Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 72 1231151 ... LastLast
    vCash

2014 Giants Off-Season Thread (Giants Have Re-Signed Beason)

2014 Giants Off-Season Thread

Key Dates:

Feb. 3 - Waiver system begins for 2014
    Jan. 24-Feb. 16 - Regional Combines
    Feb. 17 - First day to designate Franchise or Transition players
    Feb. 19-25 - NFL Scouting Combine
    March 8-11 - Clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with, the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2013 Player Contracts at 4 p.m. ET on March 11. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4 p.m. ET on March 11.

March 11 Prior to 4 p.m. ET, clubs must exercise options for 2014 on all players who have option clauses in their 2013 contracts
    Prior to 4 p.m. ET, clubs must submit Qualifying Offers to their Restricted Free Agents with expiring contracts and to whom they desire to retain a Right of First Refusal/Compensation
    Prior to 4 p.m. ET, clubs must submit a Minimum Salary Tender to retain exclusive negotiating rights to their players with expiring 2013 contracts and who have fewer than three Accrued Seasons of free agency credit
    Top-51 Begins. All clubs must be under the 2014 Salary Cap prior to 4 p.m. ET
    All 2013 player contracts will expire at 4 p.m. ET
    2014 Free agency period, League Year begins (4 p.m. ET)
    The first day of the 2014 League Year will end at 11:59:59 p.m. ET, on March 11. Clubs will receive a Personnel Notice that will include all transactions submitted to the league office during the period between 4 p.m. ET, and 11:59:59 p.m. ET, on March 11

April 21 Clubs with returning Head Coaches may begin offseason workout programs
    May 2 Deadline for Restricted Free Agents to sign Offer Sheets
    May 7 Deadline for Prior Club to exercise Right of First Refusal to Restricted Free Agents
    May 8-10 2014 NFL Draft (New York)

2014 Free Agents (per Spotrac.com)
    Restricted Free Agents:
    C Jim Cordle - Will not be tendered
    OL Dallas Reynolds - Tendered
    LB Mark Herzlich - Re-signed
    FB Henry Hynoski - Will not be tendered
    LB Spencer Paysinger - Tendered

Unrestricted Free Agents
    WR Hakeem Nicks
    CB Terrell Thomas
    DE Justin Tuck
    LB Jon Beason
    G Kevin Boothe
    S Stevie Brown - Re-signed
    RB Andre Brown
    K Josh Brown - Re-Signed
    OL David Diehl - Retired
    RB Peyton Hillis - Re-signed
    RB Brandon Jacobs - Retired
    DT Linval Joseph - Signs with Vikings
    CB Trumaine McBride - Re-Signed
    S Ryan Mundy - Signs with Bears
    WR Louis Murphy
    TE Brandon Myers - Contract Voided, Signs with Bucs
    QB Curtis Painter - Re-Signed
    TE Bear Pascoe
    DE Mike Patterson
    LB Keith Rivers
    DT Shaun Rogers
    CB Aaron Ross

Additions:
    TE Daniel Fells
    LB Spencer Adkins
    K Brandon McManus
    RB Rashad Jennings
    OG Geoff Schwartz
    LB O'Brien Schofield

Players Released:
    TE Brandon Myers
    CB Corey Webster
    C David Baas

Reserves/Futures Deals:
    DE Kendrick Adams
    OT Steven Baker
    RB Kendall Gaskins
    WR Marcus Harris
    DB Travis Howard
    DB Junior Mertile
    DB Chaz Powell
    DB Ross Weaver
    P Jordan Gay

Last edited by GGGGG-Men; 03-11-2014 at 05:40 PM.

vCash

vCash
    So it's reported we have about 14 mill in cap space and it can go up to 29 if certain cuts and restructing happens?

Quote Originally Posted by PraiseJesus View Post
    My PREDICITON OF LEBRON GOING TO THE KNICKS WAS SPOT ON!!!!

JUST AS ALL MINE ARE.

I'M NEVER WRONG

FREE MY SOURCE PraiseJesus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Giants #1 Fan View Post
    So it's reported we have about 14 mill in cap space and it can go up to 29 if certain cuts and restructing happens?
    Yeah there's a lot up in the air right now. Cuts and restructuring/extending to be done and some high price players to re-sign, so it's really going to be hard to get an idea of their true cap space until about March.

vCash
    damn...who's making money on this team besides Eli?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KnickVeteran View Post
    damn...who's making money on this team besides Eli?
    Biggest cap hits this past season were Rolle, Tuck, Kiwanuka, Nicks, Beatty, Diehl, JPP Cruz and Prince. none of them anywhere near Eli's cap hit.

Rolle will likely be extended or something so that money might get moved around to relieve cap next year. Tuck, Nicks and Diehl are FAs, so that money is done and depends on if they re-sign and for how much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Biggest cap hits this past season were Rolle, Tuck, Kiwanuka, Nicks, Beatty, Diehl, JPP Cruz and Prince. none of them anywhere near Eli's cap hit.

Rolle will likely be extended or something so that money might get moved around to relieve cap next year. Tuck, Nicks and Diehl are FAs, so that money is done and depends on if they re-sign and for how much.
    I see Tuck returning on a lower end deal with high incentives. Nicks is probably gone, but too bad we will lose him for nothing. Diehl might not even be asked to come back if the team can find the right replacement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade n Fade View Post
    I see Tuck returning on a lower end deal with high incentives. Nicks is probably gone, but too bad we will lose him for nothing. Diehl might not even be asked to come back if the team can find the right replacement.
    Diehl sounds like he could retire, but if he returns would be on a cheap veteran deal and serve as a backup. the oline just has to get better.

I think Nicks having a rough year and past injuries means he can be had for about the same deal that Cruz got and i think that's a solid value for this WR core. Maybe an incentive based deal. There's no way we re-sign him easily. he's definitely hitting the market to test his value and probably won't sign early in the FA period. I think 3-4 teams will be real high on him and then he'll bring his best offer back to the Giants to see what they'll counter.

I feel like Tuck will be back, but I also feel like the Giants will low ball him. I just can't imagine him on another team and don't want to. Would love for him to finish his career here.

For me the FA priority list goes:

Re-sign Beason
    Find an Olineman
    Re-Sign Tuck
    Re-sign Joseph
    Re-sign Nicks

And realistically, with how conservative our front office is and their strategy in finding high value low cost players....I think MAYBE 2 of those guys actually stay. Definitely Beason and then one of the remaining.

vCash
    BTW in addition to these big names the Giants need to re-sign, let's also remember there are 2 very important skills positions that need to be taken care of:

RB - Andre Brown is a FA and likely wants decent money. Hillis and Jacobs are FAs (Jacobs likely retiring) and Cox is....well, he's got a ways to go. Wilson might not ever play again much less next year.

TE - The annual search for a new tight end. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised for them to sign a very cheap veteran to compete in camp and try to push Donnell and/or Robinson into a starting role. Of course if there is an OC change and the new OC wants to get more out of his TEs, we may have to actually invest in signing a good one or drafting high.

FA Tight Ends:
    Tight Ends:

Jimmy Graham [New Orleans Saints] - At worst, Jimmy Graham has been the clear cut number two tight end in the league for the past two seasons. With elite athleticism and a natural feel for outmuscling defenders in space, Graham is a lethal weapon that figures to be a top priority for the Saints this offseason. In all likelihood, his new deal will exceed that of Gronkowski's signed not too long ago.

Jermichael Finley [Green Bay Packers] - The longtime underperformer seems to be primed for a huge season. Having packed on additional weight this offseason, the coaching staff has raved about his change in attitude and performance. Of course there's reason to be reluctant with Finley who has struggled with drops and has failed to play up to his potential. However, if he can put it all together, he should be handsomely rewarded again in the offseason.

Dennis Pitta [Baltimore Ravens] - The Ravens expect Pitta to return this season and play a big role in their offense down the stretch. Unless Ed Dickson overcomes his early season struggles or Dallas Clark knocks a couple years off his age, Pitta will hold more value for the Ravens than for any other team, making a new contract in the offseason very likely.

Brandon Pettigrew [Detroit Lions] - Plagued by drops and miscues, Brandon Pettigrew has been frustrating for the Lions. He's a solid blocker and has size as a receiver indicating that he'll get some attention this offseason. Though he may still hold value for the Lions, they know best as to his limitations and value.

Fred Davis [Washington Redskins] - This year figures to be the final shot for Fred Davis in Washington. Though he was solid early on last year before injury sidelined him for the remainder of the season, the Redskins offense survived fine without him. He'll have to find a role for himself and a quick connection with Griffin if he wants to stay in the picture.

Brandon Myers [New York Giants] - It'll be interesting to see how Myers fits in an offense drastically different from the one he excelled in in Oakland. The Giants rolled the dice on Myers and may not be afraid to do the same regardless of how he performs this season.

Dustin Keller [Miami Dolphins] - After an unfortunate gruesome knee injury, Keller's rehabbing will be monitored throughout the offseason. It would be a surprise to see him at any point next season, but it would surely be an encouraging storyline.

vCash
    Stating the obvious, the OL has to be our first priority and FA might help here.

I would look first at Alex Mack at C

Do not know if we will be able to afford any of the following offensive tackles but I certainly would explore:

Eugene Monroe, Brandon Albert Zack Strief, Jared Valdkeer as OT

AS to Guards, maybe Matt Slauson or Jon Asamoah.

If Hicks is gone I would look at Golden Tate.

There are not many really good FA running backs....Maurice Jones Drew, Ben Tate, Donald Brown..I don't know if Moreno from the Broncos is a FA

I doubt that we could afford him but Brian Orakpo would be an excellent OL

If we are looking to imporove our CBs then I would look at Brent GRimes, Tim Jennings, Chris Harris

As to TEs, Jimmy Graham will either be franchised or be way out of our price range. Maybe Dennis Pitta

vCash
    If we cut Kiwi, Webster, Myers, Baas we save a decent amount of money, also if Snee retires that's more money saved!

JUST AS ALL MINE ARE.

I'M NEVER WRONG

vCash
    I would kiss Reese's *** if he founded a way to sign Alex Mack which I doubt plus the Browns have a **** load of cap space so he's probably staying!

JUST AS ALL MINE ARE.

I'M NEVER WRONG

vCash
    I would kiss Reese's *** if he founded a way to sign Alex Mack which I doubt plus the Browns have a **** load of cap space so he's probably staying!
    Browns gotta choose between Mack or Ward. Haden was available all season and is a top 5 CB.

vCash
    If not Mack, what about Brian De La Puente from the Saints ?

vCash
    Only 9.5 months until kickoff

"We have been watching and waiting, but I wouldn't say we intend to continue to do that. I think you watch and wait to try and assess a situation and act accordingly. It might involve more waiting. It might involve moving in one direction or another. We've done plenty of watching and waiting. If we can move in a particular direction, we might do that."

Sandy Alderson: 2011.

Page 1 of 72 1231151 ... LastLast