Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Vikings head coach Leslie Frazier fired

Leslie Frazier | MIN
    (December 30, 2013 9:01 AM EST)

Vikings fired coach Leslie Frazier.

Frazier led the Vikings to a surprising Wild Card berth a year ago and posted a respectable 4-3-1 mark in the second half of this season despite having Adrian Peterson injured and Matt Cassel as his starting quarterback. It wasn't enough. Frazier finishes his three full years at the helm with a 19-29-1 record and one playoff appearance. "Unfortunately, we did not achieve consistent success and did not achieve the progress we expected," GM Rick Spielman said in a statement. "We believe a coaching change is needed to help build a successful team moving forward." CBS' Jason La Canfora reported a few weeks ago that the Vikings had reached out to Penn State's Bill O'Brien. Broncos OC Adam Gase, Bengals OC Jay Gruden and Broncos DC Jack Del Rio are already getting linked to the vacancy. Gruden and Spielman have the same agent.

Rotoworld
    Last edited by VCU4LIFEGOVIKS; 12-30-2013 at 10:01 AM.

vCash
    Bitter sweet because I do respect him and like him but at the end of the day we just didn't win enough football games. Good luck Leslie.

Side note: IMO let's pay our respects to Frazier on this thread and talk future coaches on the existing coach thread so were not jumping from thread to thread.

Adopt-A-Viking: Harrison Smith
    Tackles: 23, INTs: 2, Sacks: 0

vCash
    From day one those of us against the Ponder pick and those of us for the Ponder pick did agreed that Leslie Frazier's future of the Minnesota Vikings rode on the arm of Christian Ponder.
    We made it to the 2010 Championship game, went into the famed Superdome and kicked the Saints ***. Unfortunately the Saints had lady luck and the zebras on their side. The following 2010 season was a mess as we all know. Then we hire our very likeable DC as head coach. And with the #12 pick in the draft we select QB from FSU Christian Ponder, not a name that was on everybody's lips.
    Three years later we our about as far from a Superbowl team as you can get.
    My biggest fear is that we're going to do it all over again. I don't think even picking at #8 in this draft that we will get our franchise QB.
    Just heard the Browns just fired their first year HC. And they are hell bound to get that franchise QB and they'll use both first rd. picks to do it.
    The Browns, Texans, Jags., all pick before us and all have to get a QB. In my mind there is only 1 true first rd. QB- Teddy.
    A new coach will have a long string, I hope he doesn't panic and pick some 3rd. rd. QB with the #8 pick overall. There will be a all pro defensive player there and we will need him. I think we should even do a trade to get a high pick for next year. Live with Cassel next year. Then try to get a Hundley, Winston, Mariota next year.
    I'm waiting to see how these guys do in their bowl games. Mariota plays Texas tonight.
    It would be nice if we could get a great QB that we can all agree with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pacofunk64 View Post
    Bitter sweet because I do respect him and like him but at the end of the day we just didn't win enough football games. Good luck Leslie.

Side note: IMO let's pay our respects to Frazier on this thread and talk future coaches on the existing coach thread so were not jumping from thread to thread.
    Good Point Funk, One thing we all agreed on was Leslie Frazier is a very good man, and we really wanted him to succeed.
    You heard it here first. Chicago Bears will fire their DC and hire old #21 to be their new DC, Leslie will be back home in Chicago.

vCash
    To see Jay Gruden's name linked to us makes me very happy.

vCash
    agreed re bitter sweet....I like Leslie the person a lot...

what makes me the happiest is that it also means Musgrave is gone.........or it better
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

vCash
    i heard we might be interested in kevin sumlin and possibly david shaw for college coaches

vCash
    I wonder if frazier showed any emotion as he was canned. Cuz he sure never did on the sidelines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iowavike View Post
    You heard it here first. Chicago Bears will fire their DC and hire old #21 to be their new DC, Leslie will be back home in Chicago.
    Makes sense...makes a lot of sense actually.

vCash
    Vikings
    Fired head coach Leslie Frazier.

• Tale of the Tape: 5-10-1 in 2013; 21-32-1 in the regular season over four years and three full seasons; 0-1 in the postseason.

• What Went Wrong: The Vikings were never able to find their franchise quarterback during Frazier’s tenure, and that was the biggest part of Frazier’s downfall. They tried with Florida State’s Christian Ponder in the first round of the 2011 draft, but Ponder was simply too limited. Veteran Matt Cassel was decent enough, but hardly an overwhelming talent. The Vikings picked Josh Freeman up off the scrap heap and inexplicably gave him $3 million to start one game, play terribly and sit on the bench the rest of the season after Freeman was released from Tampa Bay.

In addition, Frazier and general manager Rick Spielman were unable to re-frame Minnesota’s formerly impressive defense. The secondary has been singularly unimpressive, young pass-rushers have been hard to find outside of Brian Robison, and Frazier’s adherence to Cover-2 and Tampa-2 principles at the expense of the flexibility demanded by today’s NFL probably sealed his fate. Basically, without Adrian Peterson rushing for over 2,000 yards in 2012, Frazier’s coaching tenure would be almost completely unremarkable. It was time for a change.

• Roster Outlook: The Vikings clearly need that franchise quarterback, and they’ll have a high pick to find one. Peterson seems to have superhuman regenerative powers, the offensive line is pretty solid and Cordarrelle Patterson showed enough as a rookie receiver to get people really excited.

The defense is the problem. Jared Allen may be gone, the linebackers are not world-class in a general sense (Chad Greenway makes a lot of plays on both sides of the good/bad ledger) and the cornerbacks are among the worst in the league, rookie Xavier Rhodes excepted. The team needs new schematic ideas on both sides of the ball, and the kind of players able to make a real difference around a few freakishly talented cogs.

• Possible Replacement(s): Darrell Bevell, James Franklin, Kevin Sumlin. The Vikings are said to prefer a college coach, perhaps to assist in future drafts.
    http://nfl.si.com/2013/12/29/nfl-bla...ker/?eref=sihp

vCash
    bringing Darrel Bevell would be funny. I would of rather stuck with frazier.

I dont want a college coach, i wish they would hire a established nfl coach.

vCash
    Bevell reminds me of Scott Linehan. Good OC but I just don't see that "IT" factor in him as a coach. BUT I will sadly admit that I said the same thing about Sean Peyton many year ago, lol.

vCash
    Bitter sweet. Good guy who the players respected, but didn't translate to wins. Next step is letting go Musgrave and Williams.

Straight Flash Homey

vCash
    Wish the best of luck to him, great guy but had no balls when push came to shove ...... Musgrave needs the GTFO next, toss Williams too... clean slate, now is the time for an effective defensive scheme change

vCash
    Leslie Frazier - DT - Free Agent
    Jan 1 - 1:47 PM

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports Leslie Frazier is expected to be Lovie Smith's defensive coordinator wherever Smith lands a job as a head coach.

Frazier and Smith both adhere to Cover-2 and Tampa-2 defensive principles. Frazier worked under Tony Dungy in Indianapolis in the mid-2000s, and Smith worked under Dungy in Tampa Bay in the late-1990s. There's a connection. It's believed that Smith's first choice for defensive coordinator will be Cowboys DL coach Rod Marinelli, but Dallas may not let Marinelli out of his deal.

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast