Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Why do people claim that they have no local NFL team?

I hear people say that they have no local team, but if you look at a map there is really only ONE state in the whole country that doesn't share a border with a state with an NFL franchise and that is Montana. It's not even geographically accurate to say you have no local team unless you live in Montana, everybody's state is next to another state with a team EXCEPT Montana. So why do people constantly claim that they have no local team?

vCash
    im not sure you know what local means

RETURN OF THE MAC

Rec: 57 Yards: 921 TD: 9

vCash
    Why do people claim that they have no local NFL team?
    That's an excellent question. Why do you believe people claim that they have no local NFL team?
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

vCash
    Local is a drive under a few hours, IMO.

Someone in Idaho probably goes to less Bronco/Seahawks games than actual local fans.

I know it'd be a pain in the *** to go see your team if you live more than a few hours away. It'd be rather pricey and time consuming.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansnightout View Post
    Local is a drive under a few hours, IMO.

Someone in Idaho probably goes to less Bronco/Seahawks games than actual local fans.

I know it'd be a pain in the *** to go see your team if you live more than a few hours away. It'd be rather pricey and time consuming.
    Exactly.

It's hard to even say what you would consider "local" as well. I hear people say that you should like a team in your state too, but there are plenty of Eagles fans in southern Jersey because of the aforementioned travel time even though the Giants would be considered "local" in the sense of a state.

I would say the "local" team would be more of what you're local cable network picks up, which is shown by geographical maps, but in the sense of a person living in say, Montana, wanting a more local team would be because they actually want to go see the team and not drive over 2 hours to go.

I'm lucky for sports because I'm within 2-3 hours of like 19 major sports teams (Eagles, Phillies, Flyers, Sixers, Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Islanders, Rangers, Devils, Knicks, Nets, Orioles, Wizards, Capitals, Nationals, Redskins, Ravens) It'd suck being in say Boise, ID and having no less than a 6 hour drive to any major city with a sport team. So, yeah, places that have to travel about a quarter of a day to see a sporting event, should want a closer team to root for.
    Last edited by koldjerky; 12-29-2013 at 03:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

vCash
    I think in the pros team location matters even less than in college, hs etc, where a lot of fans are local or alumni. There's only 32 teams, of course some people won't have local teams. Team location in the pros is kind of irrelevant.
    My Ignore list: Naps, bucketss, iknowhoops....

2014 Adopt a Packer
    Randall Cobb

Receptions: 54
    Yards: 779
    Tds: 10

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BearsBullsSox View Post
    I hear people say that they have no local team, but if you look at a map there is really only ONE state in the whole country that doesn't share a border with a state with an NFL franchise and that is Montana. It's not even geographically accurate to say you have no local team unless you live in Montana, everybody's state is next to another state with a team EXCEPT Montana. So why do people constantly claim that they have no local team?
    It's a neverending argument, but those who root for teams other than where they grew up when they were should be the exception, not the rule. In my opinion, I have no business rooting for any other team than my most immediate unless A.) I wasn't raised following the sport and made a decision in my adult or teenage life B.) There really is nothing close, and the closest isn't the only team, so there is a choice. C.) You were raised by parents who are fans of a team which are not around because they relocated when you were born.

I root for the red and gold because I was raised to root for the team of my city, because they represent my city, thus they represent me, not because they win, or look cool, or some other random reason. It's that simple.

Sports without loyalty is nothing, when it comes to fan-to-fan respect.
    Last edited by lol, please; 12-29-2013 at 04:09 PM.

Barry Lamar Bonds. .393/.967/1.054....on 3-0 counts.

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

vCash
    Because there are no pro teams in Iowa.

vCash
    I grew up in Portland, OR and Seattle is the closest and it's definitely not local. There are at least as many 49er fans in Portland as Seahawk fans.

I would venture to guess you live on or near the East Coast to think bordering a state puts you in close proximity. The Western states are huge and it takes awhile to get from one to another...
    2014 Bulls Forum NBA Redraft Champions!

PG: Jose Calderon / Aaron Brooks
    SG: Wesley Mathews / Tony Wroten
    SF: Chandler Parsons / Andrei Kirilenko
    PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Kyle O'Quinn
    C: Roy Hibbert / Kelly Olynyk

vCash
    So they can jump from bandwagon to bandwagon and always cheer from the lead.

vCash
    Alaska and Hawaii are states...you do know that right....you do know they don't have NFL teams or border states that do......check your facts and look up the word local as well
    Striving for a kinder, gentler PhillyFaninLA

vCash
    I'm an Eagles fan in so cal. I have no local team, but even if I did, I would choose the eagles. It's stupid when fans think you should only be a fan of your local team or be considered a bandwagon fan.
    Last edited by Lakers + Giants; 12-29-2013 at 07:53 PM.

That's what we celebrate with, not with bubble machines...

-----------------------------------------------------------

Like betting on sports? Sign up now!

https://www.bovada.lv/welcome/P1BF89...tcmpid=rafcopy

vCash

NJ has no NFL team. What difference does it make what State it Borders. The State I call home has no NFL team. Never did , never will. I didn't pull a map out when i was 5 to see what is the closest state with a team to route for. Nor do i think it would have made a difference. I am confrontational by nature. I didn't want to wear the same hat as everyone. If NJ had a team however i probably would be a fan of that team.

vCash
    You do realize when you look at a map, different cities/states appear much closer than they actually are?

vCash
    That upper North-West doesn't share borders..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast