Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

backup QB situation

I think its a given that while Geno has had his issues, he has shown enough (mental strength & improving play) that he is the starter going into camp next season

I am a huge fan of David Garrard and would love for us to keep him as a coach, but realistically I cannot see any chance at all he ever starts an NFL game again. He just isnt healthy enough.

Mark Sanchez has to be gone from a salary cap point of view (and its his only chance of rebuilding his career and making something of his physical talent)

_

Where does that leave us? Is Simms good enough to be the backup next year?

Should we look to draft a higher risk prospect?

Should we look to pick up a solid QB who is at the stage of his career where he will be backup (someone like Matt Moore, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Josh Freeman - not necessarily those players specifically, but someone of that calibre)

Or should we pick someone up on the edges of the league (ie someone like Brady Quinn or dare I say Tim Tebow...)

_

I think our priority has to be playmaking WR's and a top 15 TE in terms of player acquisition, but I would be pretty worried about handing the team to Simms if Geno is injured or does have a real dip in form next season.
    _

Adopt a Jet

Bilal Powell - 2013 season
    155 carries, 621 yards, 1TD
    35 receptions, 276 yards, 0 TDs

vCash
    Legitimate concerns. Garrard as a mentor to Geno is great and all but he would be of better use as a coaching assistant and not as a roster spot.

At this point I would say the most logical thing would be to bring in a vet QB who could push Geno, win if he's thrust into the lineup, and mentor Geno as well. Continue to develop Simms as a 3rd string or draft a mid-round guy to develop. Someone like David Fales if he falls far enough.

vCash
    I think we should look for a QB in the draft around the 4th-5th round (although only in the 4th round if someone pretty good falls, like Mettenberger, who I would absolutely love on our team), in addition to signing a solid backup QB (I wonder how much money McCown will get?). I'd take Simms on the practice squad but I don't think he makes sense as a backup. To me, a backup QB needs to be a true "game manager" type or a guy who is a high ceiling project...I don't think Simms counts as either.

vCash
    Been saying this for months. QB I 4th/5th (Murray/Fales/Mettenberger) even though I doubt they fall to the 4th.

Sign a cheap backup. Shaun Hill would be IDEAL, Henne has a backup option

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets012 View Post
    Been saying this for months. QB I 4th/5th (Murray/Fales/Mettenberger) even though I doubt they fall to the 4th.

Sign a cheap backup. Shaun Hill would be IDEAL, Henne has a backup option
    Henne makes most sense. Spent first 3 years in league with David Lee.

vCash
    For the right price, Mark Sanchez is the ideal NFL back-up QB.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Greet View Post
    For the right price, Mark Sanchez is the ideal NFL back-up QB.
    That's pretty funny considering your signature GIF
    Twitter: SteveMcG87

vCash
    the jets would do themselves a favor by getting a legitimate veteran back up ready to step in to start. not saying he is starting. however it should be a true battle for starter.

the jets realistically didn't have a real back up. I still don't understand why sign brady Quinn and let him go. do the jets really want someone better then geno. do they want geno to be the starter.

the jets had every opportunity to find a quarterback sitting at home, to come in learn the playbook and be ready if geno got injured, or when he hit the rookie wall. the jets chose garrod.

Its funny how mark waited to have surgery, so he couldn't play this season. who was the smart guy to allow that. I feel the jets let an opportunity slip. by not having a viable qb ready to go for the playoff push. I hope this mistake is corrected.

so the jets better get a veteran in here and it better not be vick. he is injury about to happen.

vCash
    What we need is a QB with a few years experience starting in the NFL. Someone with obvious flaws in his game, but can step in if Geno starts to implode. Some experience in the playoffs would be nice, especially playing on the road in a hostile environment. Someone who won't get much play as a starter around the league, but someone who numerous teams would be OK bringing in as strictly the second team QB...

Holy crap, I just described Mark Sanchez...Ahhhh!!!!!

Seriously though, think Kyle Orton will be available?

Wide Load Beast Of The Green & White Northeast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by XtraPoint View Post
    That's pretty funny considering your signature GIF
    Who is Sanchez even trying to throw the ball to in that .gif?

Wide Load Beast Of The Green & White Northeast

vCash
    It will be Garrard again if the leaked info from David is to be believed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CannibalPanda View Post
    Who is Sanchez even trying to throw the ball to in that .gif?
    Looks like d'brickashaw
    Twitter: SteveMcG87

vCash
    There's a slight chance that mark sanchez doesn't get cut, ideally if you think about it, sanchez is better than any backup qb avaliable. If geno was to get hurt sanchez would be the man id want with the ball he knows the system and starting in the nfl. Pay cut? Or restructure? Or cut and resign idk ?

vCash
    Based on what I heard at the press conference today, I think a vet and a draft pick will be used on a QB. Idzik didn't sound like he was sold on Geno being a franchise caliber QB IMO. In the draft, Mettenberger is the QB I want the Jets to draft. As far as a vet, I think Henne (because of his connection to Lee) or maybe Orton could be possibilities.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ROSSBOSS View Post
    There's a slight chance that mark sanchez doesn't get cut, ideally if you think about it, sanchez is better than any backup qb avaliable. If geno was to get hurt sanchez would be the man id want with the ball he knows the system and starting in the nfl. Pay cut? Or restructure? Or cut and resign idk ?
    But surely Mark is going to cost us a LOT more than any other backup QB?

If he cost 2 million I would be fine with him being the backup, but I cant see him taking that contract.

_

Henne is a very good call. Jax are obviously going to draft a QB and the fact that have kept Gabbert as long as they have means they must see something in him so I guess they'll keep him as a backup.

Henne is never going to set any NFL passing records, but he's decent and good enough to start if we needed him.
    _

Adopt a Jet

Bilal Powell - 2013 season
    155 carries, 621 yards, 1TD
    35 receptions, 276 yards, 0 TDs

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast