Eli and everyone else taken out of their comfort zone, adversity is a beautiful thing. Force them to adjust. Let them learn new perspectives. Let them thrive or fail, sick of all the in between every year.
    Coughlin will be the one replacing Gilbride so I'm not expecting anything too drastic really.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast