Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tanaka?

vCash

Tanaka?

I'm bored so it's time to start another pipe dream.

With a maximum posting fee of $20 million, mid-market teams like braves have a greater chance at signing Japanese superstars.

Five teams with the best shot at Tanaka:

December, 25, 2013

By Jim Bowden | ESPN.com

5. Atlanta Braves

The Braves are a long shot here but also need him most. They are in desperate need of an elite starter, and a surprise bid might make sense, especially considering the new stadium revenues that are expected in the years to come.

Team president John Schuerholz oversaw 14 divisional titles in Atlanta thanks mostly to the trio of aces he had in Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine and John Smoltz. Although it would be difficult to ever get that level of starting pitching again, the Braves won't stop trying, and pairing Tanaka with Julio Teheran, Mike Minor and Kris Medlen would give the Braves a formidable rotation.

Tanaka is needed here if they want a chance to defend their NL East title with the improved Nationals breathing down their necks.
    http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/the-...e/post?id=8555

Would you like to see the braves pursue Tanaka? Discuss all things Tanaka here.

vCash

Tanaka?

I would love to but its not going to happen

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    I saw this posted in the MLB forum: http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...00012-dal-base

If you translate the text, it indicates the braves are prepared to offer $20 mil / year (I think).

vCash
    Well Jim Bowden is an idiot.

vCash
    I would love to see the Braves at least make a bid on him. However extending Jason and Freeman are more important to me....

To look at this from a different angle.... If the Braves think they can get more of Atlanta's Asian community ( and it's bigger than most think) to support the Braves by signing him, it may actually become a revenue booster. Allowing the Braves to increase payroll.

vCash

Tanaka?

It would make more sense if we didnt just give out 8 mil to Floyd

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    Floyd is irrelevant. We don't even know if he'll make the rotation. He could end up being a $4 million long-reliever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SB75 View Post
    I would love to see the Braves at least make a bid on him. However extending Jason and Freeman are more important to me....

To look at this from a different angle.... If the Braves think they can get more of Atlanta's Asian community ( and it's bigger than most think) to support the Braves by signing him, it may actually become a revenue booster. Allowing the Braves to increase payroll.
    Heyward is as good as gone once he becomes a free agent. The braves might have a shot at freeman, however.

Atlanta does have a lot of Koreans. In fact, I believe a Korean is running for senate. But I'm not too familiar with Asian culture, so I don't know if a Japanese signing would generate excitement among Koreans.
    Last edited by thomass; 12-29-2013 at 05:04 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thomass View Post
    Floyd is irrelevant. We don't even know if he'll make the rotation. He could end up being a $4 million long-reliever.
    Exactly Floyd would be irrelevant but 8 million isn't irrelevant

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    his base is 4. if he doesn't start, I'm assuming he'll get nowhere near 8.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thomass View Post
    his base is 4. if he doesn't start, I'm assuming he'll get nowhere near 8.
    Besides, he has a heck of alot of clauses to reach for his contract to even reach $8M. Tanaka won't sign here, but i agree Floyd should be irrelevant in the event of bettering the rotation.
    <span style=font-family: Georgia>[II][/I]</span>

vCash
    Westside is right about Gavin. Signing Tanaka would basically assure that Floyd makes 4 million.

Also, one could try and argue that ATL's interest in Tanaka is why they have not pursued other SPs. Tanaka signing with ATL means they don't need anyone else and Floyd is just insurance. Tanaka signing elsewhere, say the Cubs, might make a guy like Shark more obtainable. If it worked that way, Wren would be a closet genius.

vCash
    Braves can't risk 20M (A 1/5th of their payroll) on a Japanese pitcher.

vCash

Tanaka?

Again why would they sign Floyd and waste 4 million if they were planning to shell out 20 million for Tanaka? It's not happening because Floyd isn't irrelevant he's going to start for us.

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL#22 View Post
    Again why would they sign Floyd and waste 4 million if they were planning to shell out 20 million for Tanaka? It's not happening because Floyd isn't irrelevant he's going to start for us.
    Im just not so certain we can make that assumption. As we saw with Beachy, who's a much better pitcher than Floyd, he struggled at first, then had another setback. Floyd is just there to be this year's version of Freddy Garcia. Im definitely not making.a case for Tanaka, just saying Floyd won't stop Wren from cashing in on a sensible opportunity.
    <span style=font-family: Georgia>[II][/I]</span>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast